cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how long is your tear down/setup time?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ways to improve our setup and take down time. It is roughly an hour for each. I feel like it could be cut down. The most time consuming is getting the inside in working order once we arrive, or putting it away before we leave. any tips/tricks to speed the process?

We have those stackable wire shelves we put on the counter to reduce clutter, but takes time to unload the bins and put it all out once at the CG. We do try and split the chores up. I do all the stuff outside- Power, water, tools, chairs, etc while she gets the inside ready.

I know one would be to bring less stuff! We have a tendency to bring way too much food or snacks and have to move it back and forth. This year I picked up those anderson levelers and they help quite a bit.

I was thinking of making some shelves with backs/bottoms and ditching the wire racks. Then I can transport what I want in the shelves and once at the CG just throw them on the counter and they will have everything already in them.

Looking for ways to transport the grill (charcoal) easier, or just bite the bullet and get a gas grill that folds up that I can just throw into the back of my truck. Charcoal grills just aren't made for easy transport.

Just wondering what tips/tricks people have picked up over the years to make the process easier/quicker.
83 REPLIES 83

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never really thought about it, but for us it probably takes longer to set up than take down. Unhitch, level, awning, mat, put the cooler on the mat,plug in to electric, we're done.

Like others, I'll take my time if there is water or sewer hookups. We're usually staying at a CG for 3 or 4 nights, those hookups can be done when I feel like it.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Are you including arguing with DW on placement of the camper???

Here I thought we were the only ones.

Usually takes DW longer to find a suitable site than it takes to set up. (She always says "you pick", yeah right).

Then about 10 minutes. Usually don't hook up sewer till second day. Been doing it for over 25 years so is all automatic.

Probably helps that TT is only 22' long with no hassles caused by cumbersome leaky slides.

Since I changed back to Equal-I-zer hitch, even quicker unhitching & hitching.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife does a lot of process improvement stuff at work, so she has us on a plan also. We've got 2 kids 13 &15, so they help a lot. We just upgraded from a pop up this summer. With the popup we had set up down to about 25min.
With the TT we are going slow to get the hang of things, one thing I've to to learn is how much we can be doing at the same time. We've got power stabilizers, tongue jack, awning, and the slide, I'm not sure yet if they can be ran at the same time.

One thing we learned the last time is as soon as we pull in, one of the kids goes around and unlocks everything.

Packing up time depends on if we have 4 bikes and 4 kayaks to load onto the truck. That takes longer than the camper.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
With no prep time night before we pac,ed up and on the road plus breakfast in 1.5 hours. Setup at next spot took 30 minutes tops maybe less.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
setup time is pretty quick, we divide the chores. me outside dw inside. who ever is done first, lights the bbq

packing up takes longer, we're both paranoid about missing something. again me outside, dw inside. I'm guessing 30 minutes.

then we do a walkaround outside together for road ready stuff, light check, tyre check, hitch setup etc etc, setting up properly for the road should be done very carefully, we're towing a 4000 lb missile(if it comes loose)
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I forgot about dumping on the way out. That takes about 10 minutes. Maybe 15 if no one is waiting behind me and I am not going camping for awhile. That would be added on top of my 20 minutes to pack up time.

I'm a weekend camper and I don't wait in line to dump. Every one else is in a hurry to leave Sunday. I stay around until 4-5 Sunday evening. No line then. Most places say you are suppose to check out by then. But,,,,, most of the places I camp have no one in a hurry to check back in either Sunday evening or Monday morning so I have never had a problem pushing the check out time. This would be different at places like Yellowstone I suppose.

Agreed. I didn't include dump time and I hate waiting at peak time. Often times I'll book Sunday night in places that I know are anal about check out time and just hang out til like 7pm and not use the site for the night. I'd rather pay for the extra night than feel rushed on Sunday morning. Don't get me wrong though....I love being able to stay at places that don't care if you're really out by the proposed check out time.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot about dumping on the way out. That takes about 10 minutes. Maybe 15 if no one is waiting behind me and I am not going camping for awhile. That would be added on top of my 20 minutes to pack up time.

I'm a weekend camper and I don't wait in line to dump. Every one else is in a hurry to leave Sunday. I stay around until 4-5 Sunday evening. No line then. Most places say you are suppose to check out by then. But,,,,, most of the places I camp have no one in a hurry to check back in either Sunday evening or Monday morning so I have never had a problem pushing the check out time. This would be different at places like Yellowstone I suppose.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
ralph day wrote:
"Dumping on the way out takes another 20 our 30 minutes. "

OMG, how could it take that long?! Dump black, a pail of water goes in, dump again, dump grey. A pail of water goes in the black for shakes and giggles. Tops, 10 min.

I'd hate to get stuck behind one or two taking 30 minutes. I'd carry to the next cg.

Ralph

If you're a weekend camper, most of that time would be sitting and waiting in line for your turn on Sunday morning.

If you can get out before 10am you can easily be first. That's what I have done the last 2 trips. No line

Yeah but that would involve waking up earlier, rushing around to get everything packed up etc. Not much fun when your weekend trip is only 2 days anyway.

Anyhoo, just pointing out that just because it takes 20-30 minutes to dump, doesn't mean someone is slow and clueless like ralph day's original comment suggested.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
30 mins on either end. As others have said, for teardown I prepare almost everything the night before. With limited space I am always cleaning up as it is and this helps when it is time to go. Wife takes the inside, I'm on the outside and we are a machine when unpacking or packing up.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
ralph day wrote:

OMG, how could it take that long?! Dump black, a pail of water goes in, dump again, dump grey. A pail of water goes in the black for shakes and giggles. Tops, 10 min.

I'd hate to get stuck behind one or two taking 30 minutes. I'd carry to the next cg.

Ralph

If you're a weekend camper, most of that time would be sitting and waiting in line for your turn on Sunday morning.

If you can get out before 10am you can easily be first. That's what I have done the last 2 trips. No line

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:

Ralph

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Set up about 30 minutes. Tear down we can do about the same since we usually start putting things away the night before. Mine is a 5th wheel so I have the auto level system which helps a bit.

Did an "emergency tear down" once that took us about 10 minutes from start to ready to go.

Wasn't an actual emergency, just changing campgrounds, about a 10 mile trip.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
average 20 min on arrival and 30 on departure only because I like to take it easy. ive done it in 5
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Unhitch, level, hookup.... 10-15 minutes. Beer on ice is the dangling carrot that motivates me.
Times fun when you're having flies!