cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How safe are you when boondocking

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver
130 REPLIES 130

path1
Explorer
Explorer
This is the longest post I've seen here dealing about guns. Is it a record?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
elkhornsun wrote:

A handgun is a great way to get yourself shot. In two-thirds of gun incidents where there is an intruder the intruder uses the homeowner's handgun to kill them - at least according to the FBI statistics.

Oh, man, another one. That statement is so farfetched itโ€™s ludicrous. Someone has either badly misread a statement or we have a blatantly phony study again. I find it unlikely, though, that the FBI would risk its credibility by publishing phony stats so I think a lot more is unsaid than said.

For many years the NRA has collected newspaper articles from all over the country regarding citizens using a gun to defend themselves and they publish some in their monthly magazine. Overwhelmingly, no shots are fired; the mere presence of the gun stopped the activity in its tracks. The last issue notes that guns are used over two million times a year for personal protection. An incredible number, but theyโ€™re astute enough to also publish the source and date of the articles so the info is easily confirmed, to the chagrin of the opposition. Interestingly, I see many phony studies published but I never see the above info in the media and I wonder why.:)

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
One other tool you can carry,,, a 5 iron and plastic golf balls!! Keep it by your bed,, great jabbing tool, and if you go to the door,,,,,,,its a great El Kabong!!! tool!! A pitching wedge and a driver are on both ends of the scale!!! Use something in the middle!!!
Oh,, Yeah,,, I am a terrible golfer!!!

That would work very well if you had double slides
and your name was Tiger:B
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
One other tool you can carry,,, a 5 iron and plastic golf balls!! Keep it by your bed,, great jabbing tool, and if you go to the door,,,,,,,its a great El Kabong!!! tool!! A pitching wedge and a driver are on both ends of the scale!!! Use something in the middle!!!
Oh,, Yeah,,, I am a terrible golfer!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Sleepy,

50 nights of boondocking for ten years and essentially full time doing so since May 1st of 2013. Not ONE problem. No weapons of any kind required.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
OP,,Yes on the handgun, Yes on a 160 pound dog, both wife and i have handgun training and are licensed!! Be careful out there,,, just having the HG doesnt make you safer!! Being out of cell phone range raises the hair on the back of my neck!! Also,, KNOWING exactly where you are is a big help!! In today's society I do not trust ANYBODY!!!
Sad state of affairs we live in,, having that gun,,, might make you the criminal!! In Cali you truly have to be fearing for your life in order to justify lethal force!! Not just scared!!

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Roy Ken
Be careful about the "ball bat" in some locals that is concidered a deadly weapon if you don't have balls with you. I am being serious here.

This is true in CA but not in your camper, your camper is your home so you can carry a bat just as you can in your home
tucker the fishing dog

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
I have never had a problem in the woods boondocking. I have had things stolen befor in a campground. Last year in bakersfeild parked at my daughters condo in a good part of town if there is such a thing there. I had someone try to open up my camper door at 1am. I yelled out and came down off the bed like flash lightning with a 9mm ready to defend myself and wife if need be. The person ran off as i could see them through the magnifier window in the door. This was my aim point and focus as I came off the bed. I would not shoot over items being stolen but if you come through or try to come through my door I will defend my home. Yes I said home In the eye of the law our campers and campgrounds are home and the self defense laws apply. Im sure some of you from the north will think im bad for carring a firearm and not a fire extinguisher or bear mace but the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun or knife is a good guy with a gun. The bottom line is camp only were you feel safe. But remember most if not all bad guys go were oppertunity is, not way out in the woods.

