cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda EU3000is and Coleman A/C Won't Work

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Jayco TT with a Coleman/Airxcel 13.5 KBTU air conditioner MODEL 48253C966. Reading on other forums I have found that this particular model was manufactured without a specific start capacitor. As a result, this unit will not operate on a Honda EU3000 generator and trips the generator to overload after 7-10 minutes.

I am under the impression the start capacitor can be retro-fitted but haven't yet found the specifics.

Anybody have any information or opinions?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
21 REPLIES 21

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Now that's some problem solving if I ever saw any. lol

Comgrats on the new rig.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I solved the problem. Traded the Jayco TT for a new Open Range 216RBS that has a 15K air conditioner and the Honda EU3000 runs it just fine. Kind of an extreme and expensive way to solve a simple problem but it works and I got 2 new slides to go with it. I also installed the Stromberg-Carlson A-frame generator rack. It's a great product and works just fine. Thanks to all for the input.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
It's water under the bridge now, but the hard start kit is just a couple of capacitors. Generic kits work fine. All the A/C units I've seen already have connectors and places to strap the capacitors in. I know 20 bucks is 20 bucks, but I wish A/C units would come with them installed. Units would last longer if they did.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
First step is the hard start capacitor. On order should be here in a few days.

I also found some reference to these units "short cycling" and not staying off long enough to pressure equalize. A delay cycle timer will be step 2 if the capacitor doesn't work.

Thanks for the input. I'll post what happens.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Well Wait a minute. Is the compressor already running at the 7-10 min point or has it cycled off (normal) and is it tripping when it restarts (Fan on all the time, compressor cycling). These are two vastly different conditions, and knowing which will probably provide the correct answer.

The Hard start kit will probably work if it is at compressor startup once it has run already, so long as the delay is correct. If it is tripping when the compressor is already running, then there is an issue with the steady current draw and the curve of the breaker, and probably some wiring issues.

Perhaps the contactor is flakey and intermittently dropping out, with the compressor trying to restart too soon...

The OP is not complaining, he is asking for someone with the same setup to chime in. Unfortunately it may be a rare combination so I am trying to help a bit here.

Why these asshats who manufacture these things don't start making Inverter style units is beyond me...
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to install the Supco capacitor mentioned and also pull the cover of the A/C and make sure everything is clean and operating correctly.

I wouldn't discount the troubleshooting advice offered here. There may be something intrinsically wrong or unusual with YOUR Coleman Mach, connections, or use and that would be observed by measuring the draw of the unit. I know that sometimes we reach for the most reasonable matching circumstances when Internet mining for a solution. Unfortunately, that can sometimes lead down a path that wastes time or money and doesn't offer the correct solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I read your link. The problem they are having is NOT your problem.. Your AC starts and runs for 7-10 minutes.
Forget about these "known issues" as they are NOT YOUR issue. You need to do basic troiuble shooting to find out what YOUR ISSUE is. A kilowatt meter would be an excellent place to start.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another thread I found of others having the same issue. Can't really explain the delay to overload but I'm not the only one experiencing it with this combo.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/generator-vs-ac-question-opinions-wanted-42408.html

Post #22 may provide a clue. It seems this particular A/C may draw starting current for minutes instead of just seconds as most on here are assuming.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
This is a well known problem with the Model 48253C966 Coleman A/C combined with the EU3000is.

I'm not looking for troubleshooting assistance but for information from those who have experienced and solved this known problem.

Just by reading your symptoms... I can tell you that a hard start capacitor won't do anything for you.
You say that the AC runs for 7-10 minutes before the generator goes into over load. A capacitor will only help for the intial surge of power required to get the AC started. It won't be doing any good 7 minutes later.

What is probably happening is that another AC draw comes on line, and that or those along with the running AC causes the overload.

Prime suspects are the fridge running on AC and/or the converter need to charge the batteries.

A converter can draw over 1000 watts. Not sure about the fridge, but I have read that it can be a lot too... It is not hard to see where the 3000 watt generator can fall short of what is demanded by these 3 draws.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not complaining. It's just that their guessing is not what I'm looking for. No troubleshooting, voltage checking or amp measurement is necessary. I'm looking for someone who has had and solved this issue with this particular combo of air conditioner and generator. The response from soundguy is probably the answer but I was looking for some confirmation. Don't really need troubleshooting tips but thanks anyway.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
This is a well known problem with the Model 48253C966 Coleman A/C combined with the EU3000is.

I'm not looking for troubleshooting assistance but for information from those who have experienced and solved this known problem.

Wouldn't it follow that well known problem combos also have well documented solutions? It seems like you're complaining to the people who are genuinely were trying to help.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it were me, I would use something like a KillOwatt to measure the current that the gen is supplying when it trips. There could easily be a bad component in the AC that's making it draw too much power.
At that point you'd know if it's the gen or AC.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
You need to measure the run current on the AC. Do this when connected to shore power.

It sounds like the run capacitor is bad.