cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas/Diesel and Resulting Transmission Temps

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have written a few times about the joys of towing with gas, but that isn't my intent this time. It's really to ask a question I haven't seen discussed here that has been on my mind . . .

Others have described the transmission temps they experience on this forum, and with my low-mileage F250 (2012) pulling a trailer about 11K pounds up the side of some mountains, I've seen much higher transmission temps. Even when the ambient temps have been quite pleasant. I've wondered why that might be. Frankly, I wondered if some people were BSing us. But now I have a theory:

So, going up the mountain, my engine is turning maybe 4500 to 5000 rpm's, sometimes a bit more, sometimes for fairly long periods. Everyone says that isn't a problem for a gas engine, and I believe that is so. BUT . . . a diesel will be running roughly half the rpms, which means that input shaft/gears are turning much closer to the speed of output shaft/gears with diesel. There is quite a mismatch in input/output speeds with a gas engine, which means, I should think, more gears and busier gears moving quite rapidly. It would seem to me that could result in significantly higher oil temps.

Does this make sense?
20 REPLIES 20

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
Most (all?) automatics have a cooling loop in the main radiator. Tow packages usually add a oil to air cooler as well. Pulling up a hill, the engine coolant is MUCH hotter, usually hotter then the tranny oil, and is actually heating the oil as it goes through the cooling loop. The aux cooler pulls some of that heat away, but the tranny temps climb. Before you reroute the cooling line to bypass the main radiator, when starting from a stop with a load, or any time the torque converter is unlocked, and you are under power it generates many times more heat then the aux cooler can dissipate, so you NEED the rad cooling loop.

The transmission cooler is in cold(er) tank of the radiator. It is much cooler than the engine coolant readout on the dash. Once the transmission is up to operating temperature the cooler in the radiator will be cooling the transmission fluid, not heating it. If the coolant was heating the transmission fluid then the engine would soon be toast too.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
carringb wrote:
The newer transmissions are designed to run hotter, as this lowers fluid viscosity which reduces drag and improves efficiency ever so slightly.

Not true for the current Allison. In 2011 they lowered the line pressure which resulted in significantly lower temps. I have yet to see mine even approach 200* pulling hills

Good to know. I guess i should have qualified that to say "newer Ford transmissions". Also related, the newer gas motors also have a higher T-stat opening temp than the older Triton motors. I've had a couple folks ask me about this because they were concerned, but I looked it up in the shop manual, and the new gas motors don't fully open the the thermostat until 211F.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Similar because this is comprised of several sub-systems to the main thermal management
system

Many, many variables and that there are controls that vary the FPM/GPH/PSI/etc
between them.

Another is the computers. Not just the ECU, but the tranny CPU/etc

Tranny CPU has torque management duties and it WILL throttle that back if the
temps reach the safety thresholds (several levels)
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda like the OP's theory, but interestingly, my trans temps are pretty similar towing the same trailer with diesel and gas. Not apples to apples, of course -- the diesel had the mighty Allison, while the gassers have been 1/2 tons.

The hottest temps I've seen have been going up a steep grade fast at full throttle -- the kind of grades we have here on I80 in Utah and Wyoming, where the road is straight and around 6-7% for a bit. I may have tried to see how fast I could go on a couple of those grades in the past, which caused my temps to rise quickly in both my diesel and my 1/2 ton gassers.

Stop and go traffic causes it to creep up there as well. Interestingly, slower but steeper roads (think 2-lane through the mountains at up to 10% grade and speeds in the 30-40 mph range) don't seem to generate much transmission heat in any of the rigs I've had.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
carringb wrote:
The newer transmissions are designed to run hotter, as this lowers fluid viscosity which reduces drag and improves efficiency ever so slightly.

Not true for the current Allison. In 2011 they lowered the line pressure which resulted in significantly lower temps. I have yet to see mine even approach 200* pulling hills

Interesting. My '06 would get a little hot. I'm struggling to remember the numbers on the dash gauge (I think the middle number was 190*? It has been a few years now ...), but towing, it was usually just to the cool side of the middle hash mark, and going up hills and in traffic, it would often creep just to the hot side of that hash mark. It would get up to about 3/4 if I mashed the throttle up a long high speed ascent like Parleys Canyon, where you have enough straight road to do 70 up a 7% grade. I guess I don't know what the actual numbers were, since I didn't have a digital readout.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Duramax with Allison trans;

Running with Valvoline Dex VI, I have hit 190 on one occasion....towing on warm day in mountains. I am amazed at how cool it runs towing a 15,000 lb. fifth wheel. Over 35,000 miles towing this combo and temps usually below 160.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Most (all?) automatics have a cooling loop in the main radiator. Tow packages usually add a oil to air cooler as well. Pulling up a hill, the engine coolant is MUCH hotter, usually hotter then the tranny oil, and is actually heating the oil as it goes through the cooling loop. The aux cooler pulls some of that heat away, but the tranny temps climb. Before you reroute the cooling line to bypass the main radiator, when starting from a stop with a load, or any time the torque converter is unlocked, and you are under power it generates many times more heat then the aux cooler can dissipate, so you NEED the rad cooling loop.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good information. Thanks for these responses.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also pulling with a 6.2 Ford and compared to other Fords I have owned the transmission temp runs higher all the time when using the readout on the information center. It may have to do with were they take the reading but it's normal and it seams to be constant. Mine always stays around 200 and as high as 220 when pulling hard up a grade.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
The flash point of ATF is over 300 degrees and that is when you need to be concerned. If I am towing up a grade at elevation I expect to see a higher ATF temperature but as soon as I start down the other side the temperature starts to drop and continues to drop as I drive.

A friend of mine is an engineer for GM. He works in the transmission dyno/test lab.

A few points he tried to drive home with me:
1) Dexron VI starts to break down at 270°. Stay under that number (not 300°), and you'll be fine.
2) No matter what you're doing to your truck, the test guys have already done it, and worse. Loads, grades, temperatures - they've thrown it all at the truck.
3) The factory transmission cooler is designed to keep the transmission within acceptable operating temperatures in a worst-case scenario. Installing an aftermarket cooler is not necessary.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
With the tow package you should get a larger cooler unit for the transmission. You also get tow/haul mode which causes the torque converter to stay locked more of the time and this keeps the ATF running cooler.

The problem with towing up a grade is that the load on the transmission is the greatest and at the same time the speed of the truck is reduced so there is less air flowing over the cooling fins and if at elevation the air is thinner as well. This is even worse with high ambient air temperatures.

The flash point of ATF is over 300 degrees and that is when you need to be concerned. If I am towing up a grade at elevation I expect to see a higher ATF temperature but as soon as I start down the other side the temperature starts to drop and continues to drop as I drive.

If you want to lower the maximum ATF temp when going up a grade you can have a larger oil pan installed and double the amount of ATF in the transmission and have a larger fluid reservoir to absorb the heat. Another option is adding a larger cooler to the transmission in place of the factory one.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have several variables in play...

-electric vs belt-driven radiator fan
-velocity of air through the various heat exchangers
-torque converter locking and unlocking
-frequency of transmission shifts

On our last trip, we pulled the TT on I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnel, and did some slow, crawling 4-wheeling in Moab. Ambient temperature on I-70 was 75°, the temperature when we were four wheeling was over 100°. Both times, my trans temp was in the low 230s.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)