cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Happijac tie downs installed! Maybe some other discussion...

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Went with these because of cost mainly, but I believe that they'll work well for me and what I do. Also have been known to go off road occasionally. Got what I feel was a good deal from some internet site. They also included the bar that goes between the brackets for my application.

So, I'll include a couple of pictures. Basically, what I have to say about them is this: I think the installation looks elegant, I was surprised at the ease of the installation, and when I ordered the system I didn't know that it came with the centering guides. I have yet to have the camper on the truck yet, but I am happy that I have the centering guides. I've only loaded the camper on the truck a total of three times and what seems to like to happen is I get the back where it needs to be, and the front of the camper is always loaded towards the passenger side of the truck.

Now, I think the turnbuckles that I already have will work with this mounting system and I can get rid of the home made stuff that I have. I am way more confident in the way that the Happijacs are mounted and I would consider it frame mounted. Plus, the stuff I had before used chains and it was a lot of extra stuff to hook up when securing the camper. I also have heard that chains with spring loaded turnbuckles can cause some undesired feelings while driving.

Here's what the old setup looked like

And here's a photo of the truck and the camper with the old home made setup.

Now for the discussion. I have recently been in the process of selling my 2006 Cummins truck. I was going to find a dually, but there are a few issues with this. I don't have swing out brackets. My truck is already setup with everything besides a super hitch. And I would much rather bank the money and pay things off and go with some 19.5s and commercial tires on this truck. Dry weight of the camper is probably 3000 lbs, and id like to be able to tow a Mastercraft ski boat on a tandem axle trailer. Nuts, or what?

Let me know what you think. Just can't seem to find a decent truck for a decent price. Everything is inflated right now. I am over on weight, but I don't feel like it's anything the truck can't handle. Tires are for sure a concern though. And I know this topic has been beaten to death, through the nermerous searches I've done trying to justify not having to get another truck. This one is my baby. It needs some paint and trans work. I'd much rather use the money for it and bank some.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
34 REPLIES 34

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:
I may not be understanding this right, are people saying 19.5 inch tires are going to take away spring sag in the rear, and why isn't anyone suggesting to add a leaf or two?

I don't think you should ad any thing to the suspension until you go to a good spring shop and have them check out the condition of what you have. They can tell you the best place to start. You may need to ad a leaf or you may be better off just getting a whole new set a springs. Adding products to your springs if they are worn out is a waste of money.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
getpower1 wrote:

Sorry, that picture is from the day I picked the camper up. I don't have any recent side shots. It was to show the camper and truck as a whole and the old home made tie downs. I've got airbags. Check my signature. Unfortunately, my truck didn't come with factory overloads or a rear sway bar, the bags level it out. I've driven with the camper on with the bags, but not the sway bar yet. The bags helped sway a lot, but they had to have 80psi in them. I noticed that with 65psi there was significant sway. I can't wait to see what the sway bar does for me. Weighing the rig is on the list. I'm betting around 4000 lbs. We are still used to tenting it. So really on the trip out, there is the weight of the camper and the water. Then on the way back, there is probably no water and add the waste. Other than that it's just the normal stuff we would bring. We haven't added anything more to our camping setup because we have the space to.

I replaced my factory rear anti sway bar and it helped so much I did the front also. I think the 19.5s really did just as much again, but the increased load safety was the motivation for the upgrade. Iโ€™m to the point now that loaded up the truck corners on mountain highways as well as it did empty. Iโ€™m scaling at about 10,800 loaded without people or beer and groceries, Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll be at least 1,500 lbs. more loaded with water and fuel.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
tattoobob wrote:
I may not be understanding this right, are people saying 19.5 inch tires are going to take away spring sag in the rear, and why isn't anyone suggesting to add a leaf or two?
You are not understanding this right. The 19.5s have absolutely nothing to do with spring sag. The 19.5s are to reduce the sidewall flex and increase the tire load capacity. Reducing the sidewall flex will reduce sway.

People do suggest adding leafs to spring packs. But, this typically relates to reducing the rear sag when the TC is loaded. It is a totally different discussion than 19.5s.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
tattoobob wrote:

no the 19.5s have load margin safety and reduce sidewall flex induced sway with heavy loads. You need extra leaf springs, airbags, or other suspension mods to eliminate sag
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never really looked at the SuperHitch due to my 2500 weighing in at 10400 pounds, of which about 6200 was on the rear axle. Consdering I flat tow my Samirai, and use it for hauling my extra "stuff", I have nt needed the Superehitch.

Designed for 1200 pounds tongue weight is very impressive. I have never read about anyone having any issues with it.

SuperHitch SuperTruss Receiver Extension

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
zcookiemonstar wrote:
... I read someplace if you have rear drum brakes that you can get rear wheel brake cylinders for a 3500 and they are bigger and improve braking.
This is true. Actually I think you can go with 1-1/16", 1-1/8", or 1-3/16". I think 15/16" is stock. The objective is more braking in the rear. It will not effect your ABS, if you have ABS. I think in about 1998 all 2500 Rams were upgraded from 15/16" to 1-1/16" from the factory.

Lots of info here: "dodge ram wheel cylinder upgrade"

Wayne

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like your front end is unloaded with the camper on the truck. Here is a pic of my truck when I picked up my camper. This is a stock suspension with the camper package and it sits level. It is a 5.9 gas auto so I don't have as much weight up front as you. The camper weight is 2580lbs. With the camper on it just touches my overload springs. Truck and camper (dry) weigh 8380lbs. No people or gear full tank of gas.

I read someplace if you have rear drum brakes that you can get rear wheel brake cylinders for a 3500 and they are bigger and improve braking.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
many 1000s of miles on this set up. 19.5s and a superhitch with a 48" super truss upper stable loads and airbags. I do like my new dually more though

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...a superhitch/supertruss will cost $1000 give or take...if you install yourself like I think you will. These are new prices....
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
getpower1 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Love my upgrade to 19.5's. Made the difference of not trading my truck in for a drw.

Do it, go to 19.5's. skip the new truck.....that X1 doesn't weigh than what I tow with a 42" supertruss....

My next truck will most likely be a drw...unless I swap over my 19.5's...

It's an XStar. Little heavier than an X1 probably. Only a 20' model though. The research I've done on it puts me at maybe 250-ish tongue weight and around 6000 lbs.

And it's never more than 2-3 hours. I don't go far. Not trying to make this all work while going 75mph all the way to New York.

Appreciate it, thanks.

My bad! Yeah Xstar is a little heavier, I tow 4000 lbs give or take. Wouldn't hesitate pulling 6-7k though....

I'm 8200 lbs on my rear axle...and 17-17.5k combined. You'll be fine, address tire/wheel limits and GTG IMHO.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
ISBRAM wrote:
As far as I know the frame is the same on the 2nd gen Ram 2500 vs. the 3500 so getting the suspension and tires up to the task was my mission.
Run it over the scale with full fuel, fresh water etc and see where you are, you should really work on getting the rear to level out. The 19.5 set up was the icing on the cake for my rig but I got it leveled out first. The Vision 19.5 wheel will make the stance slightly wider.

Sorry, that picture is from the day I picked the camper up. I don't have any recent side shots. It was to show the camper and truck as a whole and the old home made tie downs. I've got airbags. Check my signature. Unfortunately, my truck didn't come with factory overloads or a rear sway bar, the bags level it out. I've driven with the camper on with the bags, but not the sway bar yet. The bags helped sway a lot, but they had to have 80psi in them. I noticed that with 65psi there was significant sway. I can't wait to see what the sway bar does for me. Weighing the rig is on the list. I'm betting around 4000 lbs. We are still used to tenting it. So really on the trip out, there is the weight of the camper and the water. Then on the way back, there is probably no water and add the waste. Other than that it's just the normal stuff we would bring. We haven't added anything more to our camping setup because we have the space to.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
I do not understand why all the emotions that appear on these RV/TC forums.......?
It is not politics, nor religion, is it?

There are lots of ways to accomplish similar objectives....
No, I'm not trolling for justifications. I'm suggesting taking a deep breath, and relaxing.

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and my Caribou weigh is 3450 pounds empty.
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M 3.4 kW generator
Two year old Boston Terrier Yes I'm a dog person