cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know which drop hitch to buy?

Lovethatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, try to figure out which drop hitch to buy for when I pick up my new popup, (2014 Clipper 108ST Sport) I went to Wal-Mart and was going to pick one up, but got confused looking at all the drop hitches. I'm driving a 2008 Dodge Ram crew cab with 20 inch tires. The dealer wants $75 for the hitch and ball, figured I could save myself $40 buying it beforehand. Thanks for any answers!
9 REPLIES 9

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
retiredtraveler wrote:
suprz wrote:
I have been told by numerous hitch places that you want your trailer to be at a "slight" nose down position when hooked up. It has something to do with tracking and reducing sway

Yes. The general rule you've read probably says 'within an inch'. And you do want to drop down about an inch, if possible.

Definitely err on the side of nose down.
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook

retiredtravele1
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
I have been told by numerous hitch places that you want your trailer to be at a "slight" nose down position when hooked up. It has something to do with tracking and reducing sway

Yes. The general rule you've read probably says 'within an inch'. And you do want to drop down about an inch, if possible.
No longer RV'ing

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Proud father of a US Marine

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Personally I would go for the $40 savings. Just ask the person you're buying the trailer from to go make it level front to back and measure the coupler height. I would imagine with how much you are paying for the trailer that they will be willing to do this for you.

One thing I don't like about the balls they sell at Walmart is they are rated kind of low for my tastes. Their 2 5/16 ball is rated for 6,000 lbs, while at the RV dealer I picked up a 2 5/16 ball rated at 10,000 lbs for a dollar more.

Another option is to go to Walmart and buy one of each drop hitch and the big wrench that they have hanging next to the display. Then go to the dealer and buy the ball and have them put it on the correct drop hitch. Stop at Walmart on the way home to buy some camping supplies for the new trailer and return the unused hitches while you're there.

If for some reason the dealer won't install the ball for you (for free) then just use the wrench that you picked up to install the ball. Once you get it tight, turn the hitch sideways in the receiver tube so you can push down on the wrench to tighten the nut. Now just grab the tailgate for balance and step up onto the wrench using your weight to tighten it further. If you're particularly light give it a bounce while you're standing on the wrench and it will be tight enough.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
center of truck hitch to center of popup hitch, get a receiver that gets you within 3 inches up or down. The closer to even the better.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This will solve your problems. B&W

It is a little more expensive, but one hitch for all the trailers you might pull.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lovethatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah now I'm thinking I'll just have them do it. It might be worth it.

dalejiw25
Explorer
Explorer
With the trailer being that light I would just level the trailer and measure from the ground up to the top of the tongue. Now measure from the ground to the receiver on the truck and set the top of the ball at the same height as the trailer measurement. Now you're towing level.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 75 include installation, and will he charge installation for the hitch and ball? I just bought a wd hitch. When I got the ball (didn't have it at Wally World) I found it required to be torqued to 450 ft pounds. Good thing they had a capable torque wrench at work. Also, the drop will depend on how high the trailer coupler is in relationship to your receiver. To me, 40 isn't worth saving if you don't get the right hitch or if they are going to charge installation on a supplied hitch.