cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is too long when looking at new TT

das
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to upgrade our current 28'9" TT to something larger with more room. We are leaning toward the Keystone Premier 34BHPR that is 37' long. I know that many manufacturers make TT's longer but looking for opinions from others that camp with longer TT's to see if there are other disadvantages to them other than towing a longer and heavier trailer. Do you ever have troube fitting into camping spots?
24 REPLIES 24

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the DW and me a 25 footer is just right. It pulls well and fits in any CG we have gone to.

We do not need anything larger.

Others would find it way to small.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
das wrote:
Hoping to upgrade our current 28'9" TT to something larger with more room. We are leaning toward the Keystone Premier 34BHPR that is 37' long. I know that many manufacturers make TT's longer but looking for opinions from others that camp with longer TT's to see if there are other disadvantages to them other than towing a longer and heavier trailer. Do you ever have troube fitting into camping spots?

Do you max out camping spots where you go now?

Do those campgrounds not have longer spots?

An 18 foot trailer will fit where a 22 footer will not. Any length trailer is going to have some places it cannot go.

Only you can tell if your camping style would be limited by a longer trailer.

Handling and moving a 37' trailer isn't that much different from a 30' trailer - at least it wasn't for me when I made a similar change over a year ago. I do find places where I can't take the bigger trailer that I know I could have taken the smaller one. But it has never been a 'problem' just watching carefully.

One potential issue is the swing of the rear end of the longer trailer. My old trailer had about 8-10 ft between the back axle and the rear bumper. This one has almost 17 ft. That makes the rear bumper kick out much farther to the outside of a turn, especially in a tight campground, than the old one did.

I've never hit anything on the inside of a turn, but I do have some small scratches and dents from the outside of turns with this TT.

Yes, some places have a size limit. The only place I've ever heard of which will go out and measure trailers in the CG is the NP mentioned above.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
There will ALWAYS be more spots that can handle a 30 footer than a 37 footer. Usually a trailer that long is considered a "park model" not a travel trailer but there is no real reason you can't use it that way unless it has residential plumbing etc. For what it's worth, there are also a lot more sites that handle a 28 footer than a 30 footer. I've only been thrown out of one campground with my 34 footer and that was a NPS campground at Mt Rainier. When I asked them why I was asked to pack up and leave I was told it was impossible for a trailer that long to travel through their campground. Keep in mind this was several HOURS after I'd set up on my site where I parked in front ofo the trailer in position to hook up and had 8ft. left over for parking. It wasn't any harder to drive OUT of the campground than it had been to drive in.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said, assuming you have an adequate, nice heavy, long wheelbase towing vehicle, a trailer that long will tow fine. We went from a 30' 6600 lb trailer to a 35' 8800 lb trailer, and notice little difference with our E350 diesel van. It does sometimes reduce the number of suitable campsites, but that hasn't been a problem for us the places we normally go. The extra room is really nice!
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
You will be too long for some camp grounds. Many USFS sites are smaller. Bigger is not always better. I see alot of wasted space with bigger trailers. IMHO
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what your gonna pull it with. Myself have an easier time backing a longer trailer, just need more room to maneuver in turns.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
das wrote:

I can't offer a valid opinion without knowing what you are towing with. You need a lot of truck to safely tow 37'.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We are also considering upgrading to a 37 footer. The actual towing down the road won't change.

Getting into some campgrounds,(narrow roads) will become more of an issue.

There will some sites that we expect not to be able to get into. When we bought our thirty footer we did so because we planned on staying in National Forests a lot. As it turned out we did not.

Other than national forests, with their older sites, most parks can easily handle 37 feet, maybe just not in every site.

We are not going to worry about it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My last TT was 39' long. With the proper set up and adequate TV a long TT is no problem.
I was not totally satisfied with my prior combo until I upgraded to a Hensley Arrow hitch. Nevertheless the combo was great.
While ultimately I was always able to find a spot . A longer TT can present challenges finding and maneuvering into a camp site vs. shorter models
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no way I would ever attempt a TT that big. Just too much that can go wrong. IMHO anything over 30 feet becomes unwieldy really fast.