cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace died. 20 degrees

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood furnace died in the middle of the night and we woke up to a 32 degree camper. No idea what caused it. Fuse? Thermostat? Igniter? There's no "clicking" sound coming from the furnace, the fan isn't working either, but there is a "glow" where the brass coil connects to the furnace.

Help!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
I've never looked in an RV furnace, but I have watched my home furnace and my gas dryer ignite. In both these instances there is a piece of metal that glows red hot to ignite the gas. So I wonder if the RV furnace has the same type of device to light the propane.

If this is so he's getting electricity but the gas valve is not opening.

Don't know what OP is referring to (the glow) unless he has an LED on control board.....but it would be blinking indicating what the error was.

RV furnaces just like RV water heaters use pilot flame or a high voltage spark electrode for main flame ignition.

No glow plugs/coils.

OP is not getting power.......the furnace fan is not coming on.
It has to run first before anything else can/will happen.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I've never looked in an RV furnace, but I have watched my home furnace and my gas dryer ignite. In both these instances there is a piece of metal that glows red hot to ignite the gas. So I wonder if the RV furnace has the same type of device to light the propane.

If this is so he's getting electricity but the gas valve is not opening.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you mean by "There is a glow where the brass coil connects to the furnace." ?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My furnace 12VDC DC Blower FAN draws 6-8 AMPS on my big trailer. That will run down a small battery bank in a hurry if you are dry camping...

I work hard at having a PLAN-B for the important things like keeping warm haha...

What you don't want to do is run down your battery bank below 50% charge and not have a way to re-charge it... This may do harm to your batteries and may have to replace them,,,

It's all about PLAN-Bs for us...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
A failed "power supply" caused the furnace to not run in our old Class-C. We replaced it and the furnace fired right up.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dead battery..if you're dry camping.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First off whether you have propane or not will have nothing to do with furnace fan not coming on.........

No 12V DC power to furnace WILL.

There is a small on/off switch---circuit breaker located in furnace compartment.
Need to remove access cover....check if it has tripped. Low battery voltage can cause high amp draw and trip it.

You can also check if t-stat is faulty.....remove cover and then connect the two blue wires together. Furnace fan should come on and fire off....if so t-stat is bad.
If not then.....got to get power to fan blower before any other testing can be done...such as 12V DC at the timed delay relay.

Here is a generic troubleshooting guide.......LINK

Post which model of Atwood furnace for more specific info.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Prove you have propane and flow from the regulator by lighting all the stove burners at once,then check for batt charge with a meter then check for 12 volts at the furnace.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I remember reading in years past that the regulator on PP tanks will freeze. Folks install a light bulb up under the tank cover to keep it warm enough.

Just a thought - good luck!

Scott