Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intro - Hawke

Hawke
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

I've been lurking on the forum for a little while and thought I'd introduce myself. I live outside of Albuquerque, NM.

Last summer I bought a (roughly) 1990 Jayco Sportster 8. I haven't gone anywhere with it yet other than a single local overnighter the 4th night I had it. Nothing was set up yet. It has a 3 burner stove, 3-way fridge, 15 gallon (calculated) water tank and a sink with a manual pump.

Since I got it I have had many learning experiences. I switched from cruddy drop-in type tie-downs to Torklifts. I have removed and replaced all the caulking on the camper (not the prettiest job but it seems to be sealed according to the last rainstorm). I built a 6" storage box underneath to give me extra room for flat storage (such as the dog ramp, etc). This of course caused the jacks to be too short and I had to make jack extenders. I have 3 jacks and at one point (before the extenders) as I was lowering it after getting it off the truck, the single jack broke off and the entire thing collapsed to the ground so that had to be repaired (installed a whole new piece of plywood). :S I replaced the hand pump at the sink. I had to replace a connector for the external water hose.

I have a battery now installed in the truck bed (connected to the truck alternator with an isolator and fuse) and am trying to figure out how to connect the camper to it.

I joined the Good Sam Club on Saturday and signed up for Roadside Assistance this evening.

My very first real trip starts this Friday - driving from Albuquerque, NM to Soldotna, AK. :E If anybody has words of wisdom to share, I'm more than happy to hear them! I wish I had time for a shakedown trip, but my insane schedule didn't allow it and I *have* to leave Friday. I'm heading up to work for 3 months before coming back down. My 3 dogs are going with me.

My route up will take me through Yellowstone, Banff, Jasper and Dawson City. My route back will go through Seattle, Portland, Boise.

I know I'll forget something behind and won't manage to get everything done at home (like leaving the place remotely clean), but I'm SO tired of all the prep and would like to just hit the road... just a few more days (and one more night shift after this one is done).

Hawke
'90 Jayco Sportster 8
'06 F250 SuperDuty
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming "Wow what a ride!"
8 REPLIES 8

Hawke
Explorer
Explorer
I do plan on rigging something between the bumper and a hitch mounted cargo carrier that will protect the tailgate. I got the idea from a picture I saw of a protector between an RV and a toad. Also planning on putting some closed-cell foam layers between the tailgate and the bumper to try and minimize the stress. The tailgate gives me a bit of a step outside the camper door and I will want it when I get to my destination and take the camper back off.

I have got to figure out how to connect the camper to the battery tomorrow. Running out of time. So much to do. I'm very much on the stressed side right now...
'90 Jayco Sportster 8
'06 F250 SuperDuty
Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming "Wow what a ride!"

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome, sleep in your truck in the driveway. What you learn will probably be helpful and easier to deal with compared to being on the road.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
A horse blanket attached to the bumper, wrapped around the tailgate and tucked under the TC will save your tailgate. I would run without the tailgate unless your camper has floor issues that do no allow it to hang off the rear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and the TC world.
Roadside Assistance is a good choice, I have used it and it saved me a $500 tow bill when the trucks rear end decided to grenade on our way home a couple of years ago. Enjoy your trip.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex ๐Ÿ˜„
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not know from experience but I have read many times, with the tailgate down on a trip like yours it will be destroyed from gravel. You might want to start a Thread asking if it is true, and what is the fix.

Tailgates are very pricy.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Hawke, welcome to the forum and to Truck Camping. We did the Alaska Highway last year it was an amazing trip. I hope you have enough time to do a bit of sightseeing the scenery on the route your are taking is spectacular. Overall the Alaska highway is in good condition except for the 80 miles from approximately Kluane National Park to the Alaska border. This stretch of road is built on permafrost so every year the pavement gets bumpy and potholed. We could barely keep a speed of 35-40 MPH. So allow extra time for this stretch. Here is a link to our blog on that trip if you are interested jcgoodlife.wordpress.com. Safe travels and good luck on the new job.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

Hawke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab (6.0), 126K miles.

I've driven it to Las Cruces and back, about 240 miles each way, and am getting comfortable driving it. I'd like to try and sleep in it in the driveway with the dogs one night - but I'm running out of nights! Only have 2 nights left at home before leaving.

I hope my jack will work. My tires are basically new, only about 6K miles on them. Just got an oil change and asked them to check everything out well. Need to change the front brake pads before I leave. I have new wipers to install. Bought extra tailgate cables (tailgate has to be down, I have a short bed).
'90 Jayco Sportster 8
'06 F250 SuperDuty

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't night shifts great?!! (kidding) Good luck on your maden voyage. Check your air pressure in your tires as well as your spare. And have a good enough jack in case you need it. but then you got the road side so that will be a good piece of mind.

Take your time and dont take chances. The first trip takes a good couple of hundred of miles to get used to.

What truck are you driving?
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD