cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm loving it!

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
Finally had a good (or better) excuse to get me a new truck. My sister asked to buy my truck after having multiple sensor issues with theirs. I said, "umm....ok?" Gotta do for family, right?
I was happy with my 2011 F350. Did a lot of suspension upgrades to carry the weight of our 2014 arctic fox 811. Spent a lot of money to do those upgrades too. Things like air bags, rear anti sway bar, and vision heavy hauler 19.5 wheels with tires. They did the job well for us during the last couple years. I'll miss my old truck....
So here's my new addition: an f350 drw. Transferred the air bags from my old truck but it doesn't look like I'll need to use them, as this truck's suspension handles the weight of our camper pretty well. I also like the exhaust brake which wasn't in my 2011. I was concerned about the af 811, which is made for the short bed, sitting in the long bed. There is about a 12-14" space behind the cab area but with this weekend's campout in the rain, it proved to be a handy spot in which to throw all the wet gear without putting it in the camper itself. I see it as a great cargo spot until the urge to upgrade the camper hits. Anyway, the drw does feel more stable. The gvwr of my 2011 was 10,000#. This new truck is 14,000#, so that alone gives me more peace of mind. Looking forward to some great trips this summer. Hope you all get out and enjoy your rigs too!

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel, Firestone Airbags, On-Board Air compressor
2014 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift Tie-downs, Torklift fast guns
14 REPLIES 14

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
T3PAIR wrote:
YnotTurbo wrote:
Congrats on the new truck,,,,the long bed gives you a good (or better)reason to buy a new slide in camper. Nice truck.. enjoy your up coming trip/s...

In 6-8 months, how about I lead-in with, "Sweetie, does this camper make my truck look too big?"

You can say,,, we can get more stuff in the new camper and more slide outs...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Bedlam
My gap between my AF811 and cab is filled with the spare. I also block the front of the TC to the head ache rack so it does not creep forward:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
T3PAIR wrote:
In 6-8 months, how about I lead-in with, "Sweetie, does this camper make my truck look too big?"

That could work or just casually stop by a RV lot with the idea that you are looking for ideas on what to change in yours. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Visiting other campers while out works well, too. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You're a real trouper, taking one for the family like that. ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
Congrats on the new truck,,,,the long bed gives you a good (or better)reason to buy a new slide in camper. Nice truck.. enjoy your up coming trip/s...

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would most definitely recommend building a frame of sorts. I do not know if there ever was a sliding issue as I have always had the brace in place.

You may be fine now, but if there might be a time when you might have to stomp on the brakes a solid support between the truck and camper bulkheads will take up that energy... else, it will be stressing the tie downs. A couple of 2x4's is cheap insurance for this use.

I spaced my such that it allows for a little under 2" at the tail lights.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
T3PAIR wrote:
...~snip~ I was concerned about the af 811, which is made for the short bed, sitting in the long bed. There is about a 12-14" space behind the cab area but with this weekend's campout in the rain, it proved to be a handy spot...~snip~

Dittos to that!

That space sure is handy. I did the same as you and it is where my 3000 generator lives with a lot of space left over and access the to tho forward wheel wells. Congrats on the new wheels!

Did you ever have issues with camper sliding forward enough to scratch your rear light lenses? I noticed you built a frame to fit between your camper and bulk head. I just made sure my front tie downs weren't as tight as my rear ones. Didn't seem to shift at all.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I kept a 50 gal aux fuel tank in front of my short bed camper when I had it.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
T3PAIR wrote:
...~snip~ I was concerned about the af 811, which is made for the short bed, sitting in the long bed. There is about a 12-14" space behind the cab area but with this weekend's campout in the rain, it proved to be a handy spot...~snip~

Dittos to that!

That space sure is handy. I did the same as you and it is where my 3000 generator lives with a lot of space left over and access the to tho forward wheel wells. Congrats on the new wheels!

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy camping.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up and just be happy that your sister never told on you for all the stuff you got away with! ๐Ÿ™‚

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats, but doesn't someone in your family need your camper ... so you can buy a longer one? ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member