cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How close is your "local" dealership?

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious how far people travel to purchase their trailers or take them for service. I saw a trailer this weekend that I never heard of so I looked them up and found that the closest dealer to me was 3 hours away! Do we purchase trailers that are close to us because that's what we see and know even though there may be others that would be a better fit?
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi
28 REPLIES 28

VolFamily
Explorer
Explorer
I shop locally though there are only two or three near me. They take advantage of that and don't "deal" to our liking. Our latest model was purchased five hours away, but saved almost $9K! Definitely worth the drive. Luckily one of the local dealerships does have a good and trustworthy repair dept, though we haven't really had to go in for other than minor stuff. It's definitely worth it to shop around, imo.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
This brings up a question. My co-worker bought a new TT and put it on a seasonal site down at the Jersey shore. Now he is having some problems with the TT. Supposedly his dealer promised to perform any needed warranty on site, but has reniged on that deal. So how do you get dealer service during warranty if you place it permanently on a seasonal site?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We are 40+ miles to any kind of an rv dealer so local is out there. I am 6 miles to the nearest town of any kind and I like it that way.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine as a repo on a ebay auction. Picked it up in Atlanta, 600 miles. I think the factory in Kansas is the closest service but I do my own work anyway.
I had both axles replaced due to a recall. I drove to Goshen, IN, about 2 hrs and at my request picked them up. Did the swap here at home. I replaced the floor on the bedroom slide. A lot of smaller things such as my next project, replacing the florescent lights with LED strips.
A dealer I don't need. Any thing major, I've heard that the factory has a very good repair facility and would make that trip if necessary.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the country but our dealer is only about 1 mile away..... We ordered the camper we wanted with what we wanted on it...... their prices are great ( got better price than anywhere else) , their service is great........Would drive to this place several hundred miles if we needed to but we don't have to ................

greende
Explorer
Explorer
5 Dealers in the Syracuse area (not a large population area). Our dealer is 8 miles away. If we did not see what we liked, we would have driven as far as it took to get the best deal. I figure most RV companies only warranty the rig for a year anyway so after the first season I would take it to any of our area dealers for service.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
300 miles. I bought a Northwood Fox Mountain in La Grande Oregon. If I need warranty work I can get it done at Barker RV repair about 5 miles from my house.
Also Northwood will allow warranty work from any authorized RV repair facility.

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
One actual dealership about 3-4 miles away and several RV supply and repair places within 5 miles.
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
To me, one of the biggest factors in a TT reliability and ownership experience is being able to get problems resolved ASAP. Therefore, I would not buy a unit that could not be serviced locally (within an hour). The two RV dealers I bought TTs from are both about 40 minutes away. I can't imagine the cost and time associated with driving hundreds or even thousands of miles to have an RV serviced. But I understand in real rural areas this may be a reality.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
My local dealer is a few miles away. Not always the greatest salesemen, nor price, BUT...a great service team is what keeps me. Any problem I have, I can call for advice or drop it off. To me, for an RV of any time, the service is the key, not the sale. For our TV and other cars, outside of warranty work, we use some local places that I've known for over 20 years and have had great experiences. But for the RV, the service makes the sale for me.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our RV from a family member so that doesn't count. The only place we have looked for new is the RV Show in Pomona about 30 or 35 miles away. There is a dealer in Burbank about 10 miles away where I use to go for service but I've learned so much about the rig that now I just fix it at home.

Other service I drive 45 miles to the storage yard and have it repaired or serviced near there.

I have been going to look at rentals for sale and that Co is about 25 miles away.

Looked at a consignment lot is Newport, Oregon. One real classic there but no time to really stop. That's about 1100 miles away.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
A large and reputable one is 3 miles from me. That's where I bought mine and have it serviced.
Gary in Western NC

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are full time rving we do not have a dealer "close" to us. We are always on the move. We bought our current rig in Elkhart, Indiana and we are work camping this summer in South Carolina. We just get service where we are when we need it. Have never had a problem getting warranty service.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fortunate to live in SoCal with access to the Lance Factory (approx 1 hour away) or a handful of other Lance dealerships.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer