cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Shopping: Half ton

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
History and background: I have a years experience towing my 3,000lbs dry TT throughout the Appalacians. I use my trusty Chevy with the 4.8liter / 3.42s. Back in 2003, we bought our first boat. At the time we had a Ford Ranger that couldn't possibly get the job done, so we shopped for a truck for towing at the time. The salesman steered us to the one we have. I wasn't educated on towing and didn't even know what gearing was. We've paid the price ever since. Don't get me wrong, the truck is capable, it just never did it with any "extra".

Aside from towing, we have LOVED this truck. Our biggest issue has been changing out the daytime running light bulb.

In the 11 years we've had it, life has changed. We now are a family of 4 and picked up the hobby of camping and travelling. I'm a school teacher and we have a goal of taking our boys on 3-4 long summer trips out West with the TT. This is where I believe our current truck is going to fail us. For one, 4 people in an extended cab. We'd live with that though if it towed better. I just don't think I've got enough truck for these long trips and the grades we'll come across out west.

I can currently climb anything in western North Carolina, but in 2nd gear at 3200rpm and 45mph.

The other concern we always fight is payload. When we load for local trips we always sag in the rear and from my rough calculations we're 4-500 pounds over. I'm 300lbs, wife is xxx, kids will each be 200lbs within the life of this new truck.

Upgrading TT? It is likely that we'll upgrade to something slightly larger, but we have a different philosophy than most. I truely don't see us ever considering anything heavier than 5,500lbs dry.

So, I'm not 100% stuck in the Chevy camp, but ours has been loyal enough to us that I'll stay loyal to Chevy unless there's a real reason not to be.

Our current truck has 270hp and 280torque. I don't know how to measure what's needed to make a significant change in my towing experience? The 5.3 liter of the last several years has seemed like a marginal improvement, but the new 2014 5.3 numbers are roughly 100 higher in hp and torque (355/387). 110 ft. lbs of torque tied to the new 6 speed transmission sounds like a leap beyond what we have. Is it?

A more specific question: I stopped at the dealership yesterday and found they had no 2014's on the lot, but were trying hard to push the 2013's they had. Even though invoice prices will remain the same, they claim that they can discount the 13's enough to give me a 9-10,000 incentive to take one.

Of course, that sounds interesting, but the 13's will not increase my hp and torque numbers as much (about half as much). Also, the fuel efficiency on the 14's is now 16/23, which would be nice for all the commuting I do the rest of the year.

Of course I'd like to save the money with a 13, but surely don't want to be disappointed like we have been with the 4.8/3.42. We'll keep this truck at least 10 years so I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Considering a 3/4 ton with the 6.0? Don't get me wrong, it scratches the "man" itch alot better, but don't forget my trailer size. And, I tow for only half the miles I'll put on this truck, I'd feel wasteful to be driving that to work every day. The 2500 also starts to climb out of my budget, so I would have to go a few years older.

What would you do in my situation? Take a deal on a 13? Wait and spend more on the 14?

Sorry. Longwinded. That was a 2 cup of coffee post! ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
53 REPLIES 53

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking at your payload requirements, passengers and cargo/fuel are nearing 1000Lbs. A 5500# dry TT ends up at 6700#+. That is another 1000# with a wdh with sway on the hitch. IMO that puts you in 3/4 ton territory to have some wiggle room. Since payload is the limiting factor for 1/2 tons, look at that first to see what works. I might look at the 2014 1500 with a 5.3L compared to the 2013 HD2500 with 6.0L. The small price diff may surprise you.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the dealer to find you a 2013 Chev/GMC 1500 with the 6.2L engine, 3.73 rear and the NHT tow package. That will give you 2000# of payload, towing capacity of 10,700# and a very comfortable truck that will work for you. We have one, tow 10,000# out here in the west and are very happy with our choice. We have 4 other trucks both ยพt and 1t on the ranch to use, but am completely satisfied with our Chevrolet 1500.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers are also giving good discounts on 2013 2500HD's. You might consider giving up some fancy trim options for a plain 2500HD which will be a much more capable tow vehicle than the 1500's you are considering. Check out the Work Truck line of Silverado's. Most dealers don't carry too many as they sell for at least $10k less than the fancier versions. I had a 4.8, 5.3, and now a 6.0. Big improvement over either. Payload capacity is why I recommend a 2500. I don't want to waste time figuring out whether I can carry another 500-600 pounds, I just do it.

c4s
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of choices out there in the 1500 class for a 5500lb trailer that are MORE than adequate.

If it's going to be your daily driver Monday to Friday then I fail to see how a 2500 is the better choice ...

Kevin42
Explorer
Explorer
The max payload capacity on the '13 and '14 1500s isn't much better than it is on our older trucks. If you do get a heavier trailer the hitch weight could present a problem. A 5500 lb. dry camper can easily take 900-1000 lbs off your payload. Personally I'm thinking my next truck will be a 2500 or 3500 just so I can use the bed while towing the trailer.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
To be honest with you, you are crazy to not get a 3/4 ton. Budget be darned. Get the best tool for the job. There are so many advantages to a larger truck they far outweigh any disadvantages. No one can predict what the future will hold. Do you know what you might want to tow next year? Five years from now? No!
Besides a stronger frame, better tires and wheels, beefier springs you get things like full floating axles. Throw in a more capable motor and bigger universal joints and IMHO the decision is a no brainer. As for budget? Have you thought about something besides a Chevrolet? There is a whole wide world of very capable trucks out there to explore. Sticking with brand out of misguided loyalty is only doing yourself a disservice.

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
If you will keep it another 11 years you may as well spend the money on the 14 when it comes out. It will be worth it to have the extra power and fuel economy. As you have learned life can change and having a little extra capacity in the truck won't hurt.

It seems the 5.3 in the 14 would give you plenty of towing power.

For what it's worth we have friends that tow with the current 5.3 and aren't happy with it. They are looking to upgrade.

I have the 6.0L in mine and it has less HP/TRQ than the 5.3 in the 14 will have. The 6.0L does a great job towing.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
The budget is not as important as getting the right tool for the job. I shopped strictly by budget last time. ๐Ÿ˜ž There is a budget, but my needs can sway that a bit. Want me to throw out a number? The 13 I looked at was priced at $31k after rebates and I'd be okay with that. The 14's will then be close to $40k and, well, I don't like the sound of that.

My current truck should bring about $10k to put towards the new.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Let's be honest. Go ahead and tell us your budget. That will give us a better basis for what to recommend.