cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP trailer sway almost killed us!

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Somerset E2 "Off-road" PUP. We were on our way to the dealer for lift repair when a minor dip in the road surface caused the trailer to start swaying wildly. I immediately applied the electric brake controller brake (not the TV brakes) . . .nothing happened; that is it continued to sway wildly. We then started applying the TV brakes gently and to pull off on the shoulder. After a hair raising stop, we barely avoided a culvert and guardrail. After I checked myself for wet pants, I got out and rechecked all the hookups. The alarming thing is that this is the 3rd time it has done this for no apparent reason. Does anybody have any insights or possible causes?? We're about to get rid of it.
39 REPLIES 39

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll get the lone prophet in the desert award for this, but trailer sway is a rear suspension problem too. I hunt with a quad in northern BC. I carry the quad in a 4x8 utility trailer. At the last gas station, I fill three jerry cans up. They fit across the back of the trailer, a quad is 7' long. The first TV was a Jeep Cherokee , with the badly balanced load, I had to slow down. My next TV was a Ram 1-ton. The trailer still wagged, but I don't notice it on the truck.
Adventure before dementia

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Drive slower. those tiny tires are not rated for 70 anyway. It's a vacation, not a road race...lol

OP said he was going 60 MPH...
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
cahillprc2 wrote:
This particular trial has a 12' box but no cargo area out front. We were traveling 60MPH on Interstate 70 outside of Baltimore where the posted limit is 70 MPH and people and big rigs drive 80mph. We were in the far right lane and if we went any slower we would have pose a danger as well. I obviously made a mistake using the hitch we had because it did ride a bit high in the front. We'll be getting a new one ASAP.. Someone mentioned a drawbar, what is that?

The best hitch from my experience is the Reese Dual Cam hitch.

I agree with the Reese Dual Cam. I had that when we had our TT and it worked great.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have never experienced sway with a pup keeping speeds at 60 mph. First pup had electric trailer brakes and second pup had surge brakes. Both units had front storage trunks and would be loaded heavy with gear. No wdhi or sway bars
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
You did the right thing to first trying to apply the electric controlled trailer brakes. That would have brought you of your emergency trailer sway situation. However, since nothing happened, you also have a serious problem with your trailer brakes or the controller. Be sure to have that matter taken care of as well as the cause of your trailer sway.

I see the opinion expressed often in sway discussions, but it simply is not always true. I had a large Coleman PU trailer being towed with an Aerostar minivan. Starting about 80KM/hr it would sway a little, 100 was downright dangerous. Applying the trailer brakes (fully functional) did NOTHING to diminish the sway. The only thing that worked was to just gradually slow down until the sway stopped.

New tires & shocks did nothing to help, but as soon as I installed a WD hitch, the sway disappeared, never to return.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
cahillprc2 wrote:
Quick question, someone who used to be a suspension mechanic was looking at our suspension the other day and said it looked like our axle was bent. If so, it came that way from the manufacturer. I out a straight edge against it when I got home and there is about a 1/4 inch bow in the middle. Is that within tolerances or should I take it back to dealer (we have an extended warranty); and could this be the culprit.

That may explain why the person "used" to be a suspension mechanic.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
cahillprc2 wrote:
Quick question, someone who used to be a suspension mechanic was looking at our suspension the other day and said it looked like our axle was bent. If so, it came that way from the manufacturer. I out a straight edge against it when I got home and there is about a 1/4 inch bow in the middle. Is that within tolerances or should I take it back to dealer (we have an extended warranty); and could this be the culprit.

Yes it is normal for the axle to have a slight bow.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
First off, from your 9/04/17 post,it's your tow bar,not your hitch that changes your ball height. # 2, IMHO I would post your axle ? under a New Post' I'm sure you will get a lot more responses under a new thread.

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I have had the trailer brakes checked and the controller. they are working fine now. Replaced the trailer hitch with a little shorter rise so it now travels level. we already had a friction sway bar and were only traveling 60 mph when it happened. The hitch being too high and not caring the weight correctly on the tongue was the problem. TV is a 2017 Tacoma Sport, Dbl Cab, 4x4 with trailer pkg. GVWR is 6500 lbs. TOWING FINE NOW. Your advice was very informative and helpful.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your trailer is perfectly level with your tow vehicle and it is happening, then it is time for a sway bar or bars.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
First question that comes to mind with me is "what are you towing with?" Short wheelbase vehicles like Wrangler and some others are more likely to have problems with sway and ALSO what kind of anti sway system are you using to hitch up? Pop up trailer are sway prone and having SOME sort of anti sway equipment is always a good idea. Usually something as low tech as a friction bar will work wonders at keeping the trailer tracking well behaved behind you. Speed, as already mentioned is another HUGE problem. I have NEVER SEEN any kind of tow able trailer sway while standing still. The further you get away from that rock steady state the more likely sway is to happen. Breaks are another issue but probably not relatwed to your sway but could make getting OUT of it difficult so I would make sure they are correctly adjusted and the controller is correctly set. Proportional controllers are best but even a timed controller should work when you hit the slide on it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You may have a brake issue but brakes don't cause sway.

Your most likely issue is not enough weight on the tongue.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drive slower. those tiny tires are not rated for 70 anyway. It's a vacation, not a road race...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB