cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it hard for a novice to repack bearings???

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
im lost with this. 2011 featherlite 17.. im not sure if the bearings have ever been done. im no mechanic and don't pretend to be.LOL. is this a simple diy job or a job for a rv place to handle? Im assuming after 2-3 years that I should have them redone? if this is an easy job to do myself how is this done? the previous owner gave me all the manuals that came with camper but I couldn't seem to find anything on the bearings.... thank you for the help....
15 REPLIES 15

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
The video provided by Downtheroad states it clearly, DO NOT place the jack under the axle. Can't trust a half ass shop for any repair. the smallest repairs are the most at risk.

I took my near new Corolla in the shop for electrical troubles. The technician fixed it all right, but he forgot to reconnect the power lead to the rad fan. You'd think with all their electronic fail-safe systems this would show up but no. I found out on the hotest day of summer in heavy trafic. I asked the dealer to make a note of the incident in the car file, FWIW.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
great, now we have to wonder if rv shops know how to jack up a trailer..LOL I would hope this place does. very repetuble dealer in upstate NY

Catrider1
Explorer
Explorer
It took 800 miles of bad tire wear before I realized there was a problem. Took the camper to an alignment shop and they showed me where the jack was placed. No one else has ever put a jack under this unit before this, but after 800 miles how do I prove it? I will do my own work from now on.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
DH had ours done the first year and found later that it wasn't to his quality standards. Since then he's done it every other year. Since wheel bearings are not in my job description, all I know is what he's said.....ugh! It's not a hard job, but messy. If you don't enjoy getting greasy, you won't enjoy this job. Surely you've got a friend who can not only do it, but show you for future reference.....this is at least a 2 beer job. Maybe more. And a bit of cash to sweeten the deal wouldn't hurt. DH can fix most anything anywhere if it comes down to it, so we carry 1 or 2 sets of wheel bearings in our standard supply in the tool and misc cabinet. Finding someone with the right bearings and is open for business on a Sunday afternoon is almost impossible. Motion Industries is where he buys the ones for our ROO and I believe it's a nationwide company.

If the friend doesn't pan out and you've not done a job like this before, I'd pay the price and ask - probably will say no - if you can watch. And that $95 is per axel. It's important part of maintenence and would not skimp on this.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Catrider1 wrote:
If you do it or hire someone to do it, make sure you do NOT jack up the trailer on the axle (close to the tire should be OK). I got lazy last summer and had the local RV fix it shop do my 3 axle trailer and he jacked up each axle in the center of the axle and destroyed all three. Cost me $1400 to have all replaced and new bearing.

You mean your rv shop destroyed all 3 axles and then didn't pay for his mistake??

Catrider1
Explorer
Explorer
If you do it or hire someone to do it, make sure you do NOT jack up the trailer on the axle (close to the tire should be OK). I got lazy last summer and had the local RV fix it shop do my 3 axle trailer and he jacked up each axle in the center of the axle and destroyed all three. Cost me $1400 to have all replaced and new bearing.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I started taking mine to my car mechanic.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
first time ? better to have a friend who knows show you. its not hard BUT things have to go back in the right spot and the nut tension needs to be just right.

Never too old the learn, if this is something you want to do yourself. Brakes and bearings do need to be checked adjusted and properly put back together. Always good to know how it is done.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, it's about $100 to repack bearings and adjust brakes (per axle). I do mine on my 5er every other year.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
yankeeslover wrote:
rv place charges $95.00...maybe I should just pay them? small fee if only every couple years to do? or are rv dealers known to find other troubles?

Any trusted mechanic can pack a bearing. No specific need to go to the RV shop. This is old school low tech stuff. Only worry is they give the job to the barely trained lot kid.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
.delete
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

yankeeslover
Explorer
Explorer
rv place charges $95.00...maybe I should just pay them? small fee if only every couple years to do? or are rv dealers known to find other troubles?

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you have worked on vehicles, know how to use tools, jacks and jack stands it's not hard. If you don't then I would have a mechanic do it.

I'm sure there are videos posted on YouTube showing how to pack wheel bearings.

The toughest part for a novice will be getting the bearings seated and tightened properly when you put it all back together.

Some bearings and grease last a lifetime so you may not need to pack them. The owners manual should show a maintenance schedule.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
first time ? better to have a friend who knows show you. its not hard BUT things have to go back in the right spot and the nut tension needs to be just right.