cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water

31_tundra
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are going to do some dry camping about 150 miles from home. What is the general consensus, fill fresh water tank prior to departure or, stop some place closer to destination to fill.
2005 Ford E-350 V-10
2020 Rockwood Signature 8332SB
20 REPLIES 20

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that contaminated water happens very often, but many people are partial to the taste of their own water. If you get water that doesn't taste like what you are used to, while it is not contaminated, it tastes bad.

I grew up on well water, and also Cleveland, OH water. After well water, the water in Cleveland always tasted bad to me. That was the worst water I have ever had, that I can recall. I will drink any water, but enjoy my Denver water or well water, the most.

I travel with full tank and water heater. We boondock most of the time, and I don't want to mess with finding, then filling, on the road.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fill before I leave. One less thing to do when I get there. And, I'm not always sure the quality of the water at the place where I am going.

I bought a used TT once that had been filled (most likely more then once) from a well that had hard water. It took a year before the chunks of rust stopped falling off of the inside of the tank and getting into the water supply. I had to remove and clean the pump several times because it kept getting plugged up.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I never have, anywhere, in 60 years of camping. But, I may just be immune too. After all, I'm one of those old timers that drank water from the garden hose, and right from the creek! I use to catch rain water off the roof of the house and drink that too as a kid! So maybe my immune system disqualifies me now. Better ask someone else!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody actually ever gotten contaminated water? You'd have to fill directly from the lake around here for that to be a possibility. Just wondering if things might be different in other areas of the country.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

31_tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. I think i am going to fill prior to departure.
2005 Ford E-350 V-10
2020 Rockwood Signature 8332SB

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from Arizona. We always travel with full water.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Whenever we're going dry camping I always fill the tank before leaving.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ZeeLet50 wrote:
I only travel with about 10 gal in the water tank. That way if we stop and have to go into trailer to use bathroom, I have flush water. Then I will fill at camp site or close option. My tank is in front of wheels and full would add to tongue weight. Plus the sloshing of 500lbs of water degrades the towing experience.

A partial tank sloshes a full tank does not.
10 gallons of water equals 80 ponds of sloshing.
A full tank does add dead weight but it is not sloshing n the tank.

I am a full tank traveler. I do not want to find the water source and then maneuver in to fill my tank.
Filling my tank takes about 20 minutes so time becomes another factor.
I also don't want to deal with water quality or contamination issues.
Filling at a dump station is certainly not my preferred choice.
I fill at home where I am in total control.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I know I can get water close to where I will be camping, I will always fill it there.
It is way too much weight to lug if you don't need to

jack L
Jack & Nanci

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if it's your first trip I would fill at home and watch for any gas stations or truck stops that would let you fill with water. I don't know about other states but here in Oregon for public use the water needs to be tested annually. the places we like to go boon docking have places along the route that we have used many times. One gas station we hit before the mountains, the old guy told me we are most welcome to use his water spout to fill any time we are there. the town ship also has dump station and fresh water spouts for travelers.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Tracking said, "And there you have it, about half of the people travel empty and about half of them travel full. It comes down to whatever makes you happy unless you're overloaded to start with."

Very well said and very well put! And that settles it!

Personally, I transport empty, and carry a 6 gallon jug in the camper with water from home. When we get to our destination, we'll use the water from home for coffee, boiling spaghetti, stuff like that. But normal drinking, is usually right out of the faucet.

I don't want to drag the extra weight if I don't have to, and although it's never happened to me, and many people successfully have never had this problem, I am still concerned about water tanks falling under the RV when they are full. (call me a chicken! that's ok. But my tank is still there!)

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
We always travel full of water - one less thing to mess with when we get there.l

This
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Both fresh water tanks full for me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I only travel with about 10 gal in the water tank. That way if we stop and have to go into trailer to use bathroom, I have flush water. Then I will fill at camp site or close option. My tank is in front of wheels and full would add to tongue weight. Plus the sloshing of 500lbs of water degrades the towing experience.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.