cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How safe are you when boondocking

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver
130 REPLIES 130

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. However, blaming the law abiding citizen for what other people do with firearms is absurd. Most firearm deaths in the US are by suicide. One simplistic view is to say that if there were no guns, there would be no suicides. Is there anyone on this forum who actually believes that? Japan has no guns and they have a much higher suicide rate than we do.
Why is it that every crime ridden city has the strictest gun control laws? Look at Chicago.
I have had the opportunity in my former career to make some very important policy decisions that dealt with public safety. My number one concern was always to understand that the individual has the "right" to defent themselves. There are actually people in this world that believe only the police and the military should have guns.
How often is an initial crime committed against a police officer? The crimes are committed against the citizens. Crimes against the police are usually committed when they try to apprehend a suspect "after" the police have reasonable cause to believe that suspect has committed a crime. That crime is usually against the citizens, not the police.
Police work is dangerous and they need guns, but most crimes are not committed against the police. They are committed against you and I. By the way, what are the odds that the police will be there to stop a violent crime if one is committed against you? Anyone want to bet on those odds? Most people know the answer to that question.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Kimber Pepper Blaster II. Take a look on U-Tube for some videos of what it will do...

Kimber has only 2 "shots". Better buy 5 or 6 for practice. It is recommended (by security professionals) to have a "spray; gel; foam or stream" with at LEAST an 8 burst capacity (however, the comfortable minimum is 10 bursts). Imagine having a firearm with a 2 round capacity (unless it is a double-barrel scatter gun) ?
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
sleepy wrote:
I have boondocked 1007 nights since Jan 2005... never had a problem. I wouldn't stay in many campgrounds

Most people are so unqualifed with a handgun they are about as likely to shoot someone in their family as they are the imaginary thug. If you can't hit the bulls eye of a target when you are relaxed what makes you thing you could hit a human when you are nervous or scared sh*tless?(I was a NRA qualified instructor a good while back... and a Life Member for nearly a half century)

If you feel that you need a firearm in your camper... get a shotgun... you might be able to hit a person in your door... but maybe not a moving target (after all, experienced hunters don't alway kill a rabbit or squirrel with a shot gun.)

Think about experienced gun owners in history in duels... one or both usually miss their shot.... how much experience do you have?

+++++++++++

Also.. if you are going to cross borders into Canada or Mexico you can't be armed.

++++++++++++

If you put a NRA sticker on your camper you'll increase the chance of a home invasion... the thugs will break in looking for your guns... when you are gone... or worse, when you are there.)

So, my advice: If you think you will need a gun to boondock... don't boondock!

Sleepy

Exactly

x2
Having boondocked more than most people here, all I could share is to go out and enjoy yourself. The best advice I recieve is from locals. Check out the local info of where there are safe places to be and not to be. A few years back I was traveling through New Orleans and the locals were very careful in what neighborhoods I should stay out of.

As for the gun issue, If you are not ready to take another person's life, you have no business carrying/taking a gun with you.

Enjoy your adventure, don't stay anyplace that will maek you, or your family, uncomforatable.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP...just dont stay in any areas where you see beer cans and garbage strewn about!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Idahoan
Explorer
Explorer
95 percent of my camping is boondocking. I've camped where there was nobody for miles, and also camped in popular areas where there are people right next door. I do not carry any guns and have never felt like I need to.

The most threatened I have ever felt is back when I was a tent camper and woke up to the sound of clashing horns, I thought I might get trampled by a couple dueling bucks!
2017 RAM 3500 CTD
2017 Sandstorm 286GSLR
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2017 YZ250FX
2011 KTM 250XC
2013 Kawasaki KLX140

racewave
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible that a criminal may be reading this forum and planning a crime against a camper. That criminal has to be asking himself "Do they have a gun or don't they?" The question then directed to that felon becomes "Do you feel lucky punk?"

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
The advice here is priceless, coming from perhaps one of North America's top boondockers: here-->

Read the last sentence particularly carefully.

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I both have conceal/carry permits and have had a fair amount of training. We have hand guns in the RV when we travel. Neither of us are SURE we could use them to shoot someone. For that reason we both carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster II. Take a look on U-Tube for some videos of what it will do. Non-Lethal/Legal everywhere but very effective. They are two shots. Buy two for each person you care about. Have them shoot the first one at a target so they know what it does when the trigger is pulled and it will reduce the "Gun Fear" most have. Carry the second one. They are less than $40.00 on Amazon. Every wife and daughter should be given two.

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Bedlam
pianotuna wrote:
30,000 gun deaths. Over 2/3 self inflicted. If you carry you are part of the problem. -end-

There are more deaths every year by people that avoid preventive health care than firearms. If you are set on preserving life, you should should be focusing on larger influences to the death rate than firearms. With your argument, there will plenty of things we should take from you just so you do not hurt yourself...

You can start working from these lists:
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/births_deaths_marriages_divorces.html

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/transportation/motor_vehicle_accidents_and_fatalities.ht...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleepy is by far the most experienced dry camper, stealth camper on this forum when it comes to big cities. I won't call it boondocking as that is reserved for the boondocks!!!

I have no desire to do what he does. If I am travelling more than one day I will turn down a country road and find a "spot". Sometimes it does not work out but most of the time it does. But then I don't leave the West!!!

I have stayed at city parks in tiny towns a couple times with no trouble.

Number ONE defense........Pay close attention to those little hairs on the back of your neck!!!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
30,000 gun deaths. Over 2/3 self inflicted. If you carry you are part of the problem. -end-

Wow. Carrying a gun causes one to commit suicide? That's a new one.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
I worked 34 years in a max a prison and I know the trash that is released each day - I carry !
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Funny part is; if they were 100% self inflicted, the rest us us wouldn't need one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
These guns were protecting me last winter when I spent the night in the USS Iowa parking lot.
Or at least they are aimed at my sleeping lot.
Oh yes it is in downtown San Pedro, California.

Wow I just would not go out of the house if thought I needed to carry a gun.

(They are 5 inch Navy guns. Spent some of my youth as a projectile man in the handling room under a 5 incher on the USS Rupertus DD851)
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper