cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holy smokes. Did I read right?

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
The new 2014 Dodge diesel, 1 ton can tow 30,000 lbs. I would imagine you will need the dually wheels.
36 REPLIES 36

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My understanding of the situation is that Chrysler split off the RAM line in preparation for a possible sell-off of the brand during the whole bankruptcy fiasco.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Just MHO, but I think the whole Ram thing is a big marketing blunder. Heck, the Dodge boys started out making trucks. For years the Dodge name was synonomous with a big, strong, tough-as-nails truck. Why Chrysler would strip that name from the truck line and restrict it to a line of bland, unremarkable cars (except for the Challenger) is beyond me. Maybe they should have invented a new name for the car line, or even brought back the Plymouth name.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Some times I tease my friend Jack Rathert by saying your goat truck.

fun is a good thing

chevman

Ain't nothing wrong with a little fun Larry,:B
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Some times I tease my friend Jack Rathert by saying your goat truck.

fun is a good thing

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC, there is one spot on my truck that says Dodge and also my Dad's 12. Legally they had to have one spot. On your 13 there should be only RAM emblems.

You are correct, there are no Dodge emblems on my truck. Can't help myself though,..sorta like when the Baltimore Colts moved out of Baltimore, took me awhile to stop calling them the "Baltimore Colts"...a learning curve there, so eventually I will refer to my truck as a Ram truck, just might slip up on occasion....:B

I have been stubborn that way also. I still call the Key arena the Coliseum in Seattle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NC, there is one spot on my truck that says Dodge and also my Dad's 12. Legally they had to have one spot. On your 13 there should be only RAM emblems.

You are correct, there are no Dodge emblems on my truck. Can't help myself though,..sorta like when the Baltimore Colts moved out of Baltimore, took me awhile to stop calling them the "Baltimore Colts"...a learning curve there, so eventually I will refer to my truck as a Ram truck, just might slip up on occasion....:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Jim,

If you read my post, you will see it was in the 90's. Both the Ford and GM had 15K gvwr rigs BEFORE the current crop of 45 series trucks. GM IMHO overall was the better rig with 19.5 tires vs 16 for the ford, 4wdisk brakes vs disk, rear drum to name a couple of things I did not personally like about the Ford. Reality is, I still see both trucks still on the road working today!

Marty

Didn't doubt you Marty, just didn't know that, I learned something and thank you for that. When I asked when, was just wondering "year". I too see the older GMs and Ford dually's (90's) towing/hauling more than I would have thought they could, now I understand a little better.:)

jim,

i do not see too many of the versions I was talking about pulling trailers per say, as most were reg cabs, setup for contractor types looking for something heavier than the current crop of 35 series trucks that had typically max GRAWR of 7500 lbs and a gvwr of 10K-maybe 11 if you were lucky! GCWR's for any of these rigs was less than 20K usually 16-18K. So if over that amount, yes, they are over manufacture warranty ratings.....from a true legal sense. GCWR is not an amount the LEO will worry about........

Marty

Thx Marty.:) Yeah I knew GCWR wasn't an amount the LEO's worry about...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

blt2ski
NC Hauler wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Jim,

If you read my post, you will see it was in the 90's. Both the Ford and GM had 15K gvwr rigs BEFORE the current crop of 45 series trucks. GM IMHO overall was the better rig with 19.5 tires vs 16 for the ford, 4wdisk brakes vs disk, rear drum to name a couple of things I did not personally like about the Ford. Reality is, I still see both trucks still on the road working today!

Marty

Didn't doubt you Marty, just didn't know that, I learned something and thank you for that. When I asked when, was just wondering "year". I too see the older GMs and Ford dually's (90's) towing/hauling more than I would have thought they could, now I understand a little better.:)

jim,

i do not see too many of the versions I was talking about pulling trailers per say, as most were reg cabs, setup for contractor types looking for something heavier than the current crop of 35 series trucks that had typically max GRAWR of 7500 lbs and a gvwr of 10K-maybe 11 if you were lucky! GCWR's for any of these rigs was less than 20K usually 16-18K. So if over that amount, yes, they are over manufacture warranty ratings.....from a true legal sense. GCWR is not an amount the LEO will worry about........

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in the areas Marty speaks of. Had a friend that lived on 100th Ave I think it was on the west side of Lake Washington. Treacherous on a sunny day. Downright dangerous on icy days. Around here we say "the bs stops when the tailgate drops". In Seattle they simply say "the bs stops here".
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
I was unaware that there were any 2014 "Dodge" trucks. What am I missing here?

To address, you are correct...they are now referred to as Ram trucks, and there aren't any "on the market" now, but you can now order them...you missed nothing, even the "Dodge" in parenthesis........I call it Dodge/Ram, I paid enough money for one that I should be able to call it whatever I want:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Greentow wrote:
It's NOT Dodge anymore, it's "RAM", sold at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealership. ROBSOUTH is trying very hard to be politically correct. Thanks.

Most know it's RAM, but some, like me still say Dodge/Ram...at 63 I'll ask for forgiveness.I didn't own my first Dodge TRUCK until 2010 and it was called a Dodge Ram, in 2012, it changed....sometimes it takes a little longer for others to "change" than others, Calling a Ram truck a Dodge/Ram shouldn't be frowned upon for at least 2 to 3 years:B

I still think Baltimore Colts:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Jim,

Marty

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
It's NOT Dodge anymore, it's "RAM", sold at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealership. ROBSOUTH is trying very hard to be politically correct. Thanks.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.