Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridgerator has ice accumulating

Brettmm92
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there,

My fridge has been accumulating ice both in the freezer and on that metal part inside the fridge. I was hoping it was normal and would stop but I'm starting to see that I must need to do something other than messing with the thermostat. It's starting to look like it might bend the metal part if it keeps accumulating. Another thing I noticed that when it was very humid outside during warmer months, there was condensation around the fridge. And I even had to wipe around the fridge gasket with cleaner to get rid of mold. If anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time!

Here's a picture, I couldnt figure out how to upload it directly here
http://tinypic.com/r/5vd6he/9
13 REPLIES 13

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
mike243 wrote:
Hey you got a part number for the fan or the place you bought it? I have been using a small fan that runs off 2 D size battery's but its about worn out thanks

Fridge section cooling fin fans

mike243
Explorer
Explorer
Hey you got a part number for the fan or the place you bought it? I have been using a small fan that runs off 2 D size battery's but its about worn out thanks

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Installed one of these 3 fan units and no more ice, better cold air distribution and more efficient fridge.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
arkie guide wrote:
If the unit has a drain in the freezer compartment ? be sure the drain is clear In a normal frig / freezer, the drain stops up, ice builds up. Good luck.

Good point. My gas electric fridge has the only drain below the fins in the refrigerator section. But, If it was plugged up it would keep more water in the fridge and ice would accumulate faster.

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
If the unit has a drain in the freezer compartment ? be sure the drain is clear In a normal frig / freezer, the drain stops up, ice builds up. Good luck.

Brettmm92
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input!
I especially enjoyed to hear caveman charlies story of the teenager. lol. And I see people writing about a gasket replacement and a defrost. Im not dismissing both ideas. But as far as a gasket replacement I'm kind of paranoid I wont be able to do it properly. But I have the cash and time, so I guess I'll watch a few videos or something and do it. And it needing a defrost would be ideal because that would mean that everythings normal. The fridge has been on for about 4 months with electricity. I hope that Bob shaw said isnt what is happening cause that sounds like a big pain but im starting to worry thats whats wrong. if I dont deforst soon enough would it damage anything?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
jetcare wrote:
That is a normal amount of ice for 30-45 day period. Just time to defrost it.

:H

Our fridge is ON 24/7/365
We FTd for 7 yrs and NEVER had that much ice build up on the fins in food compartment.

We would defrost freezer roughly every 3 months.....

OP
Door seals are leaking....warm/moist air is getting in.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
That is a normal amount of ice for 30-45 day period. Just time to defrost it.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little ice is normal in humid conditions. If you are getting a lot it could be your door seal or, just don't open the door so often. Not trying to be snarky. I'm just saying if you , or mambers of your family, like to leave the door open while you stare in the fridge it is going to let more moister in and ice will build up quicker.

I have a friend with a teenage son. He spends most of the day in his room playing computer games. ( I've been in his room, you don't want to spend to much time in there without a oxygen mask, the smell will knock you out.) A couple of times a day he prods upstairs in his shorts, opens the fridge, stares inside for several minutes, then yells "MOM THERE'S NOTHING TO EAT." I look in the fridge and it's full of food. I think it funny as heck. Of course I don't have to live with him.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Try turning the thermostat so it is nor so cold.
Try that for several days.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Brettmm92 wrote:
My fridge has been accumulating ice both in the freezer and on that metal part inside the fridge.

If your fridge has a climate control system which is designed to control the formation of ice around the freezer perimeter are you sure it's turned on? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
That little thing that attaches to the fins in your refrigerator (I forget what it's called) is either bad or has become detached. Mine is doing the same thing, in fact my after sitting for a few months, my freezer actually filled-up with ice. Apparently, my wife pulled the end off of ours when she was cleaning the fridge. It's a pain in the neck to replace, you have to pull the refrigerator out some to fish the new part back through to the back of the refrigerator.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
check the condition of the gasket around the door, ice is from condensation/moisture which has gotten inside and built up on the fins. A secure gasket and the door closing totally is the first issue.