cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many have crawled under your trailer recently?

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how many have crawled under your trailer and checked things out? Like the wiring etc.? I went under mine after I purchased it used and checked the wiring to make sure nothing was rubbing or starting to chaff. I started at the front and went to the back, found a few places where the tape that was holding up the wiring turned loose. I covered all my wiring and placed clamps to hold it up so it would not rub. This comes from being an aircraft mechanic for many years. I hope to prevent future problems. Just thought I would put this out in hopes it might help others. Reading the post about the fresh water tank falling out made me think about what I had done.
Mark
24 REPLIES 24

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is completely covered.
The only thing that I check when I adjust the brakes is to make sure the cover is OK

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
When the kids were small and we were traveling for extended periods DW and I would go under the trailer for some alone time... As the kids got bigger we convinced them it was fun to sleep under there... We appreciated when they started putting the underbelly covers so we didn't smack our heads so hard when we'd forget where we were and try to sit up. We re older now so unless it rains really hard we just stay under the awning. It was nice having the extra space when we needed it though. Sometimes miss the good ole days!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Rockwood 8318SS has a standard underbelly cover.

However, I drop part of the cover every few years to take a look.

The first time I did this, I was appalled at what I saw.

There were holes drilled into the frame with sharp burrs, and wires were stretched tight across the edges.

The wiring and some of the plumbing was held up only by resting on the cover. I used clamps and cable mounts to attach everything to the underside of the floor so it was not laying on the cover.

The black and grey tank mounts were defective and the tanks could have fallen out (and had started to).

I fixed all the factory defects I saw, so I am feeling better now.

But I still like to drop the cover (pretty involved) and look every few years to see if anything new was happening.

Steve

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Never.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
right before it leave the driveway, every time
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Weekly. It is part of my pre/post check.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Was under mine on our last trip where I was able to trace down a fouled ground that was affecting my slide. Ground was really loose near the steps. Removed, cleaned, greased and tightened. All better now.

I actually get under mine at least once a summer. I feel I know my trailer like the back of my hand.
I love me some land yachting

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Usually under ours as least 1-2 a year did not want the underbelly covered.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Went under the rig before the last big trip, and I will before the next one also.

Only way you get to look at the condition of the inside of the tires also.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I crawled under mine after the last trip and found one missing nut and one area that was rubbing. Replaced nut with nylock nut and wire tied one area and all was good.

I also repacked the wheel bearings and had to replace one hub and backing plate/brake assembly.

It does pay to check things out.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper