Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM sale numbers falling even with new pickup line

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
GM Dealers Say Low Demand, Not Lack of Supply Explain Poor Truck Sales

Submitted by Mark Modica on Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:41

The past month has brought much confusion and concern for General Motors' shareholders regarding the most important and profitable segment of sales for the company. As the company prepares to report earnings for the third quarter this week, media reports are still unclear on just what is going on with GM's new truck lineup; specifically pertaining to the reasons behind the disappointing sales figures that were reported for the month of September when Ford's truck offerings left them in the dust.

While GM's Obama-appointed management spun the story (claiming supply could not keep up with demand) to some in the media who are gullible enough to print the misinformation without question, some GM dealers were more honest with their assessment.

GM's management has lots of experience when it comes to trying to deceptively explain away poor sales of much-hyped vehicles. The Chevy Volt has never lived up to expectations and the same "supply can't keep up with demand" excuse was used, even as GM temporarily halted production at plants making the vehicle due to the embarrassing sales. As those in GM management present their case as virtuously as politicians seeking reelection, some at GM's dealerships (who have a bit more credibility) give a clearer picture as reported by Automotive News.

The article quotes one Florida Chevy dealership general manager as saying that the 2014 Chevy Silverado (GM's bread and butter pickup) is selling "very poorly." The president of another dealership in Texas says his supply of Silverados was up to 170 days compared to his previous average of 110 days. Yet another principal of four Texas dealerships said his truck supply was up to 120 days compared to the typical 90 day supply. Assuming that the management and owners of Chevy dealerships are not part of a right-wing conspiracy to hurt GM because of its ties to President Obama, it would appear that we can put to rest the notion that the lackluster sales for GM's new truck lineup is a result of supply not being able to keep up with demand.

GM dealers are pointing to the simple fact that competitors have better deals on their truck offerings and consumers can get better bang for their buck elsewhere. Of course, the dealers would like to see increased incentives on the vehicles to spur sales; a remedy that hurts profits and shareholders at GM. The ingenious response from GM? Trick consumers by raising prices of the trucks and then increasing incentives! As PT Barnum (or perhaps a White House spokesman) might say, "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Another Automotive News report blows holes in the "supply can't keep up with demand" excuse. The piece states, "GM started October with an 82-day supply based on September's sales pace, up 18 from Sept. 1. Stocks of the Chevrolet Silverado pickup rose to a 115-day supply from 98, and the GMC Sierra pickup rose to 98 days from 87." GM no longer likes to discuss truck inventory, which it has had a past history of stuffing to manipulate earnings, but analysts should ask some tough questions during GM's earnings' conference call about where truck inventory levels are. The tricky strategy of raising truck prices at the same time that incentives are raised should also be questioned. Judging from GM's past explanations, even if such questions are allowed to be asked, I doubt that the answers will be credible.

I just don't get why GM has to continue to play its politically dishonest approach to all challenges it faces. It seems that the governmental intrusion into the company has left an indelible template that sets forth a strategy by GM of smoke and mirrors along with media manipulation to portray an image of an efficiently managed entity operating with an eye on the bottom line when in reality it is most concerned with public perception. The true bottom line is, if GM does not focus on building high quality vehicles at the best value in a very competitive market instead of being concerned with perception, all of the excuses in the world will not prevent a second trip for the company through bankruptcy court.
I dont rent out space in my brain
210 REPLIES 210

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like

Mr. Diaz said: (before he hit the road :W)

We are heavily, heavily, heavily exploring the possibility of bringing a mid-sized truck to the market. Itโ€™s a very small market here in the United States, so you have to decide whether or not youโ€™re going to play in that small market and be able to dominate that small market enough to where you can build a business case that makes it worth going there, or youโ€™ve got to decide that youโ€™re going to bring a vehicle thatโ€™s so new, so unconventional, so styled right, good mileage, and just the right amount of capability, that youโ€™re actually going to grow that market.

Youโ€™ve seen Ford get out of that market; Chevyโ€™s gotten out of that market; weโ€™ve gotten out of that market. So itโ€™s basically Toyota and Nissan that have that market all to themselves right now. For them, itโ€™s probably a lucrative business case because itโ€™s just two players.

So weโ€™re looking at many, many different things. We have a plethora of things that we can look at because of our partnership with Fiat, and weโ€™re even looking at okay, if we want to build a truck like this, thereโ€™s also a need for a truck thatโ€™s similar in size but is metric-ton capable from a payload standpoint. LINK

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

As you say the Colorado/Canyon are in their last year of production. Generally sales of older models do slow down. I've been in them....comfortable for a big guy like me, in a smaller truck...lot's of leg room for the driver in the extended cab and 4 dr. cab...everything from a big 4 , a nice 5 cylinder and of course a 5.3 V8.

I've been in and driven Rangers too. Cramped leg room, small cab in the extended cab.

The Ford Ranger...it was an outmoded vehicle, long past it's prime. It was becoming the original VW Beetle of the truck world...few changes, little power, small interior in the last part of it's production life.

But that's not to say I didn't like it, or think it didn't have a role.

I thought the Ranger made a good, short distance, cheap to buy, utility vehicle. In fact I thought of buying one just for those reasons in 2010-11.

I still think there is a market for a utility vehicle like the Ranger. Relatively unsophisticated design, but tough, inexpensive to purchase, with an available standard transmission, 4 cyl. or small V6...available 4WD.

I wish Ford was still making it...plus why did they never add a turbodiesel as they did in other world markets ?

But I wouldn't want it for my only vehicle.

I'm with you, I thought that compact pickups filled a definite void. It was my first vehicle when I turned 16. I personally think they are great for High school/College kids. Not much room for passengers which research shows make teens much worse drivers. Plenty of room to load up dorm stuff when going off to school. Inexpensive to buy, operate, insure, and repair.

It's a shame Ford and Dodge decided to kill them rather than invest money, but obviously they decided to give the market to Toyota, Nissan and GM when they jump back in.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fordlover wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Ford sells more F series in one month than GM sells colorado/canyon pickups in an entire year.

:h Can someone 'splain that comment to me?

I know my fellow Texans can sometimes think slowly....So I'll try to explain more simply.

Ford sold 68,000 F-series trucks in December 2012

Colorado entire year 2012 sales = 36,840
Canyon entire year 2012 sales = 8,735

Total 2012 sales of GM compact twins 46,575

46,575 < 68,000

I can upload a pie chart or bar graph if it would help you.

My point was simply to show why GM, RAM, Ford put so much effort into the full size trucks, while allowing the compact models to languish in the USofA. For the unaware, the Dakota and Ranger are gone probably for good, and the Canyon/Colorado should be back (perhaps with new names) in a year or two.

As you say the Colorado/Canyon are in their last year of production. Generally sales of older models do slow down. I've been in them....comfortable for a big guy like me, in a smaller truck...lot's of leg room for the driver in the extended cab and 4 dr. cab...everything from a big 4 , a nice 5 cylinder and of course a 5.3 V8.

I've been in and driven Rangers too. Cramped leg room, small cab in the extended cab.

The Ford Ranger...it was an outmoded vehicle, long past it's prime. It was becoming the original VW Beetle of the truck world...few changes, little power, small interior in the last part of it's production life.

But that's not to say I didn't like it, or think it didn't have a role.

I thought the Ranger made a good, short distance, cheap to buy, utility vehicle. In fact I thought of buying one just for those reasons in 2010-11.

I still think there is a market for a utility vehicle like the Ranger. Relatively unsophisticated design, but tough, inexpensive to purchase, with an available standard transmission, 4 cyl. or small V6...available 4WD.

I wish Ford was still making it...plus why did they never add a turbodiesel as they did in other world markets ?

But I wouldn't want it for my only vehicle.

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Well after reading this thread......starting with the OP......I must conclude that while I may not be the smartest kid on the RV.net short bus, I'm definitely not the dumbest.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Ford sells more F series in one month than GM sells colorado/canyon pickups in an entire year.

I know my fellow Texans can sometimes think slowly....So I'll try to explain more simply.

Ford sold 68,000 F-series trucks in December 2012

Colorado entire year 2012 sales = 36,840
Canyon entire year 2012 sales = 8,735

Total 2012 sales of GM compact twins 46,575

46,575 < 68,000

I can upload a pie chart or bar graph if it would help you.

My point was simply to show why GM, RAM, Ford put so much effort into the full size trucks, while allowing the compact models to languish in the USofA. For the unaware, the Dakota and Ranger are gone probably for good, and the Canyon/Colorado should be back (perhaps with new names) in a year or two.

