cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me, or is something wrong with my truck?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I had a 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine and a little 19ft TT rig. I was a good combo, but when I decided to get a bigger TT I wanted to get something a little beefier, so I traded my 1500 in on a 2011 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I also sold off my TT, but ended up not being able to find the TT I wanted locally, so I got a small 16 foot Jayco to use until I find what I want.

So today, I towed this little trailer with my new (to me) 2500HD. Is it just me, or this truck really lacking power? I thought it would be towing this tiny TT without problem, but I swear that my 1500 could have run circles around this 2500HD towing my old 19ft TT which was bigger and weighed 1500lb more this this Jayco.

Is something wrong with my truck, or are these 2011 models of the Silverado 2500, really lacking power?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
85 REPLIES 85

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked/changed the air and fuel filters? Maybe get the fuel pump checked too. It almost seems from what you're describing from a lack of power, especially at higher RPM's. Your mentioning that your catalytic converter seemed plugged up may also be causing issues. Perhaps getting it checked by a mechanic may lead to some insight.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 3500 6.0 with 3.73. Routinely pulled 30K combined up the passes in my area (although not Teton pass), there is nothing wrong with the 6.0 put your foot in it and it makes power.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you can solve what is up with your truck.

What I meant with respect to "blowing anything up" was with respect to adding power to the base motor. The 6.0 seems to respond well and live a long life with even the most ridiculous mods. It is not uncommon to see 600+hp examples running around and doing great. So it is seriously understressed in stock form.

Wow! that is really poor milege. I get better than that towing a trailer through the hills at speeds that allow me to keep up with traffic.

It really does sound like something is amiss with your unit. Keep us all posted.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
I agree. All our little troubles pale in comparison to those who have lost so much in Texas. My heart just aches for those families and children.

To the lighter stuff...

I have the 6.0 with six speed in our 3/4 ton Suburban. It's not a hard hitting beast by any stretch, but it drags our mid sized trailer up any hill at the speed limit. It really does like to rev.

I am going to start with tune by DiabLew this winter. The motor apparently responds well to any premium and experienced tuner. We'll see how that goes and the next step may be forced induction.

There is a lot of power hiding inside that motor. It is very tough and reliable, but in a very mild state of tune for truck duty.

You can waste days researching hop.ups for this motor as the hot rod guys have been going after it for years. There is a huge knowledgr base. Despite differing opinions on the best way to make power, the common theme is that the engine is virtually impossible to blow up

🙂

Honestly, most engines are pretty good these day. I have never in my life blown an engine up or even had to have one rebuilt as a result of my usage. Automatic transmission on the other hand are the bane of my existence and I have had them fail me on a routine bases. I love stick shifts. Unfortunately after years of effort and almost dying a couple times trying to teach my wife to drive a stick, I have accepted that I have to own autos that have the cursed automatic transmission.

I have no doubt that this 6.0 in my truck has a lot more power then what I am seeing. The question is, what is it going to take to bring it out? I will start with the besics, new pulgs, wires, filter, etc. Then I will take it down and have my mechanc test it's performance. If all goes well there, I will do the Black Bear Tune on it as was suggested. Hopefully that will get it to where it needs to be.

Just as a side note. Yesterday on my way home I drove 70mph all the way (I had been keeping it under 65). It is pretty flat ground here west Texas, but I was fighting a head wind of about 15 mph. My average mpg dropped to 7.

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. All our little troubles pale in comparison to those who have lost so much in Texas. My heart just aches for those families and children.

To the lighter stuff...

I have the 6.0 with six speed in our 3/4 ton Suburban. It's not a hard hitting beast by any stretch, but it drags our mid sized trailer up any hill at the speed limit. It really does like to rev.

I am going to start with tune by DiabLew this winter. The motor apparently responds well to any premium and experienced tuner. We'll see how that goes and the next step may be forced induction.

