cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fresh water tank capacity

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
40 gallons of fresh water used up in two short days. We are training 2 granddaughters how to conserve from this point on. Do you guys have any suggestions or pictures of what you do to add water to your tank when its dry. We borrowed a 5 gallon bucket and funnel. Didn't work so good. Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
mosseater wrote:
I'm probably one of the few who still does this, but it's cheap and quick. I use the green 6 gal jugs with the spout. I carry five of them and fill them when I get to the campground. Pull the vent plug out and tip the tapered spout in the fill hole. It empties in about 45 seconds or less. Yes, they're heavy, so not for everyone.

That's what I did and I always carry one of the cheap 4' step ladders and use that to rest the jug on while transfering so I don't have to hold the jug up to the spout.

For the OP 40 gal should last a lot longer than 2 days and IMO some water conservation training is called for in any event.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
mosseater wrote:
I'm probably one of the few who still does this, but it's cheap and quick. I use the green 6 gal jugs with the spout. I carry five of them and fill them when I get to the campground. Pull the vent plug out and tip the tapered spout in the fill hole. It empties in about 45 seconds or less. Yes, they're heavy, so not for everyone.

If too heavy -- you do not have to fill them all the way. A full 6 gal water jug will weigh ~55 lbs or so. A lot of weight to hold waist or chest high. I can do it, DW cannot. Half full is half the weight, but takes twice as long.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30 gallon tank and six 5 gallon deep rock drinking water bottles that we use to refill the holding fresh water tank as needed. We have been siphoning it but will be getting a pump to transfer it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

mec500
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bag-pump-combos

mec500
Explorer
Explorer
Wakeboard boat ballast bags work great for extra water and for around 200 you can get a high volume 12v pump and 70 gallon bag.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
mosseater wrote:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with transferring water manually, if that's your preference. I did it myself for the first couple of years we popup camped but once I added a shower to our camper and we started going through a lot more water that process got old pretty quickly for me so I went "motorized". There's also nothing wrong with Lynnmor's valved system either, if that's his preference ... unfortunately it seems to ruffle his feathers when others don't find his method as appealing as he does. :R

When someone uses expressions like "fool around" in an effort to dismiss the ideas of others, it is possible to ruffle feathers. There may be folks that want a system that doesn't require buying and installing a lot of extra hardware only to have it take up valuable space. I'm sure that most people already know that they can pump water if they buy pumps, wires, switches, tanks and hoses.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with transferring water manually, if that's your preference. I did it myself for the first couple of years we popup camped but once I added a shower to our camper and we started going through a lot more water that process got old pretty quickly for me so I went "motorized". There's also nothing wrong with Lynnmor's valved system either, if that's his preference ... unfortunately it seems to ruffle his feathers when others don't find his method as appealing as he does. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Turn 3 valves, fill tank, turn them back. Life is really tough for some. And to put up with no water pressure for a few minutes would be unbearable.

Unfortunate you can't think of anything better than a smart a$$ reply ... how immature. :S

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Turn 3 valves, fill tank, turn them back. Life is really tough for some. And to put up with no water pressure for a few minutes would be unbearable.

Don't forget to winterize the extra pump and plumbing.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pretty small fresh tank in our TT. 35 gallons is all we have. We have gone 5 days with 5 of us and that is with 3 being teenagers. Not hard to do if you learn to manage your water and bring separate water to drink. We do water bottles for drinking and bring an extra 5 to 10 gallons in jugs to wash dishes with.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
There is no need to buy a pump, switch, wires and a lot of hose. Your trailer came with a pump, just alter the plumbing so that you can pull water in the fresh water inlet and send it to the tank.

And as we've "discussed" before, perhaps you should also mentioned this means also having to fool around with switching valves each time you want to use that one pump for water transfer, during which time the water system can't be used by anyone else for it's normal purpose. To each his / her own but I'll say "Thanks, but no thanks". :W

x2. was really easy to just add a second pump in the pass through and plumb it into fresh water inlet.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
There is no need to buy a pump, switch, wires and a lot of hose. Your trailer came with a pump, just alter the plumbing so that you can pull water in the fresh water inlet and send it to the tank.

And as we've "discussed" before, perhaps you should also mentioned this means also having to fool around with switching valves each time you want to use that one pump for water transfer, during which time the water system can't be used by anyone else for it's normal purpose. To each his / her own but I'll say "Thanks, but no thanks". :W

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer