Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Selecting a Tow Vehicle for someone new to TTs

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

Growing up RVing I've now started my own family and looking to purchase our first TT. Although I grew up traveling with an RV it was a Class A coach and not a TT. My wife and I like the freedom of being able to unhook and discover new places, etc.

We haven't yet purchased a TT and don't have a tow vehicle either. We're still some time out so I want to make sure we do our research and determine the right size TT, TV, etc.

So far we've really liked the Dutchman Aerolite 242BHS with the blow specs:

Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 5,574
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 735
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 1,026
Length 28' 6''

We are a family of four with two young children. I don't expect us to travel more then 300-600 per trip. We'd like to utilize our tow vehicle as a family vehicle as well so would prefer an SUV. These are some of the vehicles we had in mind. Does anyone have some insight on whether these vehicles could do the job?

2015 - Chevy Tahoe
2015 - Nissan Armada
2015 - Toyota Sequoia

Although we prefer an SUV I would consider a 1/2 ton truck like an F-150. I see that most of the F-150 are V6 EB which list tow capacity as around 9k lbs. I was always under the impression that you would need a V8 engine to tow a TT. Would the V6 Ford be capable of towing the above trailer.

Thanks for the help!
32 REPLIES 32

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Another alternative is to buy a dedicated tow vehicle like I did. I found a rust free 2003 3/4ton Suburban loaded up beauty that tows my 34ft TT and will carry 4 adults with 4 kids at the same time.(Had this many passengers on 2 cross country trips but usually is just the 4 of us.) Our daily drivers get decent mpg's, so I could put priority on towing/carrying capacity and not fuel economy. To keep costs low, when not used the Burb is on storage insurance. Also, older vehicles are cheaper to register. I love driving this thing when towing or not. Makes me look forward to the next adventure.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a rule bigger is better however it is also more expensive to buy run and maintain. Diesels generally get more mileage and have more power.

So it is basically what you are willing to spend.

When fully loaded, I am at or a bit over my max cargo, still I have not had any issues in the mountains, winds, hard stops or with sway. Other TT And TV combos are not so lucky.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
RE: tow vehicle

First off I was in the trucking business 43 years (3.8 million miles) I only say that so you know I have a little experience with weight's and measure's. We live in Alaska and looked for months and finally found a Ford F-150 Ecoboost w/ heavy tow package and 3.73 rearend in Washington state flew down got the truck and hit the road to California. We bought a Arctic Fox 25R (2007) in like new condition. weight's of trailer dry 6300, 640 tongue and GVW of 10,000. Spent 3 miserable days in Sacramento 112deg. out fitting, tires, bearings etc. we hit the coast 65deg. At no time did I feel unsafe, unstable or uncomfortable. We have a WDH with Anti-sway built in and it worked great. I did my weights all under GVW adjusted the hitch and 5200 miles later we are home. I had a F350 power stroke I sold with my boat and for us this truck is great. I don't care what you drive cross winds and trucks, trailers and buses will move you. Good luck in your search??

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Majja13 wrote:
Lots of good advice has been given. I am going to add also look where you will be towing. I see you are in California. Are you going to be sticking to the costal camping or are you going to be going high into the Sierraโ€™s? NA Gas engines loose about 1-3% power for every 1000 feet of elevation.

I just recently upgraded form a 2000 1500 to a new 2500 both gas. The towing experience is night and day different. I also have a longer wheel base. The minimum I would look at is the F150 EB with Max Payload. But with the price of one of those you can get into a very nicely equipped 250/2500-350/3500. My 2500 is my DD.

You're going to deal with hills to low mountains regardless in CA and need to plan accordingly. There is a coastal range to deal in addition to Sierras. If going to SOCAL you'll have to cross Grape Vine.

OP, there are threads on here about Class A vs TT/5er. If you already have a sufficient TV, then TT/5er is usually cheaper. If you don't, the Class A is as least worth consideration. A 30' you might get by without a toad? Could rent at destinations. Also worth checking if you current vehicle is capable of being towed 4 wheels down.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, go ahead and buy a 5k watt generator, too. You only need a 3k but your next trailer may be bigger.

Seriously, I just don't think the sarcasm comes through on the internet.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
You can always have a tow behind vehicle for the Class A. That gives you a good daily driver, mobility while camping and you'll never worry about if your tow vehicle can handle your family's capacity.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

dtoste77
Explorer
Explorer
So much great info and food for thought! I tend to agree with most here that it may make sense to with a larger truck such as a 2500 or F-250. Problem is those vehicles aren't necessarily practical for me and my family, for a variety of reasons, cost, gas mileage, etc. I was gravitating to a TT due to the cost, in comparison to something like a Class A. When adding in the purchase of larger truck plus the added cost in gas (because the tow vehicle will also be used as daily vehicle) the Class A may actually make more financial sense. Of course I'll lose the freedom of being Mobil while camping. Decisions, decisions....Thanks everyone!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
As someone that tows a long trailer with a Tahoe, it'll do the job, but in the end you'll be happier with something in the 250/2500 series range. That way you don't have to upgrade your truck when you upgrade the trailer. You'll be set for a good amount of towing no matter where you go or what you're dragging behind you. I would've upgraded to a 2500 already if it wasn't for the fact that I have 3 dogs that won't fit in a crew cab pick up backseat and Suburban 2500s are harder to find or more money than I'd like to spend. That's the best SUV option for you though.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
Its' all about wheelbase..................

I've been towing for 20+ years and have increased the wheelbase of my TV about every 5 years. My TT is 28? ft long 6,ooolbs?; I now have a Chevy Express 3500 (probably overkill) and this thing tows like a dream.

Personally I would never consider a mod-size SUV (like those listed) - unless my trips are relatively short (like the OP);

Most people concentrate on weight when choosing their TT/TV combination but should also include wheel-base; Try slamming on the brakes on a short-wheel base vehicle towing a long trailer and see what happens or try performing an emergency manoever with the same combination.

gerry
If it's all about wheelbase, maybe you could explain to me how thousands of 16-footยฑ WB tractors pull 53-foot long trailers all over the country, every day of the year.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice has been given. I am going to add also look where you will be towing. I see you are in California. Are you going to be sticking to the costal camping or are you going to be going high into the Sierraโ€™s? NA Gas engines loose about 1-3% power for every 1000 feet of elevation.

I just recently upgraded form a 2000 1500 to a new 2500 both gas. The towing experience is night and day different. I also have a longer wheel base. The minimum I would look at is the F150 EB with Max Payload. But with the price of one of those you can get into a very nicely equipped 250/2500-350/3500. My 2500 is my DD.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
DarbyWalters wrote:
I make sure all the "stuff" is in the trailer...which leaves payload for the hitch and passengers and tongue weight. This combo puts me right on the maximum payload.

I have been there where most of the stuff is in the trailer. It is so much nicer packing and unpacking/ setting up when there is nothing but maybe a cooler (or two) inside the trailer. Bag chairs in the pass through (or similar storage) not included.

Yes, a F150 with the HD Payload would probably be enough, but only about 1600lbs of payload with two growing kids, be out of payload before you know it! Bikes get bigger, kids weigh more, friends possibly join, etc....
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

DarbyWalters
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a Jayco White Hawk Ultra Lite 29REKS with a 2012 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew Ecoboost with no problems. The truck pulls with no problems...trailer is 7400# loaded (water tanks empty). The biggest issue will be the Payload capacity of your truck...more than the pulling capacity. I make sure all the "stuff" is in the trailer...which leaves payload for the hitch and passengers and tongue weight.

This combo puts me right on the maximum payload.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Of those you mentioned, a properly equipped F150 would be best suited to the task. You won't find a better gasoline tow engine than the 3.5l EB. Personally, I think 1600lb payload would likely be adequate for that trailer, plus any weight you plan to put in the bed. You'll also want good tires. 40psi won't cut it. I would say 50psi minimum. E-rated with 80 psi would be best. My $.02.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Its' all about wheelbase..................

I've been towing for 20+ years and have increased the wheelbase of my TV about every 5 years. My TT is 28? ft long 6,ooolbs?; I now have a Chevy Express 3500 (probably overkill) and this thing tows like a dream.

Personally I would never consider a mod-size SUV (like those listed) - unless my trips are relatively short (like the OP);

Most people concentrate on weight when choosing their TT/TV combination but should also include wheel-base; Try slamming on the brakes on a short-wheel base vehicle towing a long trailer and see what happens or try performing an emergency manoever with the same combination.

gerry
Gerry