cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I guess I will be driving a new Ford tomorrow

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.
75 REPLIES 75

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well thatโ€™s some seriously bad luck with an otherwise great combo.
But itโ€™s the service that is depressing. Makes me cringe thinking about buying a vehicle with a warranty if a guy gets jerked around like that.....I feel better about being my own warranty station.
Do your homework and start raising he!!
Sitting a month and then the potential lead time for parts or an engine could be a long time in the shop. By the same token itโ€™s hard to believe that every car that comes in gets parked for a month . Dealer is jerking your around IMO.
Also believe about 1 percent of what a service writer tells you. Prolly moved up from flipping burgers last week.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a long shot but the last time a motor locked up on me it was just that the fuel pressure regulator had stuck open and dumped enough gas in to hydro-lock the engine. I blew a starter trying to turn it over but got out for a starter and a regulator. Good luck!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Keymastr, that stinks about your truck and winter plans. Hopefully some alternative pops up.

Every truck at my job gets an oil change first weekend of each month with semi synthetic,which usually is between 3,000 and 5,000 Miles, but we also do LOTS of idling. Iโ€™m sure a lot has to do with the immature guys driving the trucks.

We picked up a new 2017 F550 V10 in April and I just turned 39,000 miles today. Great truck so far.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
keymastr wrote:
Service writer just called, they tried to start it to diagnose the issue and it is locked up solid. Looks like I will not be going winter camping as they are backed up about a month before they can start on it. Oh well, gives me time to plan our spring southwest tour.

That stinks, hopefully they will get you fixed up before Christmas.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Service writer just called, they tried to start it to diagnose the issue and it is locked up solid. Looks like I will not be going winter camping as they are backed up about a month before they can start on it. Oh well, gives me time to plan our spring southwest tour.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lessmore wrote:
All I could afford wrote:
My 2013 6.8 L V10 at work swallowed a valve when it was 2 years old. Was just a few hundred miles over warrantee and Ford refused any goodwill offer. We installed a new ford crate motor, and not even 2 years later that one also swallowed a valve.

Closer inspection revealed that one of the rocker arms had side to side play, and caused it to damage the valve retaining mechanism. Third motor is so far so good. We run our work trucks hard at my job, but use Motorcraft semi synthetic and Motorcraft filters once a month.

On a sidenote, our 2009 Ram 6.7 Cummins just put a rod through the block toward the back on the driver side, but it ran 490,000 miles in those 8 years!

Does your company still buy Ford trucks after this pattern valve issue and Ford's response to provide some financial support ? Not trying to start a range war, just curious as we have considered buying a new Ford vehicle.

Kind of an unusual pattern for the normally bulletproof V10. Surely this is just a freak occurance (twice) or something wrong with the maintenance program?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
My 2013 6.8 L V10 at work swallowed a valve when it was 2 years old. Was just a few hundred miles over warrantee and Ford refused any goodwill offer. We installed a new ford crate motor, and not even 2 years later that one also swallowed a valve.

Closer inspection revealed that one of the rocker arms had side to side play, and caused it to damage the valve retaining mechanism. Third motor is so far so good. We run our work trucks hard at my job, but use Motorcraft semi synthetic and Motorcraft filters once a month.

On a sidenote, our 2009 Ram 6.7 Cummins just put a rod through the block toward the back on the driver side, but it ran 490,000 miles in those 8 years!

Does your company still buy Ford trucks after this pattern valve issue and Ford's response to provide some financial support ? Not trying to start a range war, just curious as we have considered buying a new Ford vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Waiting to hear the issue. These are pretty bulletproof engines.
Glad your truck and the tow driver are ok, sheesh. You might have had a new one....compliments of the towing outfit!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did get a loaner but it will not tow my trailer, he he. A new Fusion. Beets walking though.

Should have mentioned it is a gasser, 6.2

Tow truck dude dropped it off the flat bed, lucky it didn't hurt anybody. He had it almost all the wway on the bed but had pulled it up by the tow hooks and put it in park while he changed the cables to the frame behind the front diff. Then he pulled it out of park before he took up the slack on the winch again. I was surprised he got up off the ground quick enough to stop it from hitting a truck that was 20 feet behind it. Dude fell about 4 feet to the ground too.

Then the guy who came with a new flatbed, (first one had a broken cable, imagine that), cut the front air dam with his cable. It was a free tow but geez!

Anyway, I may or may not hear the diagnosis tomorrow. The local Ford dealer is plenty busy being the only local dealer for an area with a couple hundred thousand people.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
keymastr wrote:
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.

A loaner is really up to the discretion of the dealer. If you do have Fords ESP plan you automatically get a loaner.

BTW... A lot of bad assumptions going on. Anyways Good luck!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you get it fixed without a hassle. Several years ago I had a Freestar that the torque converter went out and trashed the tranny. My dealer fixed it fairly quick.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2004 Duramax start knocking horribly a few years ago. Sounded like rocks in the engine. Turned out to just be a broken injector connector. Easy fix.

My 2015 Ram had warranty repair DPF last summer. Took 1 week. Chrysler rented me a pick up from Enterprise. It was just a 1500, but was more than I expected.

Hopefully all will go well.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unusual for this type of problem in any of the late model trucks. Hope they take care of you.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you get it straightened out! With these new engines, a simple electronic component can wreak havoc. Hopefully its nothing major and covered. The 6.2 gas is a very dependable engine and I haven't heard of any issues with the 6.7 (especially a 2016 model year). My friend has a 2016 (I think... redesign was 2017, right?) and he LOVES it!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS