cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sealant for Sealing our Camper

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good Sealant to use? After searching the entire lower peninsula of Michigan for a hardside truck camper that was in good shape and fit our budget we found a 1983 Real-lite in great condition. The owners bought it in 1984 and stored it inside the entire time they weren't using it. However it desperately needs sealed and I don't have the luxury of storing it inside. Is there a good Sealant available from home depot, Lowe's, of Napa that would be good to use? I can order ProFlex but it takes a week to get here and it's supposed to rain soon. Should I tarp it and wait for the good stuff or is there something I can buy that will work now. I know to avoid silicone.
12 REPLIES 12

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
While I was looking at Eternabond it mentions rubber roofs a lot. Mine is metal. Should I use Eternabond on a metal roof?

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be ok to seal the roof seams with Dicor till the Eternabond arrives in the mail. The local RV store had Dicor so that was great.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 4 inch tape is what I used, and dicor self leveling for the roof.On my roof I did the front nose cap seam and also around each vent with the tape. I think amazon has the best price on a 50 foot roll.

BlissRamblyn
Explorer
Explorer
Which is better Dicor self levelling or regular? Also which width tape is best for roof seams? 4 or 6 inch. Thanks for all the advice. I want to make it last.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Days wrote:
I used proflex clear on my sidewall seams, and I didn't have good luck with it, the stuff crystallized. So I use dicor non self leveling now.

I wonder if the formulation has changed. I had success with this sealant many years ago. Work I did within the past few years failed and I had to strip off the proflex and start over with dicor.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out about Sikaflex-221 which is supposed to be good for any purpose plus withstands the vibration of being on the road.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used proflex clear on my sidewall seams, and I didn't have good luck with it, the stuff crystallized. So I use dicor non self leveling now.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cover it until you can seal it properly. I would recommend Dicor. I had issues twice with Proflex. The sealant went on OK but failed to adhere properly. I think the tubes were old and the sealant was not fresh. That happened to me twice with Proflex and I have never had an issue with Dicor.

If you have long roof seams that need to be sealed, I would consider the Eternabond tape. You then use Dicor on the edges of the tape.

If you use the right materials and do a careful job the sealant should work for many years. Be sure the surfaces are as clean as possible. I have even used fine grade sandpaper to prep the surfaces. Then do a final prep with mineral spirits. It can take quite a while to do a good job but it will be worth it to avoid constant fixing and patching or worse areas that still leak.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tarp it until you can get the right stuff. I am not a fan of putting scotch tape on the seams.
bumpy

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Use Eternabond to seal the seams.
Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant is an excellent product for caulking horizontal surfaces.
Clean well before applying.

I would tarp the roof until I got the proper materials to seal the roof. But, that's me.

AS much as I like to disagree
I concur with the above
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant is an excellent product for caulking horizontal surfaces.

I would tarp the roof until I got the proper materials to seal the roof. But, that's me.

I agree.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer