Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If the Trailer's a Rockin'....

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
... I must not have it set up right.

So, picture this:
The rear stabilizer jacks are bottomed out and are almost a foot long. The ground is dug out a few inches.
The front passenger side tire was off the ground by an inch. I shoved dirt under it an now it is somewhat back on the ground.
The front stabilizer jacks are sitting on 6x6 blocks and are up about 6 inches above the bottom point(so, 18 inches up)
The tongue jack is almost at its max with a piece of plywood, and 2x12x12 and a 6x6 under it.

There is not much I can do about the slope.

Up front, any movement rocks the trailer.

Suggestions on how to make it more stable?
12 REPLIES 12

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:
However, the fully extended one is longer providing a longer lever which makes it less stable.

Um... isn't this what I stated?

2012Coleman wrote:
The farther the jacks are extended, the less stabilizing they will do. Put a couple of boards under the over extended ones.

And so yes - by your statement, the skinny one (read - fully extended) is less stable.

Just trying to put it in understandable terms.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
samhain7 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
The farther the jacks are extended, the less stabilizing they will do. Put a couple of boards under the over extended ones.

I have read the complete opposite on the forum. Advice that says, the further they are extended the more stabilization.
(I honestly don't know the answer to this, I am only commenting what I read).....
Look at a fully extended stabilizer jack, then look at one that's extended about half. The first one is skinny and the second is fat. The fat one is more stable than the fully extended jack.

Actually, skinny/fat is not relevant as the weight bearing foot print and side bracing are exactly the same extended or not. However, the fully extended one is longer providing a longer lever which makes it less stable.

Take a 4" pipe and cut a piece 3 inches long and try to stand on it. No problem. Take a 4" pipe and cut a piece 2 feet long and try to stand on it. You'll probably fall on your behind. Not because one is skinny and one is fat but because one provides a longer lever which causes a higher center of gravity and less stability.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
As said, level side to side using boards or blocks before you unhook. Lifting wheels will cause the frame to flex and doors and other stuff will not work. Put blocks on the corner so the stabilizers are no more than half way. Have never heard the more the better, have always read the less the better. Our last trip we needed an extra 6 inches under the front jack to level front to back.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the comments. I will put more blocks under the extended stabilizers and the tongue jack.

Once I do it, I will update.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sort of setting the TT frame on blocks or multiple jacks, I have never seen a way to stabilize a TT for any length of time.

I do not think the TT frame is stiff enough to dampen vibrations unless supported at multiple points.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
samhain7 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

I have read the complete opposite on the forum. Advice that says, the further they are extended the more stabilization.
(I honestly don't know the answer to this, I am only commenting what I read).....
Look at a fully extended stabilizer jack, then look at one that's extended about half. The first one is skinny and the second is fat. The fat one is more stable than the fully extended jack.

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You got a problem if you pick up a tire. Stabilizer jacks are not meant to be able to do that. You should have blocks of some sort under the wheels as needed to level, then put stab jacks down just to keep it from bouncing on the springs.

@jpr26789 is right, put 6x6 under the stab jacks, as the shorter extension they have, the more stable they'll be.

And boy, if it feels bouncy/rocky to you, that is a sure sign that it is THIS close to falling off those jacks, tongue jack included.

And you do not want it falling off those jacks. That bends things in ways you do not want to see. Don't ask how I know.

I've been on slopes like that in the mountains, and getting the trailer both level and stable can be a real challenge. As is, sometimes, that bottom step getting in and out of the trailer.

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
If the tires were off the ground, put a 2x6 under them then back on. Also use 6x6 under all 4 corners. Less jack extension makes for more stability.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
... I must not have it set up right.

So, picture this:
The rear stabilizer jacks are bottomed out and are almost a foot long. The ground is dug out a few inches.
The front passenger side tire was off the ground by an inch. I shoved dirt under it an now it is somewhat back on the ground.
The front stabilizer jacks are sitting on 6x6 blocks and are up about 6 inches above the bottom point(so, 18 inches up)
The tongue jack is almost at its max with a piece of plywood, and 2x12x12 and a 6x6 under it.

There is not much I can do about the slope.

Up front, any movement rocks the trailer.

Suggestions on how to make it more stable?

Did you have a the wheel chocks in for both sides of the trailer???? If not, buy a set of chock that you can tighten up between the tires.