cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

110v shore power dying, slowly?

RustyChops41
Explorer
Explorer
To sum it up, last summer (2016) I thought the fridge had died, but after a few days of ice chest living, discovered the GFI outlet in the bathroom had tripped. Problem solved, at least then. Fast forward to last week (Oct 2017) fridge dies again, but yellow light still on, GFI not tripped. Switched it to propane, working again. Last night window A/C unit starts tripping GFI every few minutes. Oh well. This morning very small 110v floor/room heater stopped working after about 30 minutes, but like the fridge, power light still on, GFI not tripped. It is as though the 110v system is not providing sufficient amperage to run certain things, but not shutting off either. 1994 Cobra. Any help is great.
13 REPLIES 13

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a few different symptoms that really should not be related to each other. My thoughts are that you have a trailer that's been wired incorrectly at some point. You need a real electrician at this point. Not a mobile RV mechanic, an actual electrician.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If the GFCI being tripped is rated for 15 amps (typical), the load of the window A/C or the heater may present a load higher than 15 amps. If there is anything else being powered by that same circuit, chances are you are over that theoretical 15 amps.

You can try using a different receptacle but older RV's are notorious for bad distribution, having just one or two circuits that power everything.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Could be a problem with distrobution. Is anyone else in the same RV park area having issues?

You need to know the actual voltage being provided, as others have mentioned. The appliances will have a tolerance for a low/high voltage range and strange things can happen when the voltage provided falls outside of this range and the appliance's rated operating amperage tries to compensate.

The voltage supplied (120 volts standard) does not provide "amperage". The presence of amperage (current) is determined by the "load" or draw of the appliances plugged in to the circuit which will be rated for capacity (30 amp for instance).

Please let us know what the voltage reading is at the post, if possible.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A/C should be on a dedicated non-GFCI circuit.
You need an electrician.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage drops means more current means higher amp draw. That's what makes appliances run hot. Also sounds like the gfci is old and weak.
(kinda like me??)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried hooking the space heater directly up to power pedestal - should rule out whether it's the heater or something in the rig. Also - GFI's tend to get sketchy (trip more often) as they get older. You might consider replacing the GFI as they don't cost much and it will narrow down the problem.

BTW - your not the lone ranger when it comes to loathing electrical issues.
Kevin

RustyChops41
Explorer
Explorer
1994 28' Cobra, in a mobile home park hooked up to shore power. TV is fine, Microwave next to fridge is fine. Space heater not working in any outlet, yet power light comes on, it's nearly new so likely not broken. The window A/C less than a year old, plugged into kitchen outlet pops the GFI after a few minutes, but a small 8" fan in the same outlet is fine. I loathe electrical stuff, it's just me

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As others have state, check voltage. Do so at both the oulets and at the pedestal outside.
I would also check the connections at the breakers in the panel. Manufacturers are notorious for not getting them tight.
FWIW, most of the items you mentioned (space heater & fridge) will use less current as voltage drops. So if your having issues with weak circuits, check connections first.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
AC and electric heater issue maybe sketchy power source - measure the voltage at the source. Fridge might be related or not - could be shorted/defective heater element (do a continuity test) or maybe fuse/ circuit board etc.

More info about your rig/setup would might help.
Kevin

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I would start at the breaker box. Make sure all connections are tight, including the neutrals. If that doesn't work pull the corresponding breaker and make sure the bus bar is clean and in good condition. Same thing on the main.
If that doesn't work you'll have some tracing to do. Sounds like something's loose.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a low voltage issue.
What is your source of electric?
Are you plugged into a 30amp outlet?
Are you in a campground?
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing you need to do is get a voltage tester. Than check the voltage at the post first. Next check voltage at various outlets in your RV. After all that you will have some useful information and you can post it. Then someone may be able to help you diagnose the likely problem.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a volt meter and learn how to use it. From your post I assume your sitting on one place with permanent hookups? 120VAC does not just slowly die. It either works or it does not work. You need to start at the pole and check voltage everywhere.