cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to get the TC in the garage?

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
What methods are there to get the truck camper inside the garage for the winter if it's too tall to back in while it's loaded on my truck?

If I can't get it in the garage what are good methods to protect it while it remains outside for the winter?

Thanks.
Jeff Fox
20 REPLIES 20

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
This is a small one I built for my pop top.It only weighs 1400 lbs
cost maybe $150

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Camper cover, no matter how well made, is not a second skin. I have had covers on my camper since I bought it 7 years ago and don't think it has served any purpose other than to chaff the finish from rubbing in the wind. My finish looks like carp and am think about leaving it uncovered this winter. I wouldn't mind spending the money for the covers on a regular basis if I felt like it was providing a benefit but can't say I feel like it has.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't buy a camper dolly, you build one.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

lonetow
Explorer
Explorer
see my pics in this thread
Dolley
2006 Dodge Quad 2500/4X4/SWB/CTD/Auto
2013 Lance 825
Rancho 9000XLs Firestone Bags
2002 Jeep TJ Sahara Auto 6cyl

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
I did the high end cover from camping world.

Lasted 2 winters before falling apart and it did let water through. Very useful :R

I use some of that foam pipe insulation on the downspouts. That was one of the places where the cover did not self destruct.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
i built one similar to cewillis. Real low to the ground. I can roll my rig around the shop by myself. Easier with two people though.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
If you choose that route, go for a well made cover which may cost $600-$1000. Cheaper covers end up being replaced.

All covers, if exposed to the elements long enough, end up being replaced, IMO. My boat came with a high end cover. About $1200 worth of cover. Heavy duty Sunbrella material, super, heavy-duty anchor points, draw strings (rope actually), nice, stitched-in air vents. The whole nine yards. That thing lasted less than 5 years. Completely fell apart. Now, I buy the thin material, $59 covers from walmart and a large silver tarp on top of that and call it good. I get anywhere from 2-3 years out of them. Way more economical than spending a $1G on something will end up deteriorating just the same.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
In my case the dolly could only be 10 inches high,then build one out of 4x4s and 600 pound hard rubber tires.

Here's one similar to that. (I'm now using a small hand winch to move it)
Cal

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the awesome info guys. I really appreciate it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff Fox

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I did was lower the TC all the way down as far as it will go, then do some measuring to see how tall the dolly can be. In my case the dolly could only be 10 inches high,then build one out of 4x4s and 600 pound hard rubber tires.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you only need a few inches, release air in air bags and release air in tires.
If you need more room, then you have to remove the camper or rebuild the garage or.....wrap it with a cover. If you choose that route, go for a well made cover which may cost $600-$1000. Cheaper covers end up being replaced.

A used boat trailer with wood planks might work . For ideas always check the truck campers projects page on the truck camper home page.
You could always hire someone to build a dolly if you choose that .

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18622123.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16593595.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24556822.cfm

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I hear tennis balls with a slit cut in them on the spouts somewhat remedy that problem.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't get a cheap cover like I did. My downspouts caught and punctured the poly-pro. At least I will get ventilation to let the camper breathe.

I am looking for a utility trailer to be able to put the camper on and back into my garage.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:

They said "Oh, it's supposed to breath".... I replied "like a fish?". They hung up on me. It was not a good call.
I'm near Seattle, and that was the biggest waste of money I ever spent on my TC.
If you're in Arizona and want to keep the sun off, get an Aquashed.

Ha,, that was you on Amazon, huh? LoL. I saw that.

Aquashed seems to be the worst covers according to reviews, not just on Amazon, but everywhere. I went with the Classic Cover. I used my cashback points and got it for about $110. Since I don't live in an area where it seems like someone forgot to turn the water off for days and weeks at a time, I'm hopeful that I'll get more than year out it.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's