cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Howdy from TX Hill Country

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Nic is wiredgeorge and my real name is George. I just bought a truck camper and am really stoked! Camped one night at a MISERABLE RV camp in Rockdale and that served to answer 90 percent of my questions. Never had any sort of RV or truck camper before.

I was a little hesitant to post as folks get scolded when they don't (or can't) afford a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. My truck is standard 2013 F150. I bought a 2002 Lance 815 Lite. I know the truck isn't ideal but did about 700 miles this weekend with the camper and my little pickup pulls it fine. The camper is close to the payload weight but I put some True Lift air bags on and jacked tire pressure up to 42 PSI. I plan on getting some stouter tires in the future as funds permit. In the future, I would like to pick up an older F350 but they go for big bucks in my neck of the woods and most have 300K miles and I don't want to wrench on a truck. Perhaps I will win the lottery and be able to afford more truck.

In any case, I will be married to my young missus 45 years come this weekend (Valentines Day to be exact). We can't do a camping trip as I am waiting for a few odd bits to come in to make camping more fun. I ordered a TV mount for a 19" TV I have, some grab rails, a 3 step ladder (tough getting in and the RV steps tend to be out of my price range) and MOST IMPORTANT, a new mattress. Bought a decent mattress as the original was long gone and there was an air mattress in the camper when I bought it with a topper and it is not good, to say the least.

I have to figure out how to make a spot level enough to where I can get the camper off and set it. I own some acres but all are on the side of a hill; common story I guess. Anyway, I suppose I will have a lot of questions when I get smart enough to know what to ask. Thanks
and God bless!

Oh yeah, didn't see any way to put a signature together. Where is that done?
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
22 REPLIES 22

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the 815 club. Mine wet and loaded weighs 2,400# per CAT Scale, only option is the air conditionerkl. I've had mine since 2009 and haven't had any issues.

If you can't find a set of pods, I would suggest you make a set of brackets to hold tail lights at the rear of the camper and plug into the standard 4-way plug on the sides of the camper. The truck lights may be hard to see when someone is close to you. If you would like to see what they look like, I have a set in my shed.

Hope you know the shower drains into the black tank. Some folks change the shower drain to a hose so they can catch the water in a bucket and either pour into the sink to put it in the gray tank or carry it to the shower house.

At least you have a mattress, my first night in mine was without a battery, no power, no mattress, no water except for the gallon jug I had bought in a Walmart. Had to sleep on the dinette and I was so tired I didn't even put the table down, just crawled in under it.

If you need any info about it, just shoot me a message. I've made a few mods to give more space like a pull out pantry under the fridge, shelf over and beside the entry door along with a cubby behind the monitor panel.

Hopefully, you will have as much fun in yours as we've had in our.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Keep at it George. I've been there. Bought a used Tejas camper made in Beaumont I think, passed around at work, 3rd hand. Not one problem with that old camper. Put it on what Ford called a light duty F250. It had cast twin I beams up front but a 5/8 ton rear end. I had some kind of tie downs that went in the bed stake holes with wing nuts holding them down. That 1982 Ford was regular cab with a 300 six and 4speed granny gear. Tires were 7.50 x 16 tube type. Me and the wife and baby went all over Yellowstone and the Dakotas. I almost flipped it over in Oklahoma in high winds. Got home and ordered JC Whitney overload springs. I didn't know what a CAT scale was.
I bought a good truck tarp to cover a 4x8 trailer the father law made in the backyard and took that rig elk hunting in Colorado several years. Heck we slept in the camper going down the road taking turns driving non stop on hunting trips.
So you don't need no stinking $50,000 camper to have fun. Matter of fact I wouldn't mind having that rig back.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
George,
I think we have found a new, fun writing voice of the newbies.
I had to wince a couple times during the description of your initial ordeal because many of us have been through a similar saga, or worse at the beginning.
My only comment is to set yourself up for a good, long term experience, instead of any short cuts that hang around your neck seemingly forever.
I've come to understand that almost any TC lash up is possible to take.....for a while anyway. Safely? Not so much. Just do what you want to do and see what happens. But, be sure to make another report for us.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry if you can hear me laughing a thousand miles away! Sounds very familiar. You can learn a lot on this forum there are no dumb questions just people who have been in your spot. Try camping in the driveway at home a few times you'll learn a lot.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
A couple comments. Looking over the Lance brochure for 2002, Lance does advertise the 815 Lite camper for a shortbed full size truck. I think what makes it look weird is the lack of skirts which was an option for shorted trucks.