Just my 2 cents

And the guys out there cooking meth or growing pot;-)

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a problem in the woods boondocking. I have had things stolen befor in a campground. Last year in bakersfeild parked at my daughters condo in a good part of town if there is such a thing there. I had someone try to open up my camper door at 1am. I yelled out and came down off the bed like flash lightning with a 9mm ready to defend myself and wife if need be. The person ran off as i could see them through the magnifier window in the door. This was my aim point and focus as I came off the bed. I would not shoot over items being stolen but if you come through or try to come through my door I will defend my home. Yes I said home In the eye of the law our campers and campgrounds are home and the self defense laws apply. Im sure some of you from the north will think im bad for carring a firearm and not a fire extinguisher or bear mace but the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun or knife is a good guy with a gun. The bottom line is camp only were you feel safe. But remember most if not all bad guys go were oppertunity is, not way out in the woods.
Just my 2 cents
tucker the fishing dog

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I look at lethal force as insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but it is something you may pay dearly for if you do not have it available.

I avoid risky behavior and locations as my first line of defense. Next I secure items or keep temptation out of view to avoid opportunity. Third I make my environment uninviting for a potential crime. The idea is make yourself a hardened target that is not worth the effort or risk and the criminal element will look for an easier return.

If human safety is ever threatened, appropriate response will be administered without hesitation to neutralize the threat. You will notice that I am not advocating lethal response, but it will be sufficient to take control of the situation.

I have to agree with this line of though. I have read through several pages of this post before I gave up. I am not pro gun and I am not anti gun. And I don't carry a "gun" camping. A firearm is a tool,and unless you know when and how to use it you shouldn't have one as you will more than likely end up doing something that you will be sorry for. But as far as carrying a firearm,I would be more concerned with the BIG FURRY wildlife,and even then short of a 12 ga. I think it best to let them do what they do UNTIL there is no recourse but to use force if that deems to be the last recourse. As far as people taking your property,I don't leave that much out when I retire for the night. And if I did hear a lot of commotion (human type) I think it would be a good time for my dog Tiny to take a walk,O how he likes to play a little rough but well?! On second thought let them take the lawn chairs I don't want MY dog to get food poisoning.
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I'm sure most carry but also a good ball bat and wasp spray in a holder next to the door is probably good enough... A Police scanner in the background is also a big deterrent...

My trailer is equipped with a good working motion detector lights on both front and back. I can also turn ON/OFF the awning from a pocket remote thumper. In the five years or so I have never run into any dangerous situations. We have been checked my local police a couple of times in a Walmart parking lot haha...

We have always arranged things for quick get away if camping back in secluded places. Some folks have dogs with them which is great first alarm device...

Just use good common sense and be aware of your surroundings is the best approach to camping off to your self somewhere...

Also be aware that 99 percent of others campers around you are your best friends... We all look out for each other pretty good... If we are way back in the woods we always checkin with the other campers in the area that might be around us - nice to have someone watch your back so it seems...

Roy Ken

Be careful about the "ball bat" in some locals that is concidered a deadly weapon if you don't have balls with you. I am being serious here.
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Where would I start?
1 Bear spray or mace discharged down wind or in a confined area works on everyone.
2 bats you can't weild a bat in bed.
3 Knife last resort Make sure you have at least one.
4 shot gun. About like a bat in a confined area. If you carry one make sure it has a stock a short stock is a lot easier to shoot then a pistol grip alone especially when standing. Always keep a gun you may have to use chambered with the safety on.
5 Pistol keep it handy and loaded if you think you may need to use it. Not unloaded in the back of the rv.
6 Guns remember what is in the back ground (what is behind your target)If you fire any Gun inside an rv you will probably be bleeding out your ears and be deaf, at least for a while, at least a really bad ringing. DON'T LET THEM GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO TAKE IT FROM YOU.
7 Dogs They may protect you But mainly an alarm to wake you up to shoot the intruder.
8 taser not bad
9 Any weapon can be taken away and used on you DON'T GIVE them the chance.

10 It is better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6! Told to me by a former secret service agent.
11 If a gun is good enough to protect the president ,then it is good enough to protect Me.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
exhaustipated wrote:
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
This is the OP. Please stay on topic, or risk your post being deleted as Off Topic.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Or you could boondock in Canada, leave all the hardware behind and be extremely safe.

Gosh there sure is a lot of videos on youtube about violent street gangs.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.