cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Remove Mattress

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2007 NL 10.2 RD. The mattress that is in it, is not stock, but I have not idea how to get the thing out of there. My wife and I struggled with it for awhile then gave up. How in the hell did they get that in there, and more importantly, how do I get it out? Any thoughts?
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo
20 REPLIES 20

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Just any sharp knife a bread cutter or any electric knife, but first mark if with a straight line
5" to the hedge and a 45' to the opposite corner
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Another advantage of a popup: The emergency exit opens wide enough to fit a mattress!

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Put a memory foam in ours as well and have not cut the angled front yet. Memory mattress comes close to getting "rid" of the front angle, we can live with so far anyway.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Cutting foam is easy with an electric carving knife. If you don't have one, try a second hand store.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
Gaetan wrote:
I just toke mine (memory foam ) out I got in the bed lift a corner nad fold it in two and to put it back in I kept it folded with rachet strap,
I added an alluminium type insulation 1/4in under the bed to keep the cold air from cumming up
D'ont forget if you put in a new memory foam mattress you have to take a 5" off the butom part because of the angle at the head of the camper.
Gaetan

Yeah the 80 inches is slightly long in the cab over. How did you take off the additional foam?

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I just toke mine (memory foam ) out I got in the bed lift a corner nad fold it in two and to put it back in I kept it folded with rachet strap,
I added an alluminium type insulation 1/4in under the bed to keep the cold air from cumming up
D'ont forget if you put in a new memory foam mattress you have to take a 5" off the butom part because of the angle at the head of the camper.
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Our old camper came minus a mattress, no problem there. New one bit of an issue as funds don't allow for a sleep number and we both have different asleep issues. Finally found a furniture store in Colorado, where we picked the camper up, that had futon mattresses with inner springs and bou coups padding. Fit perfectly but went ahead and added 2" memory cool foam topper and it sleeps us great. Difficult finding a thin enough mattress, under 10" to allow ample roll over space, and right firmness or lack there of. Laid on every one in the store before settling on that one. It came rolled and taped so install was easy. Same for memory foam and it included a fitted cover that goes over both parts.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so my wife and I removed the mattress last night it took an hour! Rachet straps helped somewhat. I have no idea how the previous owner got that mattress in there in the first place. Replaced with 8 inch foam Spa Sensations from Walmart.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
luv2skyski wrote:
We just did the exact same thing two months ago. Just like everyone's been saying. Fold it in half lengthwise, tie with rope and remove. The memory foam mattress we bought came all shrink wrapped and just be sure to open it after you get it in place. It'll "inflate" then just give it a few days and the slight chemical smell will disappear.
Happy camping, Dave.

what he said!
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RoyB! I appreciate the thumbs up!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
FRANK SHORE - Excellent idea on using RATCHET STRAPS... Should be able to fold it enough to get it in open area. You may have to let it out again however to get through the TC Door..

We purchased 3-inch foam from EBAY sales for our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer beds and was really surprised when UPS delivered them all reduced down in size in the shrink wrap package.. I actually questioned the UPS guy if they had brought the correct item I had ordered.

I did the same thing by opening it up already inside the tent bed area and it expanded right on out for a perfect fit haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going as thick as 8 inches, maybe consider the sleep number air mattress for RVs. We use one and it is better than our bed in our house. It is easy to get in because it comes in separate chambers and the frame is foam.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tizi wrote:
All good suggestions. How do I get the new one in? I am actually going to replace it with 8 inch foam mattress. Those are likely easier to fold?

Get a 'bed in a bag'.......foam mattress that comes in carry/shipping bag (great fro other uses) and vacuum sealed in plastic.

Take it out of carry/shipping bag.....haul it into rig and THEN open sealed vacuumed bag.....stand back and watch it grow :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

luv2skyski
Explorer
Explorer
We just did the exact same thing two months ago. Just like everyone's been saying. Fold it in half lengthwise, tie with rope and remove. The memory foam mattress we bought came all shrink wrapped and just be sure to open it after you get it in place. It'll "inflate" then just give it a few days and the slight chemical smell will disappear.
Happy camping, Dave.
2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.