cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Mammoth TC

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We recently went to the Green Bay RV show and was able to see this new triple slide TC.

It had great finishes and was impressive (=very heavy). The bathroom was WOW! A separated room between the sink and shower. It has sliding doors that separate the BR, bath and living area. The bedroom is nice and you can to the sides of the bed which makes it easier to make up. IMO it looks shorter. Not sure about that.

It has a fireplace...but really lacks storage on the inside. It does have a pantry that can hold cans and boxes, but lacks drawers and cabinets for necessary items for the kitchen. The short sofa is comfy and it has huge floor to ceiling windows that make it feel roomy.

The under door storage drawer is fantastic. It extends out fully and is lighted. They have gone to Reico-titan jacks as they feel they're better than Happi-jac. The tanks are large (60 gal FW tank).

DH loved it, but I need more inside storage and a FP is overkill.

It was on sale for a mere $65,700. They had it on an F450 dually.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
37 REPLIES 37

Bedlam
Keeping the camper length at 12' and using the longer chassis cab eliminates that long rear overhang that limits any unveven terrain travel and reduces towing capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look more at smaller Class C if they just weren't so close to at capacity.
A great Class C would be starting with the RAM 5500 crewcab 4*4 and then putting on about a 16-18' RV Pod/Camper shell like what Host did for a couple years. There are some Outlander/overlander options but they are big money.

We need towing capacity of about 8K. and we need 4*4 for forest services roads and snow/ice. But we're not going down jeep trails.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Bedlam
I think the Class C RV manufacturers should take a look at the TC models which would result in some better layouts. Many of the TC floor plans would fit nicely on the 12' chassis cabs that have a 84" CA and make a compact 24' overall length unit that has better storage than the TC counterpart yet have great towing capacity and 4wd.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
hbski wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The only Super C that fit my needs was the one offered by Host:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/motorcoaches/motorcoach_270.html

They currently are not in production, but this is the most compact one I have found with 4wd and 10K lb or better tow ratings.

there is a 2008 for sale in PA for $178,900

I test drove one of those out of sheer curiosity, it was quite nice actually. I didn't care for the arrangement but if you like that, it seemed like a really nice rig. The 550 chassis handled great.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Bedlam
My Ram 5500 and a triple slide TC will do what I want for less. Until then, my AF811 is riding on the back in style.

One of my concerns with the Ford Super C is that cab removal is suggested for larger repairs. Not being able remove the cab means pulling the engine out of the front and bigger labor costs. If it was a current MY chassis, I would be less concerned but still consider it a con.

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The only Super C that fit my needs was the one offered by Host:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/motorcoaches/motorcoach_270.html

They currently are not in production, but this is the most compact one I have found with 4wd and 10K lb or better tow ratings.

there is a 2008 for sale in PA for $178,900
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
They use powergear slides.. and they also inspect and re-torque, and loctite the nuts down.

I know this now, because one of my slides shed a roller and nut inside the camper (it was found when the slide open).

garbonz
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to the Host guy at the Denver show and he said the Host TC's DO NOT use the swintek slide mechanisms that everybody else does because they have a tendency to jump track when the campers flex, and this is also a problems on TT and 5er's.

He sounded convincing. I know the scyronizing function on the swintek slides are a known problem and Lippert not always vwery responsive.
Garbonzo

Lakota Estate 33SKQ 2008

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures pictures!!!! PLEASE!!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ricco, Nice improvements. Hopefully still on topic with OP as we're talking storage and benefits of some mods. Last night I finished my closet set-up punching out the 2 false panels above and below the mirrored door. I ordered cherry raised panel doors (4-pretty cheap), stained, lined the top opening (wedge-shaped) with a cherry dishwasher panel from home depot for a shelf, reversed the swing of the mirrored door (modified valance) and installed 2 pull-out wire baskets for clothes. Bottom opening has a flip-down door for shoes and dirty clothes. 3-in-1 now. My wife's is this weekend then on the road for 2 weeks.
Punched out the 2 false panels in the mantel, moved the style? over to frame in the stereo tight to the right. That exposes wiring and plumbing (clean and organized) that assures it was built with some sense of "ownage" by employees. Dropped the inverter and was able to box in a nice storage cubby (added plug from inverter) so electronics can charge without cords all over.
"cheeseast" improvement was adding wine cellar. Found a 5 bottle vertical slanted holder online and mounted it to the back of dinette where furnace is housed. From outside looking through the large window you see 5 bottles slanted down and they can't jump out since it's a metal (I cushioned) hoop construction. Drove out on rural roads to our coast last weekend and only lost 3 bottles to consumption with friends and the other 2 traveled home perfectly. I'll post pictures when I learn the tutorial.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Rico...nice improvments...there is always something!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Rico_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Mammoth and really like it. The major selling points for the Mammoth were 1) the number of windows and natural light inside, awesome. 2) the double access to the bed, I don't have to crawl over my wife to get out of bed. 3) the open space floor plan and bath. We were able to compare side by side with an Eagle cap TS and in my mind no comparison due to the fewer windows and reduced floor space.

I took it to the factory at Bend to get some bugs fixed since Bend is closer than the dealer in Monroe WA. Dave was nice and offered to fix anything that was wrong. They fixed what they could, some blemishes with the interior finish would require major diss-assembly and were a no go. Dave also said to bring it back anytime anything goes wrong and he will take care of us.

I have taken care of some annoyances (to me) that have really improved the camper.

1) Replaced the silly sewer hose tube with a slide out tray that will hold my sewer hose with fittings and the cone adapter.

2) added small gas struts to the overhead door above the TV so it will stay open when needed. Did the same to the cover over the generator compartment as you have to get in for the remote jack activation and the outside shower.

3) added restraint cables to the basement door so when you open the door it does not bang on the ground.

4) installed a GM factory rear-view camera on the basement door and connected it through the umbilical power cord to the factory GM in-dash scree.

5) connected the bedroom and living room tv sound out put to the sound system so that if receiving broadcast TV signal on either unit the sound would be controlled and distributed through the built in speaker system.

This is my first post here. I will add some picture of these mods if anyone is interested.

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
I like the Chalet for the simple reason it looks like you can easily get to the head if needed on the road. I'd hate to be standing out side the TC trying to open the slides with somebody's legs crossed jumping up and down waiting to get in while the slide out/s is/are being slid out for entry to the head at night in the wind and the rain.

Make sure you get the double slide rb116 if that is a concern. The triple slide 116rb has a wacky design where you have to open the bathroom door and secure it to the rear wardrobe when you close the slide. Its kind of hard to describe, very unique design though.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
I like the Chalet for the simple reason it looks like you can easily get to the head if needed on the road. I'd hate to be standing out side the TC trying to open the slides with somebody's legs crossed jumping up and down waiting to get in while the slide out/s is/are being slid out for entry to the head at night in the wind and the rain.