Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heat and A/C on at same time?

RatedX
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

Tonight I turned on my heat for the first time in a few months. Only problem was that air conditioning was running at same time. My thermostat was set to furnace NOT cool. Tried shutting it down and restarting but both where still running. Finally turned off the A/C breaker in panel to shut it down and have heat only...

Any idea what would cause this?
6 REPLIES 6

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbbls wrote:
Clonefan wrote:
2008Wildcat wrote:
You probably have a digital thermostat, and the fan was set to auto instead of on or off.

The new digital thermo's are set to run the fan in the a/c to help circulate the warm air. Should have just been the a/c fan running, not the compressor...

This. The fan in the auto position was most likely the reason.
My fan must be in the "AUTO" to work properly. If it is on "high or low" it will run when the furnace is on.

Mine has a fan OFF position. I put the there when the furnace is on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Clonefan wrote:
2008Wildcat wrote:
You probably have a digital thermostat, and the fan was set to auto instead of on or off.

The new digital thermo's are set to run the fan in the a/c to help circulate the warm air. Should have just been the a/c fan running, not the compressor...

My fan must be in the "AUTO" to work properly. If it is on "high or low" it will run when the furnace is on.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Clonefan
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the same thing happen on our home air this spring. I shut it down and restarted and all was well. Guess there was a confusion in the thermostat.

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
Its funny you say that. A couple weeks ago while camping I had the AC running in the Low fan mode. We were sitting outside and I was sitting near the furnace exhaust when all of a sudden I heard the furnace running. I didnt think a thing of it at first since I had turned on the gas LP to the hot water heater. I was thinking that was what I heard. When I went inside sure enough both were running. I ended up turning everything off on the thermostat. Both AC turned off and a couple minutes later the furnace turned off. I restarted the AC and all went fine. Go figure...

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!