cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant MPG

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2013 GMC 3500 diesel truck and on the dic it will give me average MPG and the owners manual states that instant mpg is available if so equipped. My question is is it a software or hardware issue and is it something I could have the GMC dealer add? I wish the mfg. would make a manual that matched the vehicle that you purchase with just what is on the vehicle in the manual....
21 REPLIES 21

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I use this and use the Torque app to see instant mpg on my smartphone or tablet. My ecm has this information but my dic doesn't support it. Works great and there are other things you can load to watch also such as boost,fuel flow,coolant temp and more
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize that "Instant MPG" doesn't mean that you're gonna instantly get more MPGs, right:?:B

Would be nice to be able to push a button, and go from 7 MPG to 10 MPG......or tap it several times, and get up to 20+ MPG:B
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The older Duramax's did have instant MPG but it was removed in 2007 I believe when they went to the new body style.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2004.5 Chevy D/A also has both instant and average MPG's given on the DIC (Driver Information Center). In the nearly 150K miles the truck has gone since we purchased it new, I've never yet seen even .2 MPG difference between the DIC readout and hand calculated MPG's. I'd call that being very accurate! I always fill it to 1" to 2" below the filler tube top for accurate repeatability in fueling.

Can't be real accurate when I have the 100 gal aux tank in the bed when towing the 5th wheel as being parked on slight angled surface under the truck makes several gallons difference added before the level reaches the same point of reference at the filler opening. Can be very close over 3 or more fillups but that takes a lot of miles of travel to use that much fuel. Can't have the TC and the aux tank in the bed at the same time so MPGs can be found with accuracy.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004.5 GMC is equipped with average and instant MPG. Not sure about the newer ones.
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

azwildcat99
Explorer
Explorer
With GM, I think the instant is only available on vehicles with the Active Fuel Management engines.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 4X4 D/A
2012 Heartland Prowler 27P BHS
Honda EU2000i

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what the manual says only average MPG is available. No option to add instant. You do get somewhat of an instant MPG for a few seconds after each reset.

On Some trucks the avg MPG is accurate but most of the time they read high because the computer assumes less fuel has been consumed than actual. I am always able to add more fuel to my truck 1-1.5gal than the computer says has been used since last fillup. You need to compare hand calculated values to the computer readout for a few tanks to get an idea of how accurate yours is.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch