cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water problem

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So yesterday I had a hot shower in my 99 Bigfoot camper. I had just de winterized it and it worked great. This morning I turned on the hot water heater and it heated. Then went to get a shower. The hot water would have a burst of hot and then all cold, lots of pressure just no hot water. I tried a number of times. The bathroom sink right next to it had hot water. I didn't try the kitchen sink as I was short on time. Any ideas. I can't figure out how it could work one day and then not the next
Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most RV water heaters do not come with an adjustable thermostat. Ther is some on the after-market products.
Electric element thermostats for RVs are adjustable.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Not terribly relevant to the discussion, just demonstrating one of my odd proclivities here, but I set my water heater on the lowest setting, and never turn on the cold tap in the shower. Makes for a perfect hot shower.

Hi,

That sounds useful. What is required to make this adjustment?

Turning the knob on the thermostat on the water heater. With a cold tank of water, you turn it up just enough for the burner to kick on.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
Not terribly relevant to the discussion, just demonstrating one of my odd proclivities here, but I set my water heater on the lowest setting, and never turn on the cold tap in the shower. Makes for a perfect hot shower.

Hi,

That sounds useful. What is required to make this adjustment?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
If the valves were in the correct positions, then the issue was that the water heater tank was not completely filled. By you running the hot water valve, you allowed the heater tank to fill which gave you hot water the next time you tried it.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So the day finally ended and I could mess around with it. The valves were in the right place. So I closed and opened them a couple of times and then turned on the hot water heater and it worked. Now I hope it will work tomorrow. Thank you

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bud probably nailed it.
Or if you have an outdoor shower, the valves are on and the head is off.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Winterizing valve(s) in wrong position

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker