cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hyperinflating RV prices and people who pay any price

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't get it. Seems the world went nuts and everybody got rich but me.
37 REPLIES 37

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Look, you all know what happened last year about this time. The world shut down completely for THREE MONTHS and for many months after that there wasn't much going on.

But you could go camping..

Not so. Most of campgrounds shut down solid at the time, where even last fall campgrounds had lot of restrictions.
Mostly bathrooms were closed.
Last spring AZ and NV kicked out all snowbirds, what created quite a situation.
When I expect that some hotel travelers will sell the RV they bough last year, some of them might actually like the idea.
Just last Saturday my friends tried to drive their RV via Red Rock Canyon Park.
The park had so many visitors that they close the gate and made it "by appointment only". When this is happening when Covid is still in force, what can we expect in July?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oh, and I wouldn't consider $1400 or even $4000 as "hyperinflating."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look, you all know what happened last year about this time. The world shut down completely for THREE MONTHS and for many months after that there wasn't much going on.

But you could go camping.

It was BIG NEWS on all the outlets that RVs of all types were flying off the lots as people with nothing better to do bought RVs and hit the road.

In the meantime the RV manufacturers were shut down. The supply chain STILL hasn't caught up and probably won't for at least another year.

This is simple SUPPLY AND DEMAND ECONMOICS, folks. Demand goes up. Supply does not meet demand. Price goes up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
Just wait a year or two. The newbie buyers will find out the TC life is not for them and sell. There will be a flood of used units once people figure it out.

Absolutely. People will go back to their old ways and forget about RVing.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Just wait a year or two. The newbie buyers will find out the TC life is not for them and sell. There will be a flood of used units once people figure it out.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree we are in a bit of a gold rush in the current RONA era. But I don't expect new prices to come down in the future. Think about the additional cost of every American that touches any part in the camper making $15 an hour.
Whether you view that as a good or bad thing is irrelvent. Prices have to go up to support it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
restlessways wrote:
rlw999 wrote:
restlessways wrote:

Yeah, I was going to buy a new camper but I just can't justify the price. I think I'll use the 5th wheel this summer and sell it off in the fall and wait a year or so to buy something else. I like to "buy low, sell high," and that's the opposite of what's going on right now. I think there will be a ton of cheap RVs in the future.

It feels like the market is slowing down a bit, my local dealer has a few more used units than they did a couple months ago, but prices are still high. Don't count on buying anything at NADA book value these days. And while it used to be that the dealer advertised price was just the upper starting price and you can talk it down, it's the opposite now. I called a dealer about a unit that was advertised to see if he'd come down in price at all. He apologized about not taking the ad down sooner, it was already sold for cash price 10% over their advertised price since a couple people got into a bidding war.

I'll give it a year and check back to see how the market is doing.

There are very few used campers I see that I'd even be interested in. Most are rotboxes. This guy wants $15,000 for a mold infested, delaminated POS. Are people really that stupid to even buy something like this? I wouldn't want it at any price. It's ruined.

https://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/d/red-bluff-cab-over-camper/7286468216.html

If they are and that sells for $15k, I gotta be able to get more then the $4k I was thinking for my old Okanagan..... whoot!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
restlessways wrote:
I wish we had a "like" button here.

Well for some strange reason the MSRP โ€˜add onโ€™ for camper that Iโ€™ve had my eye on for the last month inexplicably just went up by a whopping $1400 dollars - what gives??

Welcome to my world. I had received a quote on an Arctic Fox 990 last year, and called them back this year and it's gone up $4,000 for the same rig. Yeah, that's sustainable.

NL's are up $10k in the course of just 3 months, if that makes you feel any better..... ๐Ÿ™‚
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
rlw999 wrote:
restlessways wrote:

Yeah, I was going to buy a new camper but I just can't justify the price. I think I'll use the 5th wheel this summer and sell it off in the fall and wait a year or so to buy something else. I like to "buy low, sell high," and that's the opposite of what's going on right now. I think there will be a ton of cheap RVs in the future.

It feels like the market is slowing down a bit, my local dealer has a few more used units than they did a couple months ago, but prices are still high. Don't count on buying anything at NADA book value these days. And while it used to be that the dealer advertised price was just the upper starting price and you can talk it down, it's the opposite now. I called a dealer about a unit that was advertised to see if he'd come down in price at all. He apologized about not taking the ad down sooner, it was already sold for cash price 10% over their advertised price since a couple people got into a bidding war.

There are very few used campers I see that I'd even be interested in. Most are rotboxes. This guy wants $15,000 for a mold infested, delaminated POS. Are people really that stupid to even buy something like this? I wouldn't want it at any price. It's ruined.

https://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/d/red-bluff-cab-over-camper/7286468216.html

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
restlessways wrote:

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Prices are shooting up because everyone has decided that RVing is better than dealing with the Rona rules with Hotels and what not, plus the general fear of the disease in using a living space that already has a bad rap for cleanliness.

I'm hoping to get my swap work done as soon as I can to sell off mr. KIT while the rush is still on in hopes of moving it on to a new home easier.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody is taking vacations in onion, or radishes, yet the prices went up 20-30% in last year. Even more on potatoes.
But dam right I will pay any price for the above... unless I can buy lobster cheaper.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prices are shooting up because everyone has decided that RVing is better than dealing with the Rona rules with Hotels and what not, plus the general fear of the disease in using a living space that already has a bad rap for cleanliness.

I'm hoping to get my swap work done as soon as I can to sell off mr. KIT while the rush is still on in hopes of moving it on to a new home easier.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œVodoo Economicsโ€??

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't get rich by hard work.
You can try to follow Bill Gates, but for average person, investing in real estate is the best bet.
The California house I bought in 1990 for $199,000 is worth now $2,600,000
I sold it for 1.5 mil 4 years ago. Maybe I should wait?