Ah, didn't know that. Then shouldn't be a structural problem carrying it on a short bed.

Thanks for sharing the story, George. I chuckled all the way through it. Your upcoming trip has to be an improvement!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that when I was looking at and thinking of getting a TC that the ones I was looking at you took the tailgate off to carry them?
bumpy

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
wiredgeorge wrote:
...10 ply high payload tires. ....
Tires, schmires... won't mean JS if the wheels are not up to the job. Not sure if 5 lug, 1500 series truck type wheels with a high load rating are available.

BTW- Don't just go by ply or "letter" ratings of tires...look at Load Index (LI) to determine "high payload" capacities for tires.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kind words. I will get it figured out. I already put Air Lift air bags on for load leveling. Once I get a level pad built, I can take off the camper and will be buying some Chinese 10 ply high payload tires. I know folks will yell at me for that but those tires are just fine and are CHEAP.

I would love to find a CHEAP 3/4 or 1 ton truck but all the ones I have seen that are older have 300K miles on them (in the price range I can afford). It would be nice to be able to just leave the camper on the truck.
wiredgeorge Mico TX

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like typical first night of camping in a used camper. :B
Hope you enjoy your camper as much as we do ours.
I had to upgrade tires and shocks when we got ours. Bought some used torklift tiedowns off ebay for 1/2 price of new ones. Put upper stable loads to level the truck back up.
Once you get it all figured out you'll see how nice it is to have your food and bathroom with you everywhere you go.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a .pdf copy of the owner's manual and the camper sits on my truck exactly like the one pictured in the 2002 owner's manual.

We bought the camper from a fella in Nacogdoches and it is about a 370 mile home. By the time it was loaded and we got a cursory briefing on how stuff worked, it was lunchtime so we drove as far as Rockdale and it was getting dark. I was getting tired and we stopped in at the Walmart there on US79. My wife suggested we stop for the night and there was an RV park right across the street. The park is called Shady Oaks RV Park. The education began.

It was raining. The park doesn't have any attendant and you stop in at the Comfort Inn next door and pay. First hint was that they have you pay cash or pay an additional $7 for using a card. They hand you a key to a slot and send you to the park. The park is on the side of a hill and there are no level spots. The road to the spots was mud and when I opened the locked electrical box, I plugged in the camper and filled the water tank and lit the propane heater. All seemed OK as the rain came down hard. My wife put my supper in the microwave and NADA... the brand new microwave didn't work. Called the PO and he was kind enough to let me know that the microwave wouldn't work unless the truck had power from the 30A box. The microwave is 110VAC only. That was a hint that the electrical box didn't work. Walked back to the office in a driving rain and got another key for another box. The gal had no idea which electrical boxes worked and which didn't.

Pulled into slot 24 after disconneting and BINGO, after plugging in, the microwave worked and I had a hot TV dinner for supper. The truck was setting pretty uneavenly and the camper sat at a slant as a result. I learned never to park at a slot that is sloped.

The dogs belonging to all the permanent campers barked all night. My wife wouldn't let me shoot them and suggested I shoot the owners. I didn't.

When I finally got to sleep on our air mattress with a topper, I was woken by a drip of water on my arm. Couldn't figure out where it came from as the ceiling was bone dry. Second time it happened I figured out that since it was cold and humid outside condensation from the warmer insides formed on the aluminum rail inside the emergency hatch and with the trunk on a slope, dripped about one and hour on my arm. I read in the owner's manual that you are supposed to crack a vent to keep the condensatin down.

The mattress is horrible, by the way and I have a new inner spring mattress coming from Overstock.com via eBay.

The next morning, went to take my first showeer and the water was ICE COLD. After taking a quick shower in cold water, I checked and the pilot light had gone out. The gas tnak had run empty! There is a volume gauge on the tank which never moved off 1/2 full. It doesn't work. I did shut off the gas and turned the water heater to off.

I went outside while my wife roused herself and the ground was a mud mess. There was no gravel on the parking spot, just dirt/grass. I dumped the water tank and when I went to dump the black and gray water tanks, found the sewer hose we inherited with the camper didn't have a fitting to go into the sewer so my missus had to come out and hold the thing. The hose also was cracked and leaked. The adventure suddenly left the trip and we stopped right away, once on the road and scrubbed our hands good. I pitched the hose when we got home and bought a Rhino hose kit.

I have also bought a TV mount, a 3 step step to get in without drama, a couple of grab handles to get up into the bed and a DVD player.

I will be sure to pick my camping park more careuflly in the future. A camp ground with clean and private showers will go a long way as well. We are going to camp the weekend of Feb. 17-19 at the Big Oak River Park just outside Camp Wood which has all these things.

Oh yeah, the place in Rockdale claimed to have cable and wifi and they didn't. Cell reception with our AT&T phones was sketchy as well. It was an adventure and we actually enjoyed it as we had a great breakfast Sunday morning at Lee's Landing diner in Rockdale... pretty fine breakfast tacos!
wiredgeorge Mico TX

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
A couple comments. Looking over the Lance brochure for 2002, Lance does advertise the 815 Lite camper for a shortbed full size truck. I think what makes it look weird is the lack of skirts which was an option for shorted trucks.

http://www.lancecamper.com/docs/2002-brochure.pdf

I would get better tie downs ASAP. The tie downs as they are fitted give very little resistance to rolling the camper out of the bed in heavy side winds or evasive maneuver.

If the truck is carrying the camper level with the stock suspension that is a good sign. With almost any TC upgrades such as sway bar, better shocks and quality tie-downs are key to safe and sane travel.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Hi George & Mrs George! Welcome to the forum. As you surmised, you're going to get a lot of comments on your camper-truck matchup. Most folks here are trying to be helpful. You said this is your first RV so you're at the bottom of a steep learning curve. Your comment that your first night was MISERABLE hints of a few steps you've already taken up the learning curve :E You'll have to share that story some time :B

The 815 is designed for an 8' bed truck and needs support along its full length for its structure and the heavy water and waste tanks enclosed. Your tailgate may not be strong enough to provide the support it needs. It may hold for a while but the inevitable bumps along the road will stress the tailgate, the camper, or both. One option you might consider until you can switch to a long bed truck is to put the camper on a trailer and tow it behind the truck. Yeah, that defeats part of the purpose of having a truck camper, but it would eliminate the support issue and other concerns that your camper-truck matchup raise. And it would even help solve your problem with the steep terrain at your home as you wouldn't need to unload it. You can find some previous posts where others have done this and it works out really well, sometimes even providing extra room to store gear or to serve as a porch.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
wiredgeorge wrote:
Geez, now I am accused of not taking a photo to hide something? That was the only photo I had and was taken because my missus was in it. The camper was made for a 6 1/2" bed (which I have) and the anchors are Brophy. The turn buckles are part of the Brophy kit and chains were subbed for heavier gauge chains. The rear "turnbuckles" are are Torklift. I thank you all for your concern and expertise. I will lurk for awhile and see if I can gain some of this expertise.

Thanks for responding, wiredgeorge.

Brophy (I always wondered what they were called, thanks!) when overstressed does cause damage to the truck bed and outer fender, oftentimes when used in a manner not designed for. This has been reported on this forum before. The word I used; overstressed. Many, here too, recommend Truck Campers not to be attached in this manner. Brophy Mounts are typically used for attaching Truck Toppers.

As for the photo and your statement for the photo and TC designed for your truck, I welcome a future photo of your entire truck and Camper combination. My perspective was made due to the portion beyond your tail lights and rear mounting bracket, of the TC, out of the frame of your photo.

As for the turnbuckle, I can only see the front mounting fastener and you did not respond to that fastener. I can only state that I am not aware that Torklift currently produces or sells a fastener as pictured at the front mount on your TC.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, now I am accused of not taking a photo to hide something? That was the only photo I had and was taken because my missus was in it. The camper was made for a 6 1/2" bed (which I have) and the anchors are Brophy. The turn buckles are part of the Brophy kit and chains were subbed for heavier gauge chains. The rear "turnbuckles" are are Torklift. I thank you all for your concern and expertise. I will lurk for awhile and see if I can gain some of this expertise.
wiredgeorge Mico TX