There is a lot of power hiding inside that motor. It is very tough and reliable, but in a very mild state of tune for truck duty.

You can waste days researching hop.ups for this motor as the hot rod guys have been going after it for years. There is a huge knowledgr base. Despite differing opinions on the best way to make power, the common theme is that the engine is virtually impossible to blow up

🙂

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
U got it, been praying for those folks for the duration thus far. Looks like a long event, I know that our tech team is on standby from Florida.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally made it back home to my beloved Texas. I would say it is nice to be home, but not when my home state is in trouble and tens of thousands of families have lost everything. My truck troubles may have to wait. I may have to head to the coast to assist in relief efforts as soon as the storm clears if they will have me. Prayers for the hurting are apreciated.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then try the filters as was suggested and check for codes.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a done deal. Gonna try to make this truck work first.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy that ( new to you ) duramax ! 🙂 😉

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Certainly nothing at all wrong with wanting a new or different truck. Sounds like the OP wants a duramax.

Having said that, just the $$ spent on sales tax alone on a new or newer truck would likely solve any and all issues with his current 6.0 gasser.

Dollars and sense.

Nobody said anything about "New". I paid 14K for this truck a couple months ago and it was a great deal, I am sure I could sell it for 13K or more. If the cost of making this truck a decent tow vehicle is going to run 5k or something like that, I am getting close to a decent used duramax at that price. And I just bet that there is no one who try to argue that a gasser is better for towing then duramax.

Dollars and sense.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly nothing at all wrong with wanting a new or different truck. Sounds like the OP wants a duramax.

Having said that, just the $$ spent on sales tax alone on a new or newer truck would likely solve any and all issues with his current 6.0 gasser.

Dollars and sense.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a 350 mile trip. My TC and boat in tow. I averaged 9.1 mpg. TC about 4k boat about 3.5k at about 60 mph. I have been very happy with my 2017 6.0
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a mid profile 34 foot fifth wheel, around 10k and pull around Florida, Georgia, Tenn, NC, and SC. In Florida I lock out 6 gear and stay in 5th, Mpg's pulling 8.5-9.0. Other states usually around 8.0 Mpg's, although I have seen 7.5 in the hill areas. I usually cruise in 5th at 65mph tow haul mode on. Up north Georgia I just leave it in 4th again keeping 65mph. No problems keeping that, unless a long grade comes along. Then I let it drop to 60 or 55 and drop into 3rd. Rpms usually will be around 3800-4200 at this point and it will pull like mad without an issue. I have at times dropped into 2nd and pulled really steep inclines, but that's when the road twist and u can't gain much speed anyway. Regardless I can still pull and rev past 5k on any hill and gain speed but I don't. The engine loves to hover around 4k for long grades or steep grades and keeps speed easily. Remember max TQ on this engine is around 4200 rpm, with the VVTI kicking in around 3800 rpm or so. That's when the engine really wakes up and moves a lot of air. I hope this helps out some from my experience, just trying to help you along the way. With the miles you have on the truck I can see what the poster stated above and check the exhaust for an restriction. I can tell u that my older 02 1500HD with the 4 speed and the lower HP 6.0 pulled pretty well. And that truck I bought with high miles and it had been worked everyday of its life. I mean that truck really paid some dues in its life. I took care of it and the 6.0 was a workhorse, hence I bought the 09 version and have been pleased. Oh I can also list my unloaded mpgs. City, 13.5-15, hwy 17 at 70mph. The tune really wakes up this engine, but first like your already doing, fix the minor issue and then go for a tune or gear swap. Good luck, I hope they find the problem that your having, just reading your post, I can tell u that this is not normal in my opinion only. That's because I have used these trucks for the last 10 years or so. Just trying to give you an honest real life experience with this truck. I don't care if it's not a diesel, happy with it. With only 83k on it now I'm sure to see many long years prior replacement. I'm not going in debt to purchase another again, next time saved cash will be the way I go. Anyway keep us posted.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.