cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM 6.6 gas

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Not much talked about here on the new GM 6.6 engine. Whats the thoughts from people that own one? I may be interested in getting one next year if it has the 10 speed transmission.
Wish there was a bit more published testing other than those two guys that don't seem to really know what they're doing. Please don't refer to them since the test they did mentioned that the truck was floored and it showed the RPMs at like 3600 or what ever it was. But any real life input would be appreciated.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley
38 REPLIES 38

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there something wrong with the Allison transmission in GM pickups?

Other than it doesn't have 4 overdrive speeds mostly useless for towing?

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I remember when the old power glide automatic only had 2 speeds.

My family had a '63 and a '67 BelAir. The '63 had the 230 6 cylinder. It didn't have enough torque to use a third gear anyway so we really didn't notice the absence of a gear very much. The '67 had the 283 and always sounded like it needed to shift again but it was reliable and held up for quite a few miles. Then we got a '70 Impala with a 350 and a 3 speed transmission. Compared with the '67 it was bigger, more powerful, better to drive and gave better fuel economy. I inherited it in 1980 and drove it for 22 years. I only got rid of it then because I inherited a newer vehicle.

If you think that a 2 speed transmission was lacking my father used to talk about the '53 Buick with a single speed transmission but two torque converters.

Buick Dynaflow
If I remember correctly it was capable of being push started even though it had a automatic. Dad use to have a old early 50's Roadmaster with the big straight eight engine. In the Greyhound Museum in Hibbing Minnesota Greyhound use to use the big straight eight motor in a few of it's in town transit buses.

The irony of a 6 speed not being sufficient considering where we come from. Still don't understand why GM is not using the 10 speed when it was a joint venture between Ford and GM?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:

My family had a '63 and a '67 BelAir. The '63 had the 230 6 cylinder. It didn't have enough torque to use a third gear anyway so we really didn't notice the absence of a gear very much. The '67 had the 283 and always sounded like it needed to shift again but it was reliable and held up for quite a few miles. Then we got a '70 Impala with a 350 and a 3 speed transmission. Compared with the '67 it was bigger, more powerful, better to drive and gave better fuel economy. I inherited it in 1980 and drove it for 22 years. I only got rid of it then because I inherited a newer vehicle.

If you think that a 2 speed transmission was lacking my father used to talk about the '53 Buick with a single speed transmission but two torque converters.

Buick Dynaflow

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
I have over 7000 miles on my 2020 Silverado 3500 6.6 GAS. It is definitely an improvement over my 2016 Silverado 3500 6.0 GAS. It gets a little better fuel mileage and I definitely notice the increased torque on the hills hauling all the camping stuff. Six speeds is plenty for me moving 19000 pounds of stuff. Three speeds used to work for me also in the past. Imagine that!
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksss wrote:
I would love to know what GM was thinking by not using the 10 speed in the 6.6 gas HD. Maybe supply issues? Whatever the reason it is costing them sales. The 6 may be ok, but the 10 speed would be better. The 10 speed provides 4 more opportunities for the truck to run in its power band, it would likely make the 6.6 feel more powerful. I would like to test drive one myself just to see what its about.

The 10 speed transmission certainly helped Ford get the power to the ground.

Ford 10 speed vs 6 speed drag race

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 10-speed was a joint dev effort between Ford and GM so not sure why Ford is in market with it sooner? The 8L90 8-speed has also been around so not sure why you can't get it in a truck?

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to know what GM was thinking by not using the 10 speed in the 6.6 gas HD. Maybe supply issues? Whatever the reason it is costing them sales. The 6 may be ok, but the 10 speed would be better. The 10 speed provides 4 more opportunities for the truck to run in its power band, it would likely make the 6.6 feel more powerful. I would like to test drive one myself just to see what its about.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
gmckenzie wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
I would wait for the 8/10 speed and 4.10 gears, then GM will have a nice gas truck.

Partly why I'm thinking Ford. Downside is I think the 7.3 is dumbed down a bit too much.

I like what Ford did with the motor but I like the small block GM motor and I am not a fan of the empty ride of a Ford HD truck.

The 6.6 back in the day would have been considered big block, 402 ci.

I've had (2) 3/4 tons.....1 chevy and a Ram, both kicked like a mule empty.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
I would wait for the 8/10 speed and 4.10 gears, then GM will have a nice gas truck.

Partly why I'm thinking Ford. Downside is I think the 7.3 is dumbed down a bit too much.

I like what Ford did with the motor but I like the small block GM motor and I am not a fan of the empty ride of a Ford HD truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lly-zf6 wrote:

My guess is it would be fine at 14k as long as you don't live in the Rockies.

He do.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gas engine automatics head for whatever speed is direct once pulling power is needed. Multiple overdrives are great for empty truck, downhill, and downhill with tailwind.

4.30 rear ratio and normally aspirated gasohol engine would likely make a nice combination.

The Fast Lane Truck channel ran a 7.3 gas Ford loaner with 4.30 ratio up โ€œThe Ike Gauntletโ€ - he towed pretty good compared to other higher geared trucks.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
without the 10 speed transmission, I wouldn't consider it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II