cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How safe are you when boondocking

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver
130 REPLIES 130

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure we are agreeing about what boondocking is. Some people seem to be parking in neighborhoods while others of us are way off the beaten track. I imagine the number of people who carry with a tc isn't that far off from the number of people who carry without a tc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Here in California the thing that been happens is a gang of 3or5 gang member storm a house And take it over before anyone call 911! Not rv related but still is bad trend that happening with more frequently
Gary

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Overall, this Thread has been pretty constructive. It is starting to go down hill, with a couple of borderline Trolls. I will try to be patient, and not close the Thread. I will tighten down on the troll post, or post that have troll leanings. I will not notify the poster if I delete their post.

Unfortunately, most gun related Threads are eventually closed. Hopefully, this one will continue in a positive direction.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
nstate wrote:
Lots of interesting replies. I respect your question, at least you have the guts to ask. I served our country for over 23 years as a Police Officer and prior as an Infantryman in the Army. Both positions required the use of firearms. I mention this ahead of time because someone is going to challenge my opinion. The OP asks a legitimate question and I feel compelled to share my experience. Sorry if anyone becomes offended, but safety is more important.
I think commonsense(the brain) is by far the greatest weapon, the firearm is the greatest equalizer. Most here haven't ever had a problem during their travels as a result of that commonsense, but mostly luck. Folks, there is SO MUCH "crap" going on around you every single day that you are not aware of. This doesn't suggest your stupid, but it's unfortunately true. The old saying,"you don't know, what you don't know!" It would absolutely shock you to know the dark secrets of your neighbors and the people that you stand next to at the checkstand at a gas station. People who call you paranoid are simply ignorant to this world we live in.
Follow the suggestions of being aware of your surroundings when you park or gather for your stay. Both animals and humans are predators. You can't always spot the attacker, not all of them are sleeved with prison tatoos and are muscle pumped. Some are very crafty and unassumable as they are masters as to entertain their victims.
I think you get the point, but just because most have never seen any danger in their life doesn't mean they haven't been near it. Every one of us has been very lucky. In all my years, I haven't ever been in a traffic collision. Should I stop worrying and drive with disregard? Am I paranoid? Should I surrender my license and not drive? Use the commonsense you've developed your whole life and enjoy our great lands.
I have a friend that's a RCMP officer(Royal Canadian Mounted Police). I am always baffled/amazed when he describes the anti guns laws of Canada. These shock most Americans as our country has such deep history rooted with our right to keep and bear arms. I would die for each American to keep that and all these rights. Therefore, unless your a criminal and/or abuse the right to have a firearm, you can keep it and use it in the defense of your life or great bodily injury. As far a Zimmerman? Well he's alive as are countless others that have used and/or even displayed a firearm to disway a would be attacker. Now having said that, it is your responsibility and yours alone if you choose to display or use it. Therefore, any responsible person should learn safety and become proficient with it along with the laws applicable to the state it is to be possessed.

This one I agree with. My wife and I are well trained in the use of firearms. Hopefully never have to use them but we will continue to practice as much as we can. We both hunt and Barb can outshoot me with her .38! Remember, dial 911 but it can take 10 minutes or longer sometimes before police arrive. Be able to fend off some crazy person until then. I don't think sprays and bats can out reach a gun if the perp has one. Just my entitled to opinion.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
This all reminds me of the wizard of Oz and this chant. dangerous animals

We know your position... or at least your Cute responses... if you don't have something constructive to add plese go away.

Everyone else has been pretty much an adult... it appears that you just want to be noticed.. childish as always.

You have ruined many threads on the truck camper forum over the years. I had you blocked for a long time... maybe thats the answer again... everyone block you... or maybe the moderator just remove you as the troll that you are.

Sorry about this... I'm just tired of you.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This all reminds me of the wizard of Oz and this chant. dangerous animals
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
exhaustipated wrote:
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.

if its legal to do so Id would definitely recomend it,
Way out in the outback a rifle or a shotgun is more practical imo as you may encounter some dangerous wildlife such as bears or cougars etc,,
Also having a dog might be even better as they can smell the danger long before people see it,,

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Or you could boondock in Canada, leave all the hardware behind and be extremely safe.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad this thread didn't get closed, though I thought it was going to escalate badly there for awhile. Lots of good information came out on both sides of the 'debate', if that's what it was. I think we all won.
As a gun lover, I vote for guns, but not all self defense circumstances will require deadly force. If all I have is my gun, then all I have is deadly force. I'm very good, but not good enough to knee cap someone effectively in the dark like they do on TV! I think I'll add bear spray to my arsenal...
Thanks for all the good advice and insight.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. However, blaming the law abiding citizen for what other people do with firearms is absurd. Most firearm deaths in the US are by suicide. One simplistic view is to say that if there were no guns, there would be no suicides. Is there anyone on this forum who actually believes that? Japan has no guns and they have a much higher suicide rate than we do.

I think it has something to do with the old samurai mentality,that teaches its acceptable way to die,,,also the reason for so many suicides in Jp is people being seriously overworked by the employers,and not having enough time to rest or take a holiday

http://youtu.be/P9mrPBAi45c

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck, Good Joss, Good Karma, Good Sense and Good Timing. I'll take them all. For us the expression,"It is better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it!" Has always been a guiding principle. Fire extinguishers, propane detectors. life rafts and short barreled pump shotguns etc. are among the many safety items we carry as a matter of habit. I think that those who routinely do like-wise may give off an aura that discourages intruders. We have always traveled with a good sized dog, her barks and presence may have warded off conditions we were not aware of.

We traveled extensively by sailing yacht in and out of the USA. I had a fully automatic Mini 14, there were two times when I had it over my shoulder that defused potential problems. When help is minutes away you may have only seconds. Preparation tends to cause the avoidance of problems. Those who act and look like pigeons get plucked. In 9 years of TC travel covering almost 100,000 miles, we have experienced no problems with security. We have stayed out of large urban areas, we have never overnighted in highway rest stops. So far so good!

A careful scan of the suroundings is necessary, always. We never leave the TC without locking the doors. Being aware, not paranoid, has been successful for us. During the recent kidnapping rescue in Idaho, one of the experienced horseman who was responsible for saving the young girl, said he was suspicious of the guy because he was holding a cat. The horseman said a knowledgeable woodsman would have known that a mountain lion would be attracted to the camp because of the cat, in those woods. Deterrents that prevent confrontation seem the best course. Most perps will tend to take the route of least resistance. Motion detector lights, a dogs bark, a show of strength, any action of resistance, an alarm, a shout. scream.

But, actually, we have never been bothered, ever, boondocking, anywhere!
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it really boils down to how good a shot you are?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
exhaustipated wrote:

Yes, it is safe to boondock. At least as safe as campground camping.

Yes, I carry a handgun most times. It is my right to carry one, and I prefer to utilize the right. Yes, it feels reassuring to be prepared "just in case." I am the one primarily obligated with preserving my own safety, not the police (who may not be able to show up for a half hour, not their fault, they can only be so many places at a time).

A firearm is a tool. So is a hammer. Both can be dangerous. If you don't believe me, drop the hammer on your toe. But we don't argue about whether or not we should carry hammers... if we want one, we grab one and take it with us, end of discussion. Same with firearms.

If you don't feel comfortable with, or won't become skilled enough with a gun to use it safely, then don't have one.

I did not take one on my recent summer trip of 3500 miles. Why? Because I went to Yosemite. California doesn't allow 'em. The time I missed that gun the most was the 2 nights I boondocked SW of Mono Lake, far from anyone else. But mainly that was because I saw big cat tracks in the area. You can bet I looked over my shoulder frequently, and when sitting outside I kept the trailer at my back.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep a big bundle of money which I blast out the door.
The bad guys scurry around grabbing the falling leaf bills.
I drive away.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
bjohns wrote:
We carry, both in the truck and in the TC, and we have concealed carry permits. Some folks I know carry bear spray, which is extremely effective and you don't have to hit anyone directly. Our daughter gave an intruder one blast of bear spray and that was the end of the intrusion. She had watery eyes and the effects hung there for awhile, but the intruder fled probably to the ER. A blast of bear spray within the confines of a TC would be pretty hard on you as well as an intruder, but the intrusion would end right then and there. But in an extreme situation, a blast right by the door aimed outside would probably not be so bad. At least nobody, good guy or bad guy, gets killed.
That said, we have done plenty of boondocking and ever had an incident of any kind.

I like the Bear spray, Would never be needing to spray in the camper though, It would be hard to climb up in a truck camper anyway with a man standing inside the door blocking it. Im proactive and use the element of surprise, If they even raise their voice at me or look at me the wrong way they are getting sprayed. Spray them and drive away to the next town. Leave them laying there, don't even call anyone. At home I don't have to worry because in our part of Oklahoma we have a cure for the bad guys. But on the road Ill have lots of bear spray and a small maple fire bat used by the fire department for breaking car windows to rescue people. I have always lived in the country so haven't had a lot of problems. And I use the common sense tactics sleepy and some others posted. And also I probably don't look like a easy victim either. But Im still cautious. This has been a great thread. Some of it may have gotten off topic, But im thinking the OP probably has learned a lot about self defense and common sense tactics. Great thread.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.