cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Battery Terminal corrosion and why

Blueboat
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some one could help, my battery cables corroded and broke off the battery clamps on my Jeep, lots of green corrosion around the cable clamps (terminals) and cables. 2 things 1 I installed a wench on the front of my jeep and hooked the cables to the end of the bolts that go through the clamps that go around the battery posts. 2 nd I tow my Jeep behind my dodge pick up with the camper on and the jeep steering column will only unlock the steering wheel if the ignition is in the run position so I can tow the Jeep.
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 LB 4X4 SRW
2010 811 Arctic Fox.
19 REPLIES 19

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get past your first 100 or so, load & unloads, you know what your doing, but your still cautious and take your time.

It's easy & HARD, all in the same time!

Never over extend your Jacks.

Allways have 4 Tie Downs on Truck to Camper.

Put piece of timber between front of truck camper basement and back of truck bed. Truck
These days are much thinner metal.

Never unload on uneven or soft ground/earth.

Keep Cabover 2 inches higher than rear of camper when Jacking up or down.

Happy Camping

Must have the wrong forum some how, will leave it there any way! Doug
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Blueboat wrote:
Bill Tex you are to funny.
I actually have one Winch on the front of the jeep and one Wench that rides next to me. They both do a good job.

The best of both worlds!
I think you're going to need that winch to pull yourself out of the hole you're digging for yourself with that wench! :E
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blueboat wrote:
I actually have one Winch on the front of the jeep and one Wench that rides next to me. They both do a good job.

The best of both worlds!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Blueboat
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 LB 4X4 SRW
2010 811 Arctic Fox.

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your cables and cable ends are large enough to handle the winch. It pulls a lot of current when operating, which dissipates a lot of heat, which causes more gassing. Make sure there is no grease between the battery post and the battery clamp unless it is conductive grease, even then it can cause the connection to be loose. Grease is ok used on the outside of the connection.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blueboat wrote:
I installed a wench on the front of my jeep and

If she is a Salty Wench, that would explain the corrosion...

Next time try mounting a winch on the front of your Jeep...they are much more useful at extricating stuck vehicles...not as much fun as the wench...but more useful.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Clean and fix everything, assemble it all, then slather it all in big scoops of Vasoline, the grease will keep the acid from corroding the terminals.

X2

I had an electric golf cart. Vasoline on the terminals made a huge difference. That and occasionally just hosing the batteries down with plain water.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I have had excellent success with the felt washers and then spraying the whole terminal with Permatex High Tack gasket cement. The High Tack stays soft enough to 'heal' after connecting jumper cables or test leads.

I re-coat every year ... or two if I forget. I should add that I only do this on top post style systems. The truck in my sig line has side terminals and I do nothing to them.
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clean and fix everything, assemble it all, then slather it all in big scoops of Vasoline, the grease will keep the acid from corroding the terminals.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have a Jeep Wrangler that has a battery terminal corrosion issue. This is a stock Wrangler with no additional electrical load and the original factory battery. The Jeep is a 2011 so the battery is about two years old and may be ready for replacement - Texas heat is rough on car batteries! First time I had a problem was when I went to start the Jeep only to be greeted with the dreaded click-click-click. I've never had battery corrosion issues like this on any other vehicle and I wonder it there's something in the Jeep electrical system that might be a contributing factor. Anyway, to deal with the issue I do regular maintenance on the terminals, have added the felt washers and have coated the terminals with a spray coating material I got at Pep Boys specifically for this issue.

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AGM battery in my camper and the posts corrode anyway - just clean and regrease them once in a while.

And when I tow my Jeep I have to turn the key one click to unlock the steering but it doesn't turn on any power in the Jeep so the battery doesn't run down.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
To me the presence of excessive corrosion is a tell-tale sign the battery is nearing end-of-life.

x2 Time for a new battery.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Am old trick for diminishing the amount of corrosion is also felt washers, If you have a post type battery, that will slow down the corrosive effect of the acid outgassing.
Personaly I would glady spend the extra money on an AGM battery.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Replace your battery with an AGM battery .
They do not leak and will not corrode your terminals .
I removed my battery tray which was corroded and I followed the instructions in this video link .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt_Z7TlbFqM
I followed his instruction and I did very little scrub work .
I then painted my steel battery tray with black derusto .
I picked up and Exide Edge AGM group 78 battery for $ 140 plus deposit .
This solved all of my corrosion issues .
Plus the Edge AGM recharges faster and will take a deeper drain than the conventional lead acid wet cell .