cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks. At least up here, I'm seeing most HD trucks with the AWD option. I'm not so sure that's a good idea in my neck of the woods. What are your thoughts?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
106 REPLIES 106

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes Chris, evidently some GM 2500 models do have a GVWR of 11,350, and RAWR 6,600. I read it right on the window sticker of exact truck that Rob was initially going to purchase. They have an upgraded suspension, and seemly ignore earlier class 2 limit of 10K

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Well, since the original truck I wanted to buy has been "in transit" since January and nowhere to be found, yesterday I pulled the trigger and agreed to a deal on a different 2020 Silverado 2500HD 4WD with the Duramax and Allison 10 speed transmission......kind of! The truck is at a different dealer than who I'm going through so they have to complete a dealer trade. I'll know tomorrow if they can get that part of the deal done. Then I have advised the dealer that before they finalize the trade with the other dealer, I want pictures of the stickers to make sure the payload is good, the RAWR is good, etc. I already know it has the 11,300 GVWR so I'm 90% sure the rest of the numbers will work but I'm leaving nothing to chance. If they can get that stuff done, I'll have a new truck in a few days. If not, I'm back at square one. I hate this whole process. I must have talked with a dozen dealers. Offers were all over the place on both a purchase price of a new truck and the trade in allowance I would get for my 2017 Ram. I had prices from $600 below invoice which is what I agreed to buy the truck for, to only $500 off the MSRP. The trade in allowance varied by over $6000! I'm sure I left money on the table, most people do, but I still got a good deal.

I do not believe a 2500 will have a 11,300 GVWR. More like 10,650. RGAWR will be 6,600.

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/silverado/2500hd/build-and-price/features/trims/table?section=Highl...

The new 2020 models can be ordered with the 11,300 GVWR and the one I'm interested in has it. It's part of their beefed up towing capabilities in the new trucks.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Well, since the original truck I wanted to buy has been "in transit" since January and nowhere to be found, yesterday I pulled the trigger and agreed to a deal on a different 2020 Silverado 2500HD 4WD with the Duramax and Allison 10 speed transmission......kind of! The truck is at a different dealer than who I'm going through so they have to complete a dealer trade. I'll know tomorrow if they can get that part of the deal done. Then I have advised the dealer that before they finalize the trade with the other dealer, I want pictures of the stickers to make sure the payload is good, the RAWR is good, etc. I already know it has the 11,300 GVWR so I'm 90% sure the rest of the numbers will work but I'm leaving nothing to chance. If they can get that stuff done, I'll have a new truck in a few days. If not, I'm back at square one. I hate this whole process. I must have talked with a dozen dealers. Offers were all over the place on both a purchase price of a new truck and the trade in allowance I would get for my 2017 Ram. I had prices from $600 below invoice which is what I agreed to buy the truck for, to only $500 off the MSRP. The trade in allowance varied by over $6000! I'm sure I left money on the table, most people do, but I still got a good deal.

I do not believe a 2500 will have a 11,300 GVWR. More like 10,650. RGAWR will be 6,600.

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/silverado/2500hd/build-and-price/features/trims/table?section=Highl...
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things work out. I'll post an update when I know if the deal goes through or not.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers around here are not having much luck dealer trading. There are precious few GM HDs to be had and those that have them are not trading. Hopefully its different where your at. The local dealers have not had a new HD to sell for a month. The ones preordered to customers preCovid are the only ones arriving and those are painfully slow.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

Hope it works out for you, they are fantastic trucks. Love mine so far!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aaaaand some of the responses here are likely “why” mfgs are just dummy proofing and going to more auto 4wd and awd setups....

Too many people who don’t even conceptually understand the operation of an automobile.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyJ wrote:
One big advantage to 4wd, is kits allow for 2-Lo.

You have massive torque multiplication for back up heavy trailers, especially up grades. My old truck spends quite a bit of time in 2Lo. Easier on the engine and transmission.

Less of a factor with modern 8 - 10 spd transmissions, but still nice to have.

Sure be nice to have 2-low kit available as a factory standard, or at least option. Worked great with the old manual locking hubs.

I'm thinking that GMs available, option, with auto system will work great for OP, as described by people in the know.

Jerry

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
One big advantage to 4wd, is kits allow for 2-Lo.

You have massive torque multiplication for back up heavy trailers, especially up grades. My old truck spends quite a bit of time in 2Lo. Easier on the engine and transmission.

Less of a factor with modern 8 - 10 spd transmissions, but still nice to have.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
AWD and traction control probably would have worked well in that situation.

Traditional 4x4, even with a limited slip or locking rear diff, is at best a THREE wheel drive system, and that one front wheel that's spinning doesn't bring anything to the party except some slung mud. If you've got open diffs front and rear then you're down to a TWO wheel drive system, and the wheels that get power are always the ones with the LEAST traction.

AWD doesn't let you get to that point. If you're stuck, you're truly stuck because all four wheels have no traction. You're not stuck because the two wheels that might be able to get a little bite are just sitting there while the other two spin.

AWD will cover 99.99999% of cases, except maybe rock crawling or mud bogging. If you're doing those with a brand new production vehicle, I'd call your sanity into question.

I have seen a AWD stuck spinning each wheel, then taking power from the spinning wheel, until finally. It took power from all the wheels. and it just sat there doing nothing.

This right here is the problem with AWD - I have a Ford Explorer - work vehicle. The first snow, going up a hill, the wheels started to slip, all wheels started to slip. It didn't matter how much I pushed my foot down, it wouldn't go. Started to roll backwards. I had to play with the AWD functions, found one where it turns of the limited slip. Then I could spin the wheels until I could power up the hill. Went and bought studded tires as soon as the weather allowed me to get out. A truck with this feature would be useless unless you can turn it off.

From other posts, it sounds like a similar feature on a Yukon I used to have, Auto was a 4WD feature that would engage the front if it started to slip. Not sure if it worked, but I would turn it on if the roads were slippery but not enough for true 4WD. This is OK and a nice piece of mind, but a truck needs a true 4x4 transfer case.

I think you are referring to traction control. You cannot turn off a limited slip diff. Yes there are plenty of scenarios where it is beneficial to turn off tractoin control. I think many are over complicating the use of these systems.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Lol it's just an option over the regular 4WD that it still has. Relax people.

"The available Autotrac system is a 2-speed automatic, active transfer case. The system provides five modes: Auto4WD, 4HI, 4LO, 2HI and Neutral."
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a lot of different four wheel trucks over the years. My 1976 K20 Chevy had full time four wheel drive. I converted it to standard four wheel drive with a Mile Maker kit. Kit had wages to locked up the center differential and added locking hubs on the front wheels. Mileage increase noticeably. The 2004 Buick Rainier that just got totaled had a wretched AWD system that used special GM fluid. The clutches in the transfer case would start grabbing at 30K intervals, and require a fluid change. It got trouble miles. Lucky both my 2001.5 and 2015 RAM's had/have CAD's (Center Axle Disconnect) that keeps front drive shaft front turning when in two wheel drive. This improves mileage and driving feel.

I would never by a HD truck with AWD! With the current 2015 RAM they recommend turning off traction control when in snow in four wheel drive, to keep it from doing the happy dance noted in some of the post in this thread.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Terryallan wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
AWD and traction control probably would have worked well in that situation.

Traditional 4x4, even with a limited slip or locking rear diff, is at best a THREE wheel drive system, and that one front wheel that's spinning doesn't bring anything to the party except some slung mud. If you've got open diffs front and rear then you're down to a TWO wheel drive system, and the wheels that get power are always the ones with the LEAST traction.

AWD doesn't let you get to that point. If you're stuck, you're truly stuck because all four wheels have no traction. You're not stuck because the two wheels that might be able to get a little bite are just sitting there while the other two spin.

AWD will cover 99.99999% of cases, except maybe rock crawling or mud bogging. If you're doing those with a brand new production vehicle, I'd call your sanity into question.

I have seen a AWD stuck spinning each wheel, then taking power from the spinning wheel, until finally. It took power from all the wheels. and it just sat there doing nothing.

Yup, and I have seen 4x4's stuck spinning ALL the wheels, mud flying, going nowhere too.

What's your point? You can come up with a corner case for ANY kind of drive system where it will fail and leave you stuck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the electronic Autotrac is an option on LT, and standard on the LTZ and High Country. The WT and standard LT do not get the Auto button.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS