cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else panicked after they bought a trailer?

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm nuts. We just bought a new trailer and we traded in my old tacoma for a larger truck that could pull it. We looked for months, went to RV shows, looked at dozens of sizes, floorplans, and styles. We finally settled on one, and found a really nice rockwood mini. We stayed in our budget, and the truck is used.

My wife is thrilled, and I'm panicked. I've towed it without any problem, but I feel like I won't be able to manage it, and I'm feeling guilty for spending the money. We've been talking about this for years, and now that we've finally done it, I'm not getting the enjoyment I should be because I don't seem to be able to give myself permission to. We're taking our first trip in a week, and I'm looking forward to it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I know this isn't a support group, but I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone could share.

Thanks
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
2018 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 V8
48 REPLIES 48

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you're panicking now, wait till you try and make reservations at some popular campgrounds. You just entered into the fastest growing outdoor adventure lifestyle. Everyone and their dogs buying RV's. Spots that were usually available 5 years ago are now booked out much sooner.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a 2004 Buick Rainier with 5.3 V8 in 2005 and that is about the only vehicle, house, boat, camper and trailer that I wanted to give back the next day. Guess what we still have it and my wife loves it.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Good move upping to the F150.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess Im a minority... After all the research, double checking, triple checking, once I made the purchase I couldn't wait to get on the road.

Rest assured, this too shall pass.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's just Buyer's Remorse.
Go use your new RV, you'll get over it quickly.

X2. Heck, after looking for quite awhile to adopt a new dog, and getting it, I've got buyer's remorse. All I know is I usually have it and get over it too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
You’re not alone. I bought a new truck in 2018, it was a leftover 2017 and I got what I thought was a pretty good deal. On the almost two hour drive home, I kept thinking what have I done but now I don’t give it a second thought. Go out and enjoy, remember you can’t take it with you.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
mhill260 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
This is about money, isn't it?

Yes in the sense that I have found myself feeling like I bought something I didn't need. I have no problem spending money on my friends and family, but when it's me and it's big, it messes with me.

No one "NEEDs" a RV. It is a optional hobby. People only get them because they want them. You only need one if you WANT to go RVing. But since you did get one. I would suggest you forget about the money you spent on it, and start thinking about the great times it will give you in return. And do remember. No motel room, or Condo, can give you what the camper can. So just relax, and enjoy, and honestly. IF you don't want it. sell it.

It's good advice. I think when I tow it a few times, set it up and take it down a few times, it will be better. We had a popup prior to this and we really enjoyed camping. I think when we experience the trailer, it will be that much better. And no more walks to the showers and bathrooms.
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhill260 wrote:
2oldman wrote:

Yes in the sense that I have found myself feeling like I bought something I didn't need. I have no problem spending money on my friends and family, but when it's me and it's big, it messes with me.

No one "NEEDs" a RV. It is a optional hobby. People only get them because they want them. You only need one if you WANT to go RVing. But since you did get one. I would suggest you forget about the money you spent on it, and start thinking about the great times it will give you in return. And do remember. No motel room, or Condo, can give you what the camper can. So just relax, and enjoy, and honestly. IF you don't want it. sell it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhill260 wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:

And going Toyota to Ford left me wondering if I was making a mistake. .

No mistake. Actually a step up.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I feel your pain as well. We bought a '15 F350 single rear wheel in Dec of '14. Thought that would our truck for quite sometime and comfy w/ payment and all. Come 2017 and things get outta hand some. Had to get the wife a new car due to VW's dieselgate scandal. Too bad cuz the '13 Passat diesel was a great car. VW bought our '13 back and cuz we liked the Passat so much, we got a '17 Passat gasser. Also decided to get a new RV which ended up being bigger than what we had and over the '15 F350's weight limits. Stuck it out for '17 calendar year. Then we decided for our '18 vaykay to go to FL during the summer and now the over the '15's limits were bothering me to no end. Ended up trading the '15 in for a '17 F350 dually. Talk about going from one gut feeling to another. As much as we didn't want to get the dually and a whole new payment AGAIN, we are adjusting to it and bearing w/ it all the while enjoying every trip we go on. Yes it sucked doing it, but we love the coach and the dually just is so much better truck to tow the RV with. Don't like the amount of $$ going out every month...who does? But things look better as time goes on.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
mhill260 wrote:
I think I'm nuts. We just bought a new trailer and we traded in my old tacoma for a larger truck that could pull it. We looked for months, went to RV shows, looked at dozens of sizes, floorplans, and styles. We finally settled on one, and found a really nice rockwood mini. We stayed in our budget, and the truck is used.

My wife is thrilled, and I'm panicked. I've towed it without any problem, but I feel like I won't be able to manage it, and I'm feeling guilty for spending the money. We've been talking about this for years, and now that we've finally done it, I'm not getting the enjoyment I should be because I don't seem to be able to give myself permission to. We're taking our first trip in a week, and I'm looking forward to it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I know this isn't a support group, but I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone could share.

Thanks

I thought that I was the only one! We traded in my old Tundra and bought a Ram 2500 CTD, attended 3 or 4 RV shows and we finally bought a trailer. We pick it up next week and all I do is worry about everything!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Everyone who is conscientious feels the same OP, unless the person happens to be independently wealthy. The magnitude of purchase that induces this feeling is proportional to the amount of money you have and how much you’re “comfortable “ spending.
Sounds like you did your homework and analyzed cost/ benefit. Go take the camper out, enjoy the benefit of not only being able to wake up wherever you want, Forest, lakeside, rv park whatever makes you happy, but also the savings involved with not spending a bunch on hotels, eating out, whatever the associated savings are with RVing.
I analyze this stuff maybe more than most, not necessarily more than most on this forum but in general and you have a right to be nervous about it. If you weren’t, then you wouldn’t be a responsible consumer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhill260 wrote:
LanceRKeys wrote:
Let’s think positive for a minute I think that will help. Why don’t you tell us what you like about the trailer, what kind of truck you got. Where your first trip will be what modifications you plan to make. Take the time to brag a little.

My wife has been after me to do this for several years and I kept putting it off. I want this to be a good thing for my wife, she deserves it.

Happy Wife...Happy Life 😉

You did the right thing. Enjoy!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.