cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM overstates 2014 tow ratings by almost 25%

EXSlider400
Explorer
Explorer
Before I start, I have owned several Sierras and never an issue. Current truck has no real issues....except.....

GM overstated tow ratings by almost 25% on 2014 1500 NBS half ton Sierra Silverado with 3.08 gears.

GMC is wanting to royally screw me. They sent me a recall for owners manual that lowered my tow rating on 3.08 geared truck by 2,000 pounds (from 8,600 to 6,600). Now my camper is overweight at 7,600, even though when I bought the truck I was 1000 pounds under the trucks limit. My Insurance and Allied have both sent me a letter saying they are not liable for any damages/injuries because my camper is over weight, and GM's solution is to have me trade in my truck for one with lower gears....AND WANTS ME TO PAY THE EXTRA COST!!!! I turned down that ridiculous slap in the face so waiting for what their final offer will be today but pretty sure it will also be insulting. They act like this is my fault and they are helping me out by allowing me to trade in my truck and ultimately pay more money!!

This includes starting over on my payments and everything. This will cost me around 17,000 (low trade in price, higher monthly note on brand new truck over another 6 years)which I don't have the funds for. I even offed a deal so my payments would be an additional $50 per month and I would still start over on my 6 years of payments (currently 9 months in). So we have been camping in the back yard as pulling is it not worth the liability.

So I am talking to Attorney but without saying what he wants to do (probably take his route anyway), I was looking at trading my 2004 Jayco Eagle for a 2011 Forest River Surveyor Sport 293 and force GM to pay the difference.

Are these any good?
2014 SLT CC 4x4 Short Bed, Trans & Oil Coolers, Towing Package, Integrated Trailer Brake with Anti-Sway Control, Safety Package
Pulling a 2004 Jayco Eagle 298 BHSw/ WD & Sway Bars
100 REPLIES 100

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
98coachman wrote:
Still havn't heard from GM on my 2014 Silverado 1500 about recall that he is stating!!! Is this just a GMC issue????? I'm almost thinking your right about him playing GM to get a nicer truck!

Look in your owners manual. I believe that this applied to the Sierra Owners manaual only. The GMC Towing guide and Electronic Order Guide were correct.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Still havn't heard from GM on my 2014 Silverado 1500 about recall that he is stating!!! Is this just a GMC issue????? I'm almost thinking your right about him playing GM to get a nicer truck!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Gr8life wrote:
Could it be so simple that the OP wanted to use a typo In the manual to pressure GM into a sweetheart deal on a Denali or help purchasing a lighter trailer? Apparently it worked.

Maybe. But I would bet money the dealer made out on the positive side. Some of my higher margins have been when the other side thought they had me bent over on the deal. (not automotive related)

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be so simple that the OP wanted to use a typo In the manual to pressure GM into a sweetheart deal on a Denali or help purchasing a lighter trailer? Apparently it worked.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only junk i see is the GM trucks!

I was on your side untill you stated you bought another 1/2 ton to tow what i am with my 3/4 ton. And no letter or sticker as was asked for.

Oh well!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
All of this and still no payload sticker for either truck. What a waste of time
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

EXSlider400
Explorer
Explorer
ok, I appreciate the help from the ones that helped. Yes, I am not an expert on TT towing. I have owned GM and Fords. I said already I liked the truck I traded in so no GM bashing just sharing info where others may be in same situation and using forum to get help and advice (although granted I should have waited on trading it in so quickly, GM has never addressed it either). If anything, I would say I had a new 2013 5.0 Convertible Mustang Premium that was junk.....but pretty junk. I still own a restored 1967 GT. But none the less I will not post anymore...don't want to be fishy. Again, thank you for the ones who read the info and helped.
Pics so wont smell fishy.

2014 SLT CC 4x4 Short Bed, Trans & Oil Coolers, Towing Package, Integrated Trailer Brake with Anti-Sway Control, Safety Package
Pulling a 2004 Jayco Eagle 298 BHSw/ WD & Sway Bars

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Going for ten pages of GM bashing. May not be a record but a pretty good accomplishment. Facts and figures are being incrementally displayed to keep it going. Yellow sticker information and scale readings have been available since page one, but where are they? Where is the "Letter from the insurance company" that prompted all this? How many more are going to tell him that an overloaded vehicle is more dangerous than one with a slightly different rear axle ratio?

The reason why this thread has reached 10 pages is because instigators have kept it going. If you smell a fish, say something and walk away. No reason to keep poking and prodding. I don't know where the truth lies in the middle of this mess, but the OP has probably posted the least on here once it got rolling good.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you say 10 pages of GM bashing? I see 10 pages of questioning the OP for information supporting his original post. Or questioning the fact he traded for another 1/2 ton that may have a lighter payload than the original one.

TomG2 wrote:
Going for ten pages of GM bashing. May not be a record but a pretty good accomplishment. Facts and figures are being incrementally displayed to keep it going. Yellow sticker information and scale readings have been available since page one, but where are they? Where is the "Letter from the insurance company" that prompted all this? How many more are going to tell him that an overloaded vehicle is more dangerous than one with a slightly different rear axle ratio?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP thinks it is fixed and seems to be happy - another fine example of ignorance is bliss. He won't be heard from again.

Don't think this was a GM bash at all...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What does this sticker say for your proposed new truck?

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
EXSlider400 wrote:
Here is the door sticker from 3.08

here is the 3.42

I will pull across scales next time I get a chance. I may have messed up with GVWR, but am better on the tow ratings. Depends on what scales say.

You haven't fixed anything. 1/2 tons will run out of GVWR long before GCWR is reached with a TT... So the Denali is rated the same where it counts, and is a heavier truck.. so in essence you have less useable load.

You mentioned a while ago that most people don't truly understand tow ratings, this thread should have taught you that you are one of them.

Tow ratings are fairly meaningless, unless you weigh 150lbs and carry NOTHING in the truck with you.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that if there is one lesson to be learned from these 9 pages of comments, it is that towing and RV is much more involved that first meet the eye.

However, there are two things we should all keep in mind.
* First, not everyone is an experienced RV owner or technically minded individual. If the manual, dealer or spiffy add says you can tow it, they assume you can tow it. Why shouldnโ€™t they? Max cargo, tongue weight percentage, gear ratios and etc. are nebulous terms used by gearheads and other geeks.

* Second there are legions of blissfully ignorant RV owner who have pulled miss-matched TV and TT combination for decades and will continue to do so in the future. For them, it works why change it.

Those with limited vacation time and short range destinations will probably never accumulate enough wear and tear on their TV to be of significance.

Sure I like to play with the numbers but I also understand that many other RV owners do not.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.