cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Identify brand of the airbags / proper pressure, etc.

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
The PO of the truck that I got last year installed airbags.
I wasn't really aware of it (or rather, I didn't pay much attention) before. Yesterday, I measured the pressure in them and it's pretty low, barely tipping the gauge.

I'm not sure what brand they are, what is the operating pressure range, etc.

Where do I look to be able to identify what I got, and how do I go about figuring out the proper pressure.

I've installed stableloads, and they help, but I still get quite a bit of sag when I load the camper.

The rig in question is a 2005 F350 DRW with a 2001 AF 1150.
13 REPLIES 13

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Funny thing happened on the way to LA last year had a blow out which ripped out the airlines for the airbags. Drove another 600 miles without them, ride was a bit softer than I like but unsafe or terrible handling no. My load varies by up to 1500 pounds on any given trip. From having just a couple of hundred pounds of food and gear for work trips to 6-800 more pounds with the kayaks and fishing gear to a max load when I have the horse trailer hooked up behind the truck and TC with 3 horses in it. The airbags are the only system I see that is quickly and infinitely adjustable to level the load regardless of the weight in the equation. Unloaded neither the airbags or stableloads come into play. The only suspension mod I have that is always active are the Roadmaster anti-sway bars
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
did the super springs then talked to two suspension shops have the supersprings in my junk room still have the air bags on but had the old springs rebent and two extra leafs added to the rear springs seems like the hamilton county Tn had ambulances with supersprings they junked them and went to a suspension shop a good recommendation for me
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
? While my opinion how weight/handling addressed is a personal choice and there are several ways, I can see the merits of some of them as you mentioned.

However I completely disagree with your dismissal of the advantages of air bags with a truck camper. To the point if I were given a set of springs, bump stop/overload extensions etc or other method I would not remove our air bags to install and lose what I perceive and utilize as the advantages of air bags.

Or simply, I like our air bags, thank you. Though not to the point that I could recommend other folks not consider other options and dismiss the advantages of them? At least I don't think my way is The way. There are many mechanical failures that might cut our trips short-air bag failure not one of them, and I rely on ours heavily.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had your truck the first thing I would do is take it to a CAT scale and get the weights on the front and rear wheels with and without the camper. Then knowing the increased load on the rear wheels with the camper I would order a set of SuperSprings and when they arrived I would remove the air bags and install the Supersprings which in total would take at most a couple of hours.

The Supersprings are not active unless the camper is on the truck and then the amount of support varies with the load to support the weight. Nothing to adjust and nothing to fail and no impact on the stock ride of the truck when the camper is off.

Air bags are suitable for use with a trailer to exactly manage the height of the truck to the trailer. For campers they offer no advantages over overload springs and quite a few disadvantages. I also would not want to take a chance of having one of them fail while out traveling with the camper in the truck. It would make it dangerous to drive the truck and it would cut short my trip until I could get the air bag replaced.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds normal to me.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
Update: had some time to deal with the airbags today.

The pressure was around 8-10 PSI, so not completely deflated, which must be good.

It took very little air to inflate them more - every stroke of a floor bicycle pump would raise the pressure about a psi or so.
Is this normal - Is the internal volume of the airbags so small?

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

If you look up air bags specific to your truck, most sites that sell them have instructions you can download.

http://www.truckspring.com/
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Air Lift wants 10 psi min.
I'd keep at least 10 psi in them at all times. When you're loaded put the minimum amount of air necessary to make the truck ride nice.
With my camper 25 pounds makes the ride good but it bottoms out on the bumps. I need 40 psi to avoid that.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I think the owners manual with my firestones on my old truck said 15 lbs minimum to prevent damage to the bags. Most I've read about go up to 100lbs.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Minimum 5#-always, loaded or not. Most are 100# max.
On many the 'brand' is on the side of the bag itself-AirLift-Firestone etc. They are all similar if in the 5000# range.

The actual pressure you would run is to "suit" as needed. Start low, work your way up till your happy, finding your number.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have firestone air bags and I never drive with less than 10' of air in them because after experimenting driving without air I perforated both because of the screws that hold them and with the canper depending on the road conditions 60 to 80'. It is to avoid the swining
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

MaestroPNW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Do you mean, both of the overload sprints (upper and lower)?

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brand shouldn't matter. Keep 5-10 psi in the bags when unloaded.

After loading, put just enough psi to keep your overload springs in contact.

Too much psi and you may rock/roll.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson