Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I wonder if this is a gimmick

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

I'm always looking for new ways to heat the TT. I found this but,I'm thinking that there is a law of physics here that they are trying to violate. The only advantage I see is that it would continue to radiate heat after being stopped. Something tells me that this just won't work the way they say.

On there other hand I have seen tests that prove you can take 2 clay pots with sand in the middle and the inner pot will get colder because the heat is wicked away to the outside. But, I think this is a different deal.
32 REPLIES 32

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
The website does not make claims that violate the laws of physics, the product will do what they claim. The trick is the product is changing the type of energy from a flame that is directly heating air through convection, to an object that is heating by radiating and IR. It is the difference between a forced air furnace, and the radiating coil heaters you sometimes see in apartments. The device feels more effective because radiated energy is more directly felt on skin and objects. The website does a poor job describing it, but this is the effect. They are not claiming the device emits more energy than is put in, but rather the energy is changed into something more effective at giving the person the perception they are warmer because of the radiated energy.

It also captures the soot

Lighting 6-8 votives in our bedroom at home definately increases the temperature over time.

Is it worth what they are charging? HECK NO!!! This definately falls in the catagory of way over priced for what you get considering you can DIY for about $5 (see the above), but you are getting something that does what it states with the price shown up front. I can think of a number of other products that fall into this catagory of poor performance to price. If you want to see some true snake oil, look in to the "high end" audio world.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Try this it seems a better mousetrap. 15 cents a day to heat a room

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/11/heat-your-room-for-15-cents-day.html
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Try this it seems a better mousetrap. 15 cents a day to heat a room

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/11/heat-your-room-for-15-cents-day.html
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am getting TWO, right after I fill my tires with nitrogen and get my magnets for the fuel line.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if this is a gimmick
Don't have to wonder much at all to put a check mark in the gimmick box.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Maybe they used the candles to light some green leafy substance while using this device....:W....Dennis

Dennis, that is not how one cooks spinach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Candles kill rats? Headlines tomorrow!

I know you're joking PT but thought I'd mention that rats LOVE candles. :B

Rats love candles?

Eating the wax or watching the flame?

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Would you really buy something from a web site that poorly designed? A 10 year old can make a more professional looking site.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
This is as bad as the magnetic device you install in the gas line of your car, which aligns all the molecules in your fuel and gets you a 50% increase in MPG.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Used this same type setup 40 yrs ago before TT had safe furnesses.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
kaydeejay wrote:

And the heat from the candle (@ 50 BTUs/Hr) is going to be in the room whether or not this gizmo is over it or not.

And faster.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
The biggest gain from this is all the black soot will end up in the clay pot instead of on your ceilings.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd be more worried about an open flame waiting to ignite something than the physics of the whole thing!!
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
Maybe they used the candles to light some green leafy substance while using this device....:W....Dennis

Ha Ha, I think that's how they came up with the idea. They were setting around one day and said "Dude, lets put the empty flower pot over the incense candle and see what happens".