cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Green Valve Stem Covers

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
I went to add some air into my tires for my camper and noticed they were green valve stem covers. I remember someone telling me once that green caps usually indicate the tire is filed with nitrogen. Does anyone know if that's true? I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual where it talks about this.
39 REPLIES 39

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
So if I put air into my freshly nitrogen-ed tires, will I have 178% nitro in them?? Is that legal?? Inquiring minds need to know!!

Wink, Wink, Wink!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
Really all a dry nitrogen fill does is eliminate water vapor which can go from gas to liquid and have a bigger pressure change effect. For those us where a few PSI is no big deal, no problem. Could do basically the same thing with plain dry air. All gases obay boyles law for pressure vs. temperature.

You can not get passenger vehicle tires hot enough to transform to vapor... If you did happen to get them that hot, then you have bigger problems.

All you need is a temperature change. if there is even a few degrees temp change will change the amount of water liquid turning to water vapor or vice versa in an enclosed tire. Water doesn't need to get anywhere near boiling to evaporate and go from liquid to gas.

Every air compressor I've been around ends up with water in the tank even if you drain it almost daily. Follows what one would expect from the physics of air compression. Being a contained system the compressor RH for water vapor is then near 100%. Air going into the tire is at a lower pressure than the tank, hence air cools, lowers the dew point, condenses some amount of water into the tire, but still at or near 100%RH. temp change will then cause water to either condense (temp drop) or evaporate (temp rise) till all the water is a vapor. Messes around with ideal gas behavior,

So unless the tire shop has some form of water removal and drains the tanks often, you will get some amount of water in the tire.

The vapor obeys boyles law, the liquid does not. That affects how temp changes affect tire pressure.

Again, for most consumer applications, it will not make enough difference to be signficant or affect operation.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mont G&J wrote:
I have green caps and nitrogen filled tires. I wish everyone did because it's good for the environment. I have noticed many tires several pounds low on air and that has a direct result in reducing gas mileage which adds to carbon emissions to the atmosphere. This doesn't apply to battery cars though.

You forgot the โ€œjkโ€ or โ€œlolโ€ with your statement.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I have green caps and nitrogen filled tires. I wish everyone did because it's good for the environment. I have noticed many tires several pounds low on air and that has a direct result in reducing gas mileage which adds to carbon emissions to the atmosphere. This doesn't apply to battery cars though.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Oh! I purchased a utility trailer this past summer - it had green caps, i adjuste3d air pressure with my garage duty air compressor - am I liable to change those caps to some other color? Not! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Allegro 36LA

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
Really all a dry nitrogen fill does is eliminate water vapor which can go from gas to liquid and have a bigger pressure change effect. For those us where a few PSI is no big deal, no problem. Could do basically the same thing with plain dry air. All gases obay boyles law for pressure vs. temperature.

You can not get passenger vehicle tires hot enough to transform to vapor... If you did happen to get them that hot, then you have bigger problems.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You really should replace the green valve caps with black ones, it might keep others from asking useless questions.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I quite frankly prefer my OEM black caps.
Nitrogen or air they can fill as they like and I will ignore and top off as needed with regular compressed air.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
HAHA, NO!

No, a green cap means nothing.
Slime used to give green aluminum caps with their Slime sealant product. It is green because their slime and their logo is green.
I do not think nitrogen has a color, and am sure if it did that green is not the color.

You can get plastic or anodized aluminum colored caps in almost any color now. What do all those colors mean? Nothing. The pope's red shoes do means something, but unless you want to vomit I would not look into that....

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Helium and hydrogen are way better. They will even make the trailer a few pounds lighter."

How many pounds? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I installed an oversized blinker fluid reservoir so I con leave it on for lots of miles.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to also check your blinker fluid before you hit the road ๐Ÿ™‚

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Helium and hydrogen are way better. They will even make the trailer a few pounds lighter. Hydrogen will give the best BANG for your money.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The green stuff is the magic gas!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry I forgot to add the winker to indicate sarcasm ๐Ÿ˜‰