cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many trips?

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who are still working full time and have a family and busy life, what is the average amount of trips you take a year with your TT? I'm just curious. We'd love to take more but we seem to average 8-10 per year.
24 REPLIES 24

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
I try to go every other weekend if possible at least to the local SP CG ( About 15 minutes from home). Then at least one long trip in the summer. Usually Lake Erie, this year I think the blue ridge mountains near Luray Va.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go every weekend that I can in the summer. If I don't have the time to go far I stay local. I never counted the trips but, it's a lot.

MOshorthair
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out next weekend for the first trip of the new year. have planned trips for 1 weekend each month through October and then hunting season I will take a week long trip out of state in September to Colorado (elk) and two weeks in Missouri & Kansas (deer). Also, a week with the family in Wisconsin so I'm hoping we use our trailer several times this year. So right around 34 nights. this is our second season with the trailer

trailer_newbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our kids are grown, but 2 out of the 4 are in college so we need to stay working. We earn a good living, but we are a big nipple of support at the moment. Donโ€™t support now, and they will be back as they get older. Little 3-4 day weekends, maybe a 5 day here and there. Buckskin in Az last Dec was our last. Tubac Az at Deanza this weekend, you get the idea.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Last year (our third seasons with a travel trailer) we took 10 trips, one 11-days, the others just 2-4 nights. 32 total nights. Not much planned yet for this summer, but we like to go Sun-Tues usually, so we don't worry so much about having to book ahead to get a spot.

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:
For those of you who are still working full time and have a family and busy life, what is the average amount of trips you take a year with your TT? I'm just curious. We'd love to take more but we seem to average 8-10 per year.

I'm a teacher with summers off, but I'm up north and my camper is several hours away. So, I take one long one, this year from June 21 to August 19. My camper is my home for two months. Come on June !

Kevin

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am retired and go on lots of trips, but most of them are not with the RV. I go on a lot of boat trips, backpacking trips, and trips in the rough desert where an RV is not necessary. Sometimes I just want to be in the middle of nowhere in a tent. I like RVs but usually take mine out on 3 trips a year or so.

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
4-6 long weekends a year, always early spring or late fall.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We try to go as often as possible, trying to increase amount of nights or trips each year. We have been around dozen trips a year so far. mostly weekend trips as we both work. Last year got in a couple weeklong trips in, which thought was great. Liked not having to break camp on Sunday, got stay for awhile.

Have not been yet this year, hopefully going next 2 weekends to start season, and go from there. There is a lot of places we want to see but do time and distant not really feasible for us.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We try for 55-60 nights a season which is almost every weekend over summer vacation. We have stated going earlier (already have 7 nights in this year) and later each year. With the kids getting older and involved in stuff I really have to make a point to keep the free time on the calendar.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
We typically do one or two longer vacations (week or close to it) plus several long weekends per year. Generally in the 20 night range total. I would like to do more but it's tough balancing work, work travel, family obligations and our kids are increasingly tied up with things of their own (which will probably get worse as they get older).

This is us. While I'd love to go more, we tend to do a couple of long trips during the summer, then a weekend or two on the shoulder seasons. I work Sundays, and we have 3 kids in school, so weekend camping Sept-May is not easy for us. But, we do 3-4 weeks each summer, plus a couple weekends, usually 20-30 nights in total.

2018 will be 23 nights in just 3 trips (our lowest number of trips in years - due to a non-camping trip to CA).

Preliminary plans for 2019 put us at just shy of 4 weeks during the summer, plus any weekend stuff we do in the spring and fall.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:

But this is why we do driveway camping from Mid-March to Mid-December every year too. From that time period, we sleep in the camper every night. Except this year. It's still too costly to heat the camper.

Driveway camping definitely counts! So say the dogs who declare any time spent in the RV is FUNTIME. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We average 6-8 trips per year. With 2 kids active in baseball, softball, hockey and soccer we are busy year-round. We have a favorite county CG 10 miles from the house we go to several times a year just to get out and use the camper. The CG hosts must think we are crazy but it keeps us in the area so the kids can go to their games. We do one big trip a year for 7-9 nights; last year it was Arkansas, this year Colorado.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:

9 months into owning a TT we normally have done 1 to 2 weekends a month including winter time. looks like you are in sc. we live in central nc so as you know we can have 70 degrees in january, then 2 weeks later have snow or ice.

we have mixed in longer weekend trips 3 to 4 nights, and have a weeklong trip planned this coming september spending 1 night in pennsylvania, then up to niagara falls for 3 nights, back into penn. lancaster county amish country for 3 nights back home.

we both work full time but made the commitment when we bought the TT to use it as much as possible and have loved every minute. i grew up in the 1970's camping with my parents and sisters. back then mom and dad started with a truck camper, then a popup, then finished with a 20 TT. we all have great memories from camping.

one of the biggest reasons we bought a TT to travel is our 4 small dogs. traveling was hard to do at times because we don''t board them, and mother in law house sits/dog sits if we can't take them with us on trips via airlines etc. which only happens every couple of years.

they have adapted great to camping. 2 of the 4 are special needs/ rescue dogs that have issues so we feel best if they are with us.

overall we are completely happy with our decision and it has allowed us to travel and visit areas that we hadn't had a chance to before