cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Improve my suspension

Gnsolman
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to improve my suspension when pulling my 15000lb fifth wheel with a 2008 2500HD Chevy Duramax. Any suggestions.
31 REPLIES 31

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
Gnsolman wrote:
Thanks Jimln My Durmax is rated for 22000 lbs Thats for a combined weight of the truck and the trailer Last I put it on the scale it came in @ 22500lbs and I had fluids in the tanks We also emptied some items So long story short we are well within the GVW of the vehicle Weights I believe the fifth wheel pin weight for the trailer is at about 1750lbs What started my whole search was we just moved are fifth wheel on a 1100 mile trip We came home without it We felt great when we got out of the vehicle running without the fifth wheel. With the fifth wheel stiff and sore for the first few steps getting out for fuel We have traveled from Florida Keys to Alaska so lets just say I've hauled the fifth wheel over 50000 mile on various trips
I'm liking the airbag suggestion Thanks again Jimln

15,000lbs times 11.5% = 1725 lbs pin weight. 11.5% is really low for 5er pin weight. Normally they will north of 20% or 3,000 lbs. Recommended is between 15% and 25% with most of them at that weight are north 20%.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, welcome!
The weight cops jumped on this one early......
As said, your 2500 is really a 3500 with a tax deduction and softer springs.
Not sure how stiff and sore equate to pulling the river vs driving empty.....anyway.
You've pulled a fiver for 50k mi. Presuming this fiver and truck??
If so, you've either been driving with the rear end of your truck squatted out for that long or you really have a light pin weight as stated.
You don't even specify what you're looking for, rather complaining about the drive......
So to put together a bunch of assumptions, I'll assume a light pin that the 2500 factory springs are handling alright, but you're getting sick of the big 5ver bucking the truck all day long. Am I on track so far?
Provided you're not overloading the heck out of your rear suspension, stiffer leaf springs or airbags and good shocks or an air ride hitch will all serve to reduce the bucking in their own way.
Otoh, if it's just your nerves shot from white knuckling a big arse trailer X country, then a bigger truck or less towing may be the solution.
If you sensed any sarcasm, it's because you need to describe your problem and what you're trying to accomplish.......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
WOW, 15K 5er and pin weight of only 1750, you must have a ton of weight hanging off the back to lighten up the pin that much since the typical pin for 15K should be in the 3K area.
By your own words (We felt great when we got out of the vehicle running without the fifth wheel) vs (With the fifth wheel stiff and sore). Seems to me that's it's not such an enjoyable experience.
Need I say more, since you said it yourself?

Wow, for sure not a great ride, with that low of pin, at 11,000#+, we run at 2,100# to 2,200#.

That is only 11.6% pin WAY too low for a 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW, 15K 5er and pin weight of only 1750, you must have a ton of weight hanging off the back to lighten up the pin that much since the typical pin for 15K should be in the 3K area.
By your own words (We felt great when we got out of the vehicle running without the fifth wheel) vs (With the fifth wheel stiff and sore). Seems to me that's it's not such an enjoyable experience.
Need I say more, since you said it yourself?
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Gnsolman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jimln My Durmax is rated for 22000 lbs Thats for a combined weight of the truck and the trailer Last I put it on the scale it came in @ 22500lbs and I had fluids in the tanks We also emptied some items So long story short we are well within the GVW of the vehicle Weights I believe the fifth wheel pin weight for the trailer is at about 1750lbs What started my whole search was we just moved are fifth wheel on a 1100 mile trip We came home without it We felt great when we got out of the vehicle running without the fifth wheel. With the fifth wheel stiff and sore for the first few steps getting out for fuel We have traveled from Florida Keys to Alaska so lets just say I've hauled the fifth wheel over 50000 mile on various trips
I'm liking the airbag suggestion Thanks again Jimln

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Strabo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bags and 19.5's you can tow anything!!!

Thats how we roll in the toyhauler section!!!!

Honestly I wish more people would. It is very sickening to see all these 250/2500 trucks heading to and from the desert on I-10 in the Palm Springs area with their AZZ dragging and head lights pointing to the sky. Oh yea bouncing along with the big fatty tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thats how we roll in the toyhauler section!!!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
Is 15K the max weight on the trailer or the empty weight?
My 5th wheel weighs in at 10,560 dry with a max of 14,000+. I have firestone airbags added to my Dodge 2500 and run about 22 lbs in them. If you are starting at 15K you need more truck.

X2
Pretty much the nail on the head! HD2500 is a 3500 with a tax break. That being the 10,000# GVWR limit. The differences between 2500/250's and SRW 3500/350's is the Class 2 GVWR of 10,000# and possibly softer springs.
It is the owners choice to exceed the GVWR, no suggestion to do so.
Yes, will be over GVWR, the numbers to watch then are the TIRE max capacity rating.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum.
As you see you will get all kinds of answers.

Your 2500 GM rear suspension is limited by the small 6200 RAWR which includes rear spring pack/wheels and tires.
Check out our truck camper forum as many over there upgrade their trucks rear suspension to safely to carry 3k-6k truck campers.
Cummins has a very good recommendation of bags and 19.5" wheels and tires. We have several good aftermarket products to beef the rear suspension. Also adding rear suspension leafs in the spring pack by a spring shop is another favorite for experienced heavy haulers.
Let google be your friend.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags will keep you truck level and your headlights on the road, however I agree with above comments, you will most probably be dangerously overweight.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Timbrens or airbags. I like the simplicity of the Timbrens but they aren't adjustable like airbags.

You need to post more information if you want helpful input, though. Axle ratings, tire ratings, more info on the trailer, etc.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Moved from Forum Technical Support

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Since this was your first post and you have gotten some not so encouraging answers...and correct ones at that...I'll just add:
Welcome to the Forum.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you two guys said that. When I read the OP' post I was saying, "WHAT??"
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."