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
They sold 20,000 Yugo's a year in the US in the time.

They sell a little over 2,000 Rolls Royce's a year in the US.

RV.NET logic say's the Yugo is a much nicer car because they sell 10X the amount. :R

LOL Good point Turtle.

It's fun to generalize but when price point gets tossed out the window entirely it makes the comparison pretty meaningless.

Price a Yugo and a Rolls similarly (or to use the popular McDonald's analogy, price a McD's cheeseburger and a Morton's steak the same) and see what happens to those sales figures.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
catfishmontana wrote:
LowRyter wrote:
ok Cat

I couldn't find numbers and sources.

You're not counting all pickup trucks? Only fullsize? GM also has a compact truck.

I honestly do not know if the little GM trucks are included in any figures or not. I think most figures mention Sierra and Silverado, so I would ASSUME they are not included.

Ford sells more F series in one month than GM sells colorado/canyon pickups in an entire year. That's probably part of the reason they discontinued them before their replacements were ready.

I believe the Ranger outsold the GM small twins every year they were both offered in the mid to late 2000's, and you'd have to include the Explorer Sport Trac in that math as well.

that still doesn't answer the question whether GM or Ford sell the most pickups. Traditionally, Ford F series was the top selling brand while GM/Chevy together outsold Ford. I also noticed that geography has a lot to do with popularity. Here in the west it appears Chevy is the popular brand and in the East it's Ford.

Traditionally, yes. But that hasn't been true since 2009, when Ford started outselling the GM twins.

The question was raised as to if GM's numbers included the compact pickups, to which I tried to illustrate that it probably didn't matter because they were such small # of sales, not to mention that they are out of production for the time being.

Then we get posters observing that Mcdonalds sells lots of hamburgers.

So I'll raise ya'll one: Bananas are a more popular fruit than Rambutan...:R

Here's the 2011 sales of compact trucks if there is anyone who actually cares:

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

So Chrysler sells more Rams then GM and Ford combined!

Don

As in Mountain Sheep? ๐Ÿ™‚

Come on...no one sells more Rams then Chrysler! :W Just like no one sells more F series trucks then Ford or Silverado's then Chevrolet.

Don

blt2ski
MOnkey,

You make some good points. I happen to like GM's as they generally sit bed height lower than Dodge or Ford, at least in the 8 lug rigs! Being as I lift things in and out daily and hourly that are in the 60-100 lbs range, 2-4" can mean a lot as it if you screw your back up, or need the hydralic employee by the name of bobcat, forklift or equal.

At the end of the day, ALL are good trucks! and will serve the end users needs, IF kept with in reasonable specs of the designers useages.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
One thing we all probably believe - no matter how many trucks Ford, GMC, Chevy, Toyota, and anyone else sells, we each will pick the one we like and believe will give us the best service. The fact that one sells more of less in a huge sales market won't have anything to do with that choice - just because it sells more doesn't mean it's the best truck - it might mean it's the cheapest truck, or fits in more standard garages - or has a nicer seat.

We'll all pick the truck we like - no matter where it falls in the sales chart. So, in fact, those numbers have very little meaning when it's time to make our choices.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

blt2ski
We can also use the McDonalds has the best burgers cuz they sell more than anyone else!

Can't we all see that in reality, ALL of the twucks are good twucks. Especially if I compare to the 66 GMC my dad had when I was a kid, or the 62 IHC travelall my stepdad had, I learned to drive in.....one of them 3 in a tree manual tranny, 3.42 gears, 225I6 with maybe 120hp! Lots o power that rig had. I seem to recall the 66 gmc was about the same!

Have I had my say?!?!?! who really cares whom out sells whom. That picture Ric showed, for all but the ones I will guess are discontinued, are showing a positive upward sales figure. Beats 08-10 or there abouts!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
They sold 20,000 Yugo's a year in the US in the time.

They sell a little over 2,000 Rolls Royce's a year in the US.

RV.NET logic say's the Yugo is a much nicer car because they sell 10X the amount. :R
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

LOL
Must be talking about this latest sales figures. Can't wait for the little twins to start producing again to up GM numbers :W

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

Don

As in Mountain Sheep? ๐Ÿ™‚

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

Don