GM's turn in the barrel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
31 REPLIES 31

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer

I find it interesting that the world's 15 biggest container ships create more air pollution than all of the cars in the world.

and ironically, they could be the very ships delivering car and truck parts to the US. !

RADROG
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I have to wonder how much pollution is estimated to come from vehicles, as opposed to chemical companies, power companies, manufacturing, etc. Seems its easier to put strict regulations on vehicles, which may or may not be the primary cause of pollution, and ease up on commercial enterprises.

We have gotten to a point where the air is substantially cleaner, and that is something for which we should all be grateful... but to make the regulations more and more draconian doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

I find it interesting that the world's 15 biggest container ships create more air pollution than all of the cars in the world.
2005 American Tradition 370 Cummins ISL

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
STEVEO496 wrote:
So 700 and some odd thousand owners of these trucks are concerned about the emissions levels of these trucks to the point that they're filing a suit against the manufacturer? If they're so concerned about the environment why aren't they driving Prius's instead of 3/4 ton and larger pick-up trucks?

I'd like to see you pull a 12000Lb+ fiver with a Prius ! :B

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
This is not the gov like VW and FCA ,its a law firm with a history of filling class actions and then looking for 'injured' parties.

That is how it started with FCA last year and it eventually led to the EPA getting involved earlier this year.

Dodge Truck Owners Accuse Chrysler of VW-Like Cheating

common supplier in all this is R Bosch right? did the arrogant europeans think nobody would catch on, do they think americans are stupid?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
I have to wonder how much pollution is estimated to come from vehicles, as opposed to chemical companies, power companies, manufacturing, etc. Seems its easier to put strict regulations on vehicles, which may or may not be the primary cause of pollution, and ease up on commercial enterprises.

We have gotten to a point where the air is substantially cleaner, and that is something for which we should all be grateful... but to make the regulations more and more draconian doesn't seem like the right way to do it.

How highly paid is your lobbyist. You don't pay him/her millions per year? That could be the problem.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Will have to check the donor tally, but I'm guessing the front office will make this problem disappear.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
This is not the gov like VW and FCA ,its a law firm with a history of filling class actions and then looking for 'injured' parties.

That is how it started with FCA last year and it eventually led to the EPA getting involved earlier this year.

Dodge Truck Owners Accuse Chrysler of VW-Like Cheating
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
What amazed me on the VW scandal and this possible issue, is that these companies have not learned for past times when automakers got "caught with their hand in the cookie jar !"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
It will get interesting, the Government went out of its way a few years ago to declare preferred stockholders shares worthless ...

Very few people understand exactly what happened and the impact that had on the investing community ! It was certainly a "dark day" !

Some people are right back in there saying, "they can't declare bankruptcy again very soon !"

The courts have ruled that GN can not dodge the ignition switch problem lawsuits by saying, "that was the old GM !" I read a detailed report on that whole mess. Total large corporation mass confusion, with everyone blame someone else or just ignoring the data staring them in the face.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
STEVEO496 wrote:
So 700 and some odd thousand owners of these trucks are concerned about the emissions levels of these trucks to the point that they're filing a suit against the manufacturer? If they're so concerned about the environment why aren't they driving Prius's instead of 3/4 ton and larger pick-up trucks?

This kind of reminds me of the "sue-and-settle" tactic that the EPA and enviro groups got caught using a few years back which taxpayers ended up footing the bill for.

EPA's Secret And Costly 'Sue And Settle' Collusion With Environmental Organizations
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
It will get interesting, the Government went out of its way a few years ago to declare preferred stockholders shares worthless and then largely gave the company to the unions, is the same Government now going to slam the unions for what they have done with their free booty?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
TexasChaps wrote:
"The complaint underscores questions about the credibility of diesel technology"

had to laugh at that one.. perhaps we should examine the credibility of the paid for EPA and their protectionist standards ?

It makes me think about unreasonable mandates. Who might have more experience with physics, the engineers or the career politicians and eviro wackos? They didn't do any of this just to be evil and criminal. They may be up against unreasonable demands that would remove the products from our use. There is an agenda and it doesn't include us doing what we are doing.