cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye DPF and soot?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I have said in the past that given the proper amount of time diesel engine manufacturers would come out with better ways to reduce emissions while making the engine more powerful and efficient similar to how gasoline engine manufacturers did through the 70's, 80's, and 90's. It seems that is coming to fruition with Bosch's new dual SCR system that dramatically reduces NOx and this new invention that came to mind from a simple Bunsen burner doing the same for soot. It seems that the days of diesels DPF's and soot may be numbered. Best of all, it seems that it can be retrofitted to current diesels at little cost and it worked better with renewable diesel fuels.

Diesel innovation has humble beginnings

Truck Trend - Technological Innovations

Video - Ducted Fuel Injection
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
27 REPLIES 27

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Maybe the new system could put an end to these non-sense modifications (mostly).

Yes, there is a chance of that. But without a reason, government regulation, the research would not happen.

Grit dog wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I see this going sideways fast...

Scooby just did a full powerslide all on his own...

Maybe I did. But I have realized some facts. And one of them is if you are not willing to change your mind you can't expect anybody else to. Us Baby Boomers, and our kids have lived our whole lives knowing that there was limited resources to use, and a limit to how much we can dirty up the world. We can say we don't know what the limits are, or what happens when we pass the limit. We have seen the haze over our cities, seen the haze not increase, and even decrease, as more cars are used because of pollution controls on cars. Advances that where forced not by capitalism, but by evil government regulation.
Boomers in US, myself included, have done it. We need to stand up and own it. Our whole life, we have by our choices, told the rest of the world, "Screw you! Screw your kids! Screw my kids! I will not change my lifestyle! I will not give up my profit! Me! Me! I'm all that matters!"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good stuff... There was one diesel manufacturer (I think Honda) that designed a diesel engine that didn't require a DPF but the technology wouldn't work for a HD diesel engine.

I know Ford did a lot of engineering work to reduce soot (50% reduction) when designing the 6.7, but 50% soot production is still too much.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like it or not, particulate filters are coming for gas engines.
They are already being used in the EU.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:

Scooby just did a full powerslide all on his own...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well if u drive a gas job, this would never be an issue.....JK guys... anyway yes sounds good. I’m hoping they do something soon. Some of the trucks we have had a lot of money dumped into the emissions.....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Sandia website, this lab is a government run research facility that started with the Manhattan Project of WWII. So I wouldn’t count out their research just yet.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Strange. Most of what I hear from politicians in power is "IT AIN'T HAPPENING!"
What I don't understand is person 1 can be driving the car he can afford, maintaining it as well as he can, gets a ticket because of a little smoke. At the same time, person 2, that can afford to drive what he wants, spends more than person 1 makes in 2 years for a truck, then gets on the 'net and brags about modifying the truck so it no longer meets the emission standards.
Maybe the new system could put an end to these non-sense modifications (mostly).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
It can’t happen fast enough as far as I’m concerned.

This kind of thinking and innovation is what’s going to solve our climate/environmental problems, not the “Ban it (everything you’re currently doing) and cram it (my half-baked plan du jour down your throat) nonsense coming from politicians mouths.

:):)

Strange. Most of what I hear from politicians in power is "IT AIN'T HAPPENING!"
What I don't understand is person 1 can be driving the car he can afford, maintaining it as well as he can, gets a ticket because of a little smoke. At the same time, person 2, that can afford to drive what he wants, spends more than person 1 makes in 2 years for a truck, then gets on the 'net and brags about modifying the truck so it no longer meets the emission standards.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
It can’t happen fast enough as far as I’m concerned.

This kind of thinking and innovation is what’s going to solve our climate/environmental problems, not the “Ban it (everything you’re currently doing) and cram it (my half-baked plan du jour down your throat) nonsense coming from politicians mouths.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Right?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I know Bosch is responsible for great things ... but after spending 30 years replacing outrageously priced parts I hope that someone other than Bosch comes up with the solution.
Kevin

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wish!
It would be interesting to have some Bosch engineers chime in.