cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuse blowing immediatly after shroud broke off and got wet

Ashune566
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to having an RV. A few weeks ago our AC shroud blew off (it was at a storage unit so we do not know how long it had been). Then we had a huge ice storm and lots of rain. My husband went to get it and go hunting/camping. He said that every time he turned everything on the same fuse kept blowing.

There was no air working and the microwave was not working. (Things that worked fine previously) He was trying to run the heat. Everything else worked fine.

Can someone help me as to what I may need to check to replace/fix.
9 REPLIES 9

Ashune566
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the breaker or GFCI would that be the cause for the same fuse to keep blowing?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure any outside receptacles are dry. Reset all of the GFCI outlets.
I'd suggest that you buy a handheld meter and learn how to use it. It will save you a ton of time and aggravation with your RV.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I agree with the previous two posts. You either have a GFCI or a breaker that is tripped. My bet is on a GFCI though. Those are the household outlets that have a test and reset button on them. There is probably more than one and one of them might be tripped.Look in hte bathroom, outside storage, and maybe at the external outlet under the awning. Press the test button and make sure it snaps the reset button out. If nothing happens press the reset button. If it resets then press the test button again to verify that it works. Make sure to press the reset button in firmly when your done testing.

For the breakers I would flip each breaker off. Then while it's off, push down extra hard toward the off position. If it was tripped it has to go further into the off position to reset it. Then flip it back on.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I have saw breakers that have tripped and appear to be closed (on) but are actually open (off)when just looking at them. You need to check each one by lightly touching the breaker handle to the off position, if it moves to the mid position it is tripped. If it is tripped you need to move it to the off position and then reclose it. JMT
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
GFI
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Ashune566
Explorer
Explorer
Also, we have a 6000 watt generator and we plug it into the 20 amp plug in.

Ashune566
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I were trying to figure out the problem... It is a fuse problem the breakers are all staying on and just 1 fuse is tripping. We changed the fuse and turned on the AC and it turned on! YAY.

The microwave still did nothing so we plugged in a cell phone cable and it did not work in that outlet but worked in all the other outlets. Then we tried the heater- and absolutely NOTHING. We did not hear anything. Our fridge light is coming on but absolutely not doing anything else. I opened the fridge door on the outside and everything was cold (as in not working) and nothing turned on. (I am going to try and unplug it and try the cell phone thing in the fridge outlet)but would the light still turn on if the outlet was not working?

Could it be an outlet issue for that side of my camper because the heater, fridge and microwave are all right next to each other?

So if I am correct I think my shroud blowing off has nothing to do with the electrical issues in my camper since the AC came on and worked. Is that correct thinking??

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trying to run heat.....furnace is 12V and t-stat controls both A/C and furnace.
So depending on model the 12V DC may go thru A/C controller.
A/C unit is partially exposed to elements (fan motor/condenser cooling unit) but the controls/contacts etc should not have been exposed as they are under the metal sealed cover for evap cooler and capacitors.
Sounds like when the AC shroud was whacked and knocked off the sealed cover was damaged and allowed water into the sealed area.
Need to go up on roof and remove metal cover/access plates and check for damaged wiring/burnt wires/controller.

As for the A/C Unit and Microwave not working.........was the trailer plugged into an AC power source?
If not......they won't work as they are 110V AC appliances
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You say a fuse blows but the fuses are for the 12VDC side. Things like the AC or microwave are protected by a breaker.
Can you clarify, is it a fuse or breaker issue?