cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

incline parking for storage

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to park a tt on an incline? Is so, how?

The reason I am asking is we have a steep driveway that I would like to use for trailer storage.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200
22 REPLIES 22

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Well we decided to keep our storage place. The levelers were not tall enough 4 1/2 inches and to be tall enough would scare us to put one set of tires on. We released the ball and our blocks didnt hold the trailer so we never put the jack down. I kept thinking the words on this thread - the jack will not hold the weight of the trailer or stop the trailer from rolling. We parked it in the culdesac until we leave. Neighbors are pretty good as long as we dont leave it over the weekend. Also x chocks have a warning to not be used as a brake. Our regular chocks an unmatched big rubber chocks didnt hold.

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
I was out of pocket.

Someone asked about GRADE....100% Grade is a 45 degree angle.

Most highways are max around a 7% grade or 5.5 degrees of slope.

This is a rise of 1 foot for around every 14 feet you travel forward.

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the drawing as it has given me ideas of leveling. I have the x chocks now and plan to use them plus our current chocks. Thanks for the tip on tire pressure. I never knew why the trailer had to be level. I thought it just common sense never figuring the operation on the trailer depended on it. Now I am thinking differently and I thank you all for opening my eyes!

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
limbery wrote:
Question ... Is it more important for an rv fridge to be level front to back of fridge or l to r? Or both?

LEVEL IS LEVEL Fore or Aft or L to Rโ€ฆ

As you face the fridge door the most important would be L to Rโ€ฆ

But level is level the same today as it was years agoโ€ฆ and running a fridge out of level today can be just as damaging is it was beforeโ€ฆ
The only difference between the old style and the new style fridge is they moved the perk tube to the inside of the boilerโ€ฆ this slows down the damaging effect and crystallization of the solution and with a little LUCK will prevent most of the crystallization that is cumulative in nature and permanentโ€ฆ

IMO this has only changed the risk to new and different riskโ€ฆ it reduced the risk of overheating the fluid in the perk tube but allows the boiler and tubing itself to get hotter and failโ€ฆ fail in the area of the heat source raising the risk of firesโ€ฆ

While I donโ€™t have the evidence, the labs, or the resources to prove that, I think the 7 or 8 plus million recalled and the many re- recalled (new style) cooling units that pose a fire risk give cause to question the ideaโ€ฆ worse yet the second and third generation recalls just lock the cooling unit out to prevent it from being used says they donโ€™t know how to fix itโ€ฆ

There are three requirements for the proper and safe operation of a absorption fridge and they havenโ€™t changed and are just as important today as they ever wereโ€ฆ

THREE REQUIREMENTS - FOR PROPER OPERATION
1. Level
2. Air Flow (Good Ventilation)
3. Heat (Precise heat)
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Terrydactile
Explorer
Explorer
X-chocks, if you choose to use them, should not be they only method of chocking the trailer on a slope for extended periods. The reason, if air is lost in one or both tires the chock could loosen up enough to allow the trailer to move. JMHO
Scott & Theresa Boyd
2 Daughters (Cassie & Brittany)
1 Furkid (Ella, a Basset Golden mix)
2008 Keystone Passport 280BH
2013 F 150 Supercrew EcoBoost XLT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
limbery wrote:
Question ... Is it more important for an rv fridge to be level front to back of fridge or l to r? Or both?

BOTH....
MFG. recommends no more than 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front to back.

The ammonia vapor gets condensed back into liquid and flows via gravity to lower section then gets heated back up into vapor and rises to upper section(s).

Because of the thermodynamics and gravity the fridge needs to be 'reasonably level' so that the 'solution' does not stagnate in one area becoming crystallized and end up causing blockage....which causes overheating of tubes. Tubes crack/split......ammonia solution leak. DEAD fridge.

Operating while traveling is not a problem due to the rocking/rolling of rig.....keeps the solution in motion
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Bonefish wrote:
limbery wrote:
phillyg wrote:

Like this!

this is very interesting. i have a sloped driveway, relatively steep. i can raise the front up enough to be close to level, and so my fridge will cool overnight. i've always been concerned about rear axle weight.

i love what you've done here as far as leveling is concerned. do you believe that also reduces the weight off the axle not on your leveling blocks?

also, i'm looking for a good grade percent calculator so i know what my driveway's slope is. i can find one that calculates feet drop per mile, anyone know of one that calculates inches, per feet so it's more ideal for a grade the size of a driveway?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

limbery
Explorer
Explorer

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
limbery wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Left to right, no. Fore and aft, yes. I level the trailer to the slope to ensure the weight is equal on each axle, too.

How do you do that on a slope? Mine is jacked up in the front as high as I'm comfortable and it's not completely level F to B but there's obviously more weight on the rear axel than the front...

Like this!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you level the TT in the driveway then there is no need to worry about leaving the fridge on, you just don't want to run the fridge off level for any period of time or possible damage may occur. Fridges are meant to operate off level to some extent, unless you only drive on perfectly level roads.....Running them at extreme angles for long periods interferes with the circulation of the ammonia solution which relies on thermodynamics to work properly, and that's what can cause the damage.

At any rate I would make plans to store the TT level even if the driveway is steep...make getting in/out and packing stuff a lot easier, also easier on the slide mechanism if you have one, plus you can leave the fridge on too....

Makes no difference if on 120v or gas...the fridge works exactly the same, the only difference being whether the ammonia solution is heated by a gas flame or an electric heating element.

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I thought off level operation of absorption fridges wasn't an issue if it was on 120v?
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed it as well.

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
HaHaHA! Old-Biscuit said hogwash!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
chevyman2 wrote:

NOW LISTEN CLOSE... After you move the TT back to more level ground. I would not turn the fridge on for at least 24 hours.

Hog wash........
absorption fridges have no moving parts..they work off thermodynamics and gravity.

Operating 'off level' will cause accumulative damage

Storing it off level has no effect on a non-operating fridge.
When you get rig level the ammonia solution will equalize in absorber tank and liquid heat exchanger.

Turn it ON.

It might take 24 hrs. to fully cool down but you don't need to wait 24 hrs. after leveling to turn it on.
Don't even have to wait an hour